Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219284 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Aye, the food limit is high enough that it's a non-issue. Which raises the issue of "Why bother?" I don't know what problem it's supposed to be solving. If the game's supposed to be exploratory, learning how much food to take seems like a reasonable thing to ask people to learn - especially compared to things like "The Plague Doctor is almost mandatory for the Cove because you pretty much need Blight". But, yeah, I really only object on principle - in practice, it changes nothing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Wasn't the problem that food was basically cheap healing, and people just took an inventory full of it and kept healing? Not sure that $75 for 1 hp is a good trade, but maybe in enough quantities it makes it so you don't need to take a healer and can take on harder missions?

Maybe they could have travel rations at $75 which just keep hunger at bay, and deluxe food at $150 that had a chance, say 75%, of healing you for 1hp. People could still try that strategy, it'd just be less effective.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They already introduced a mechanic that limited the amount of food one could eat at a time, which was meant to stop the use of food as healing. Maybe people got around it but I think it would be simpler to tweak that mechanic rather than introducing a whole new one.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

It's still reducing player choice; 'you must play this way.'
You could load up on food, and it was a calculated cost; you lose money and inventory space, and in return gain a weak but at least kind of reliable source of healing.
But that's be further limited to the whims of the RNG. I've had a lot of food just burnt through by repeated hunger checks, so I tended to carry quite a lot.

Overall I don't think they're taking the game in a better direction in the past few updates. It's a shame.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Aye, the food limit is high enough that it's a non-issue. Which raises the issue of "Why bother?" I don't know what problem it's supposed to be solving. If the game's supposed to be exploratory, learning how much food to take seems like a reasonable thing to ask people to learn - especially compared to things like "The Plague Doctor is almost mandatory for the Cove because you pretty much need Blight". But, yeah, I really only object on principle - in practice, it changes nothing.
I think the issue is people completing missions by throwing money at them.  Like, let's just bring 100 food and heal to full after every fight.  Its not like money is terribly limited in this game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still think it might have been better to try to adjust the balance by adjusting provision prices, rather than limiting mechanic. You are hardly pushed for resources once you reach a certain point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still think it might have been better to try to adjust the balance by adjusting provision prices, rather than limiting mechanic. You are hardly pushed for resources once you reach a certain point.

Like a reverse bulk cost? or rather the more you buy the more expensive it gets because this is a poor town deprived of food?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the issue is people completing missions by throwing money at them.  Like, let's just bring 100 food and heal to full after every fight.  Its not like money is terribly limited in this game.

You can't do that because your guys become "full" after eating 4 units of food.
Unless of course they suddenly get hungry again as they turn a corner.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

In the wise words of Penny Arcade:

"Darkest Dungeon is Lovecrafts Fantasy Football League"
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah something like the latter, so if your economy is well and there is a dungeon one really want to clear, you still have choice of doing it in relative safety for significant loss of financial buffer. Any other system that works would be fine, though, as long as it is not hard-coded wall.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

She doesn't dodge so much in that form as just fall over out of the way of attacks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

There's been an update. Changes include options for allowing corpses or death's gate debuffs continuing after being healed from death's gate. Basically the two biggest complaints of gameplay mechanics have been made optional.

The provision limits aren't really noticeable to me, but I'm not in the late game with tons of gold yet. The new debuffs enemies can inflict don't seem that noticeable outside of really early game. The new enemy debuffs in general seem prone to being resisted.

So I've been playing around with the abomination. Seems hellaciously good. They can dish out crazy damage when buffed due to their high base weapon damage, human form has great utilities such as blight which lowers blight resist or a good damaging single target stun, and beast mode is amazing. Having to balance stress seems a reasonable requirement to having an abomination beast on the team. A jester in the back works well for a party with an abomination if you expect to regularly transform. Jesters seem to be an abomination's best friend.

Just killed the Brigand 8-Pounder with a party of two abominations in front, a houndmaster behind them, and a jester in back.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stress wasn't much of an issue, despite two abominations in the party. The two abominations syngergized by reducing each other's stress by transforming back to human after each battle. They regularly got kills or crits and lowered stress as well. The jester was only there to buff and reduce stress, so if I had enough speed to outpace the monsters I was fighting I'd lower stress. Occasionally houndmaster pitched in with lowering stress, although less reliably than the jester.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Corpses have been optional for a while now IIRC, but I'm glad to hear that the death's door debuff's persistence can be turned off. That thing was pretty nasty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101