Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219318 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. The Cove!
« Reply #705 on: November 27, 2015, 02:17:54 pm »

Thinking of doing a Darkest Dungeon let's play. There will be dorfings, and once dorfed you can provide input on how your character is geared, skilled, treated, and what missions you want to go on.

Anyone interested? Setting up the op and first update now. Will link in my sig.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 27, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »

Sure. Might not be able to do anything today but I can sign up for a character later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 27, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »

Thinking of doing a Darkest Dungeon let's play. There will be dorfings, and once dorfed you can provide input on how your character is geared, skilled, treated, and what missions you want to go on.

Anyone interested? Setting up the op and first update now. Will link in my sig.
I vote the estate be named the "Ebony Raven Way" estate :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 30, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

So... thoughts on the latest patch & latest class?

To me the abomination seems a bit on the overpowered side.. what with it fulfilling the functions of several classes in one neat package.
I guess it's a balancing point that it doesn't seem to fulfill those functions very well... still...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »

Good lord. Debuffs upon debuffs upon debuffs.

As for the Abomination, it's too early to tell. But using him implies excluding some go-to classes. (Crusader, Vestal.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:25:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 30, 2015, 08:55:55 pm »

So... thoughts on the latest patch & latest class?

To me the abomination seems a bit on the overpowered side.. what with it fulfilling the functions of several classes in one neat package.
I guess it's a balancing point that it doesn't seem to fulfill those functions very well... still...
As for the Abomination, it's too early to tell. But using him implies excluding some go-to classes. (Crusader, Vestal.)

Plus he seems to be a constant source of stress for your other party members. At first glance all his combat skills require him to be in beast form, transforming to beast form causes +8 stress to your other party members, costs a turn of a battle, and turning back only relieves 3 stress. I don't know if he can remain in beast form between battles, haven't tried him yet. Honestly it seems risky to take him along for long missions, due to the stress he'd cause.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:15 pm »

Spoiler: Hag (click to show/hide)

I've had good luck with teams that could deal spread damage on the middle ranks...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Am I going to have to start a new file in order to see the new stuff? I'm not all that far in, but my current run isn't going horribly yet and I'd rather not abandon it unless I have to.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Am I going to have to start a new file in order to see the new stuff? I'm not all that far in, but my current run isn't going horribly yet and I'd rather not abandon it unless I have to.
Nah. I got an abomination recruited from the cart in the run I've been playing prior to this update.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So apparently skeleton keys no longer disable traps or open secret compartments on chests. I've tried twice now, each time was told that the key had no effect (lost the key, of course), and then triggered a trap when I opened the chest.

Also there are debuffs that last until camp.

So that's fun.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Holy shit, either I got fucked over hard or one of the new monsters is absurd.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was gonna spend the night enjoying this game, but I'm now too pissed off for that to happen. I know the game's supposed to be challenging and about taking risks, but this was neither. This was a nightmarish confluence of Challenge Is Big Numbers and the mother of all RNG shits.

EDIT: I like the Abomination. Manacles is way too good for my preferred playstyle - I don't even transform the guy unless he gets shuffled into the front rank and I can't give up momentum. Might actually be a little overpowered, but the party restriction stings (and I hate it in principle; I'd rather a severe penalty that can prove a challenge to work around, instead of a "No, just no." response from the game).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:09:20 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I was gonna spend the night enjoying this game, but I'm now too pissed off for that to happen.

Been there.

"Tonight's a night for Darkest Dungeon, it's your turn on the gaming roulette wheel of "EA games i've bought and not yet finished"!"

20 minutes later.

"You know what? Fuck this shit. I have too much other stuff I could get into that doesn't make me this angry."

Maybe I'm just getting a little too old for "hardcore" games without being a big fat cheater. Something a friend said to me a while ago that's sorta stuck with me, when I tried to hype him on a game. "You know I would love to be 16 again and stay up to 4am mastering every facet of a game until I'm King of Shit Mountain. I just don't have the time anymore." DD makes me relate to that. I only have so much time to spend on gaming during the week, I shouldn't spend it getting frustrated the way DD frustrates. It's like a casual mobile game in its slickness and low attention commitment, but kicks like a 1981 RPG. You get lulled in by its ease and accessibility and charm and then, for the sensitive types, punches you in the dick and runs off laughing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

That's kind of the case, yeah, but even that doesn't quite express what gets me about it. I get that some games are all about mastering deep gameplay and you should expect to lose in the process (I often have while playing this game), but I got fucked by taking a gamble I didn't know I was taking (because the monster just got added yesterday*), facing a numerically superior enemy, because despite the effectiveness of my tactics, the RNG just said "Fuck you". It'd be skill if I could work around a bad RNG. It'd be a gamble if there were a winning outcome. Neither was apparently present here, and that isn't fun. It's not even !!FUN!!, which has the virtue of being hilarious situational comedy and the opportunity to learn a lesson. You said it - sometimes the game just kicks you in the dick and runs off laughing.

The only lesson I learned here was, "I don't like DD as much as I thought I did."

*I know that's kind of a thing with Early Access, and DD is amazingly well-polished for being in that category, but it still contributed
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good lord. Debuffs upon debuffs upon debuffs.
This bears repeating, I think. Did Rend For The Old Gods really need to add a stress-increasing debuff on top of its bleed effect, when you consider how often Cultist Brawlers are found in combination with enemies that already induce massive amounts of stress? Or did Blanket Fire, already an annoying party-wide damage dealer, need to become even more annoying with party-wide debuffs as well? A character can potentially be knocked into Death's Door from a single critical attack, does it really need to punish the player further with debuffs that persist until you return to the Hamlet?

I'm definitely getting that dick-kicking feeling right now, is what I'm saying. Just lost a promising party (thankfully none of my main heroes) to some of these new mechanics.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:57:12 pm by Sirus »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

I'm really liking this patch.  The Abomination is a great addition (I'm running man at arms, abomination and two occultists, with a bounty hunter filling in for missing members on this or the default team as needed).  His human abilities make him a great supporting character and the beast abilities provide a nice bit of damage oomph for the bosses and any particularly tough encounters.  The stress from transforming isn't too large IMO and the disparity decreases as you level the skill.  I just can't wait to team him up with a Jester and transform every battle.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 101