Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118070 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders
« Reply #1275 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:35 pm »

I still don't like diamond armour being limited to the military. Coloured hats vs. diamond helms would be much better; a visual display of caste is not worth such a major sacrifice in armour points.

The council system seems okay, but I'm not sure that we have enough people to make it worthwhile.

It's only limited to military when things are peaceful.  When there's a raid or battle, all restrictions are removed.

Edited Council to have it be variable in member strength.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 16, 2014, 11:42:18 pm »

I still don't like diamond armour being limited to the military. Coloured hats vs. diamond helms would be much better; a visual display of caste is not worth such a major sacrifice in armour points.

The council system seems okay, but I'm not sure that we have enough people to make it worthwhile.

It's only limited to military when things are peaceful.  When there's a raid or battle, all restrictions are removed.

Edited Council to have it be variable in member strength.
Yes, but surprise attacks by raiders will be ridiculously lethal. Also, people like their diamond gear; if we do this, we can say goodbye to ever getting civilians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1277 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »

Coloured hat castes are a cool idea, but not practical.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:59 pm »

Coloured hat castes are a cool idea, but not practical.
Why not? Are dyes difficult to obtain? We should be able to get white dye, black dye, green dye, red dye, yellow dye, and orange dye with no difficulty; I don't know about the others, but they shouldn't be too much of a challenge to obtain.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 16, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »

Why not? Are dyes difficult to obtain? We should be able to get white dye, black dye, green dye, red dye, yellow dye, and orange dye with no difficulty; I don't know about the others, but they shouldn't be too much of a challenge to obtain.

I think it is the leather that is difficult to obtain.  In the new section "Identification", I stated that dyed leather helms are the highest to be worn by civilians, but are not required.  Priests wearing chain helms, infantry wearing iron helms, officers wearing diamond helms, and Council members and the King wearing gold helms are required, however.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 17, 2014, 12:13:22 am »

An easier way would be for people to carry some useless item named on an anvil, with their name and station on it. Paper, perhaps. It's something easy to check, doesn't restrict what people can wear, and is more expensive to counterfeit. All it would need is their name and station.

Plus I will be able to say "Papers, please" in an official capacity.

Also on the Constitution, it's a nice idea in most places, but we can't afford not to negotiate with Goldminer, and the system as proposed makes him basically a figurehead. Something he neither deserves nor is likely to accept. I would suggest giving him veto power over Council decisions, with the ability to overturn the veto with a 2/3 majority of the council. That way he has a definite say in what's going on, but still can't act unilaterally.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:22:56 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 17, 2014, 12:21:42 am »

At the moment, I'm mainly waiting on tahujared and Goldminer to explain what they want with Dumathoin, so that discussion can start in earnest.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 17, 2014, 12:31:38 am »

An easier way would be for people to carry some useless item named on an anvil, with their name and station on it. Paper, perhaps. It's something easy to check, doesn't restrict what people can wear, and is more expensive to counterfeit. All it would need is their name and station.

Plus I will be able to say "Papers, please" in an official capacity.

I was trying to do something like this early on, but the lack of being able to produce enough ink made giving everyone identification books die off.

With your idea, it could be having a sword in the first slot (people defaulting to that when not doing anything or just traveling) for at a glance caste viewing, naming being for specificity.  Civilians could have wooden swords, basic infantry and priests could have cobble, Guard Captains would have iron, Generals would have diamond, and the King, Council Members, and High Priest could have golden.

Also on the Constitution, it's a nice idea in most places, but we can't afford not to negotiate with Goldminer, and the system as proposed makes him basically a figurehead. Something he neither deserves nor is likely to accept. I would suggest giving him veto power over Council decisions, with the ability to overturn the veto with a 2/3 majority of the council. That way he has a definite say in what's going on, but still can't act unilaterally.

If this is the case, I'm going to change the council to an odd numbered amount of people and remove the tie breaker vote option, since leaving in the tie breaker would be a little too much power combined with being able to veto.  Also, I believe the veto should only apply to laws, not the settling of disputes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1283 on: August 17, 2014, 12:34:35 am »

At the moment, I'm mainly waiting on tahujared and Goldminer to explain what they want with Dumathoin, so that discussion can start in earnest.
This. It's hard to agree on terms when we don't know what people want.

I like the idea of a named item to distinguish station. Axes would be pretty cool.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:52 am »

If we can find the leather, books would be good. They have the extra security of being signed by a Dumathion official, and can be given a "royal seal" on the front page too. Failing that, a named item would be cool.

I'd be happy to volunteer to wrangle the resources needed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:39:51 am by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 17, 2014, 12:47:10 am »

This. It's hard to agree on terms when we don't know what people want.

As of now, it's more getting something to work off of prepared.

I like the idea of a named item to distinguish station. Axes would be pretty cool.

I listed swords in the post above yours, because of the nobility inherit in "May I see your sword?".  Though I must admit, "Will you lend me your axe?" does give a more epic air.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 17, 2014, 12:51:25 am »

Forget what I said, a ceremonial weapon is much better than a scrap of paper. So long as it isn't used, or at least not used so much that it breaks, we should be fine.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 17, 2014, 12:55:59 am »

Forget what I said, a ceremonial weapon is much better than a scrap of paper. So long as it isn't used, or at least not used so much that it breaks, we should be fine.

As diamonds are pretty much the only sword type people really use, if we go with swords, the only person we would have to worry about is the generals, but since Diamonds have so high of a durability, we don't really have to worry about it too much, especially since they would want to be using an enchanted diamond, which we wouldn't allow the ID sword to be enchanted (except for the priests, though, in order to differentiate between them and those they share a level with.

As axes are far more frequently used, this does become a greater concern, leading me to lean more towards using swords instead.

Edit: Changed identification to the first slot item, though kept it ambiguous of whether to be swords or axes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:03:01 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 17, 2014, 01:05:05 am »

True enough. The ID sword will be named, but anyone can name their sword [GRIEFER]:[GUARD]. While it is more difficult to sign a book as someone else, in that it is impossible. They've both got their advantages, but I don't think I want to make the final decision in either case.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1289 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:22 am »

Ceremonial axes are better than swords from an RP perspective. We're dwarves, so let's use dwarfy weapons.
And I can't see any reason why we can't have both ceremonial axes and signed books.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97