Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98668 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:18 am »

I could see Einherjar giant killers being fun to throw against Jotun.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:48 am »

They need shields to not get incinerated on the spot though in DF.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:55 am »

Or they could just be fireproof. They were supposed to fight the Muspilli, the Jotun, the Thurse and the undead army of Loki at Ragnarok after all. Killing the fire giants of Muspelheim would be tricky if burning was easy for them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:34 am »

Frej was the fertility god I thought? And Tyr was single combat and Odin is god of war?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2013, 09:59:33 am »

Frej was the god of war, his sister Freja was the goddess of fertility/love. Odin was god of wisdom as I recall. Although most of the gods were warriors and fought in the war between the Vanir and Aesir prior to the unification of both godly clans.

EDIT: Hmm, I looked it up to doublecheck and Frej was associated with fertility. Odd.
EDIT2: Seems both of the siblings were associated with fertility. I could have sworn Frej was a war god.
EDIT3: Best quote to sum up the gods of the Norse I think. From Odins wikipedia page:

'His role, like that of many of the Norse gods, is complex.'

Considering people can't even agree on an interpretation of what the animal they ate in Asgard was I'm not surprised. Although I think the usual assumption is that it was a pig.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:05:09 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2013, 10:10:27 am »

Pig/boar or goat.

It seems like the jotun in Fort Defense aren't an accurate representation (not that they are in general right? :P.) Seems like they'd need a bit of caste work to be good'n'proper....

Damn it quite inspiring more interest in this crap than I already had!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:50 am »

I wonder how hard it would be to mod the Norse in. Mod out plate armour types for humans, mod in chainmail versions, exclude boots. Add in handaxes and a few other weapons. Give humans the ability to rage to represent the berserker rage. Find a way to make them engrave images of their gods. Mod up the surface plants to be more appropriate. It could be done. Wouldn't even take more than a day or two of typing.

EDIT: Oh damn, just realised that giving them their own language would take an age.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:18:42 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2013, 10:18:16 am »

A berserker caste would probably be more appropriate. Hatchets/axes in general (wood cutting axes work just as well on man and beast after all!) and spears were the main weapon of the common norseman while swords made from high quality steel we for the more experienced/wealthier ones.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:33 am »

I remember reading that to become a Huskarl you needed to own your own sword and chainmail.

EDIT: A berserker caste with innate skills at biting might be fun :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:22:03 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2013, 10:22:25 am »

I wonder how hard it would be to mod the Norse in. Mod out plate armour types for humans, mod in chainmail versions, exclude boots. Add in handaxes and a few other weapons. Give humans the ability to rage to represent the berserker rage. Find a way to make them engrave images of their gods. Mod up the surface plants to be more appropriate. It could be done. Wouldn't even take more than a day or two of typing.
I would pay good money to see that...

And Odin is the wisest of all gods, Thor is the strongest. And they need to add mega beasts for that for Jormangundr, and Fenrir and MAYBE garmr. And the Jotun are pretty well done since Jotunn can have multiple heads, horns, and there are fire Jotun (sons of muspell) and frost Jotun (Nifel Jotun) and "normal" Jotun

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2013, 10:25:48 am »

I think i'll go make a thread for this idea over in modding.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the frost giants were the Thurse of Nifelheim. Technically unrelated to the Jotun and Fire Jotun as they originated from the dawn of time when the first frost giant (I cannot recall his name) was killed and his remains used to fashion the world.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:06 am »

If you have the stuff to pay for a good sword and set of mail you probably had the skill to back it up. I watched a documentary about viking age swords produced in Scandinavia; the damned things took days to make and were expensive but you got a sword made from far superior materials from what a good chunk of the rest of Europe had. Ulfberht if I remember properly the name of those kinds of swords.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2013, 10:32:56 am »

If you have the stuff to pay for a good sword and set of mail you probably had the skill to back it up. I watched a documentary about viking age swords produced in Scandinavia; the damned things took days to make and were expensive but you got a sword made from far superior materials from what a good chunk of the rest of Europe had. Ulfberht if I remember properly the name of those kinds of swords.

Probably better quality made too, not just the metals

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2013, 10:34:02 am »

Probably better quality made too, not just the metals

Indeed. SOmeone even tried to copy them unsuccessfully. Must've been damned fine blades to garner that sort of attention.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 21, 2013, 11:01:43 am »

They were also REALLY tall and really well built, so they're like the Spartans of Northern Europe

EDIT:
Also, if we did a Norse mod, it should be called (thank you Karkov?/Sarrak? for this in Bloody Age) Norse Fortress
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:09:03 am by highmax28 »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53