Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219298 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what i can tell every patch added something new annoying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yo dawg we herd you like managing healthbars so we will screw with your heroes mental hygiene even more now.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I really dislike the provision limit, just on principle. They're dictating a finite limit to how you can deal with the RNG. Granted, something is probably reasonable. 16 food is unreasonable though? That was barely enough to deal with starvation on medium sometimes thanks to randomLOLhunger.

As for the enemy attack debuffs...that would seem like the kind of thing you add in over champion and w/e difficulties. Just seems like more beating the shit out of people from Day 1 for new players.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I just lost a second party, this time to the Wizened Hag. She was down to less than 10 HP when my Plague Doctor finally fell.

Two TPKs in one night, down to 5k gold. I think I'm done for the day.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was barely enough to deal with starvation on medium sometimes thanks to randomLOLhunger.

To be honest they need to remake the hunger system completely. As is you can literally eat 4 units of food with everyone to heal and next corridor they suddenly starve.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Patch hit me hard, I think i'm gonna go back and adjust the skills again (i.e. stress heal spells get about 25% buff, normal heals about +1/2).

The most annoying thing for me is that I can't just take my "high" level dudes into a dungeon and help out the lil ones level with that or farm easy cash that just takes time. If you do a level 1 mission with 4x 0 0 0 0 guys or with 4x 2 2 2 2 guys - the game does not care, but it should. Allow us to do a level 1 run with a "3 1 0 0" party for example, since the total level is still lower then would be expected. Aarrgg - didn't even find any mods to fix this yet...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

you should frankly have to pay these characters directly.  too 'df' a system where you take all the profits and force them to meditate or drink because its cheapest for you.

then vets could charge extra or request ownership of a trinket or w.e. to do babysitting jobs.  then you could hire them into a guild.

oh yea.  ownership not being a thing here because because the player gets full control is very communist df.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really dislike the provision limit, just on principle. They're dictating a finite limit to how you can deal with the RNG. Granted, something is probably reasonable. 16 food is unreasonable though? That was barely enough to deal with starvation on medium sometimes thanks to randomLOLhunger.

As for the enemy attack debuffs...that would seem like the kind of thing you add in over champion and w/e difficulties. Just seems like more beating the shit out of people from Day 1 for new players.

They could have made it work if it seemed have a reason to exist other then screw you over :P

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile

That was barely enough to deal with starvation on medium sometimes thanks to randomLOLhunger.

To be honest they need to remake the hunger system completely. As is you can literally eat 4 units of food with everyone to heal and next corridor they suddenly starve.

Yeah I have issues with that too. There are some other instance where they went full RNG, with no regard with logic and that kinda break the immersion.

I actually kinda wish they wrap up the game's ending and start working on something new with better planned game mechanics. I don't hate the game, but I don't see it drastically improving without completely remaking it at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Yeah...this game still suffers horribly from being an incredibly thematic game with some glaringly unthematic gamey bits to it that kinda spoil the experience.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's becoming the poster child for mindlessly tacking on difficulty to a game that already started out quite punishing. But, you know, gotta keep the hardcore crowd from saying they're bad at their jobs.

As I said earlier, I don't understand why they hit the player with all this right at the beginning. The barrier to entry on this game is high, IMO. They've consistently had a problem where the early game is harder than the late game, but do their balancing and mechanics changes account for this? No, they don't. They just keep front loading more difficulty on the game, hoping to make the endgame more challenging while making the beginning just that much worse.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:39:25 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

My god... they're the Youtube of games - every update makes things a bit worse for no adequate reason.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My god... they're the Youtube of games - every update makes things a bit worse for no adequate reason.

It is what I call the "You aren't playing the game the way 'I' want it to be played" development cycle.

A long time ago there was a alien game where a Tesla weapon existed. It wasn't overpowered or anything but it was very effective at hitting little critters and worked well in support with slowing and damaging other aliens.

The developer hated the fact that people were using it as a legitimate weapon and nerfed it to uselessness because people weren't using the weapon the way they wanted to. Not because it was overpowered, not because it was ruining the metagame, or even lore reasons... just because the creator didn't like the idea of it being used as a weapon.

Which yes, artistic integrity is important.

Yet sometimes developers are so focused on how they want their game to be played, that they don't notice that the way the game is currently being played is fine and they shouldn't change it.

Darkest Dungeon is starting to hit that square on. "I want food to be an issue, I don't like that people are just packing a lot of food... I know I'll add artificial scarcity by adding limitations!"

And it isn't that there aren't ways they couldn't be implemented :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

???

No offense, but I think some people here are jumping before actually testing the new system. Food is not *that* limited. The limit is 16 in short runs, 24 in medium ones and... I haven't tested long runs yet but I assume it likewise goes up.

It's not too horrid TBH.

What I find missing is

- more meaningful usefulness for the stuff you can buy.

- make it easier to build yourself up after a catastrophic failure. EG: Giving you discounts for newly recruited heroes' training. Making it easier to build up cash if you're strapped...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:09:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am just trying to understand it is all.

I am not even past the part of the game any of these changes affect.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's true, I haven't played since before Cove. And that food limit sounds reasonable....although I'd prefer not to be limited in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101