Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Pigeons & Prejudice: Definitely deceased.  (Read 22919 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Pigeons and Prejudice: Chapter 3.2
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »

Chapter Three – The Second Ball.

”Oh, I say, am I a little early?”

The words clattered like lead bricks thudding on the dried mud of misery, apprehension wafting silently across the waiting ladies and ladypigeons in a pestilential wind of rotten despair. It might be minutes before another gentleman arrived at the ball; some of the ladypigeons had witnessed the effects of concentrated Reverend Halfton at close hand: Lady Katherine, in particular, had only been able to cease the continuous application of peasant-borne smelling salts that very morning.

Some of them, however, had not.

greet the Reverend.

"Oh! Reverend! You are here! Do you like my bonnet? Mother bought it for me and I think it looks splendid and there was another one, it was purple velvet with lace trimmings that I almost got instead but then that wouldn't have matched quite so well with my plumage and so it had to be this one and oh!— what a wonderful house Crikington is! And isn't Lady Roseanne wearing such a lovely gown and doesn't everything look simply delightful..."

”I… the… indeed… Bonnets…”

Miss Charlotte was relentless in her blithering; and Reverend Halfton unwavering in his devotion to politeness. He listened on, and ventured forth into the dark heart of witless wittering.

"I do particularly like the..."

”Yes, yes, fascinating…”

"Rather delightful gold detailing on these wonderful chair arms..."

”Magnificent, I say…”

"And of course, mother always says that one should be polite, yet suspicious..."

”Gosh, really…”

"So I beat him thoroughly and yet more thoroughly, for one does rather dislike a scoundrel..."

”Yes, I can imagine…”

"But luckily I managed to find the right shade of violet for the ribbon."

”Oh, my dear Miss Charlotte! I am terribly relieved to hear it! What a wonderful conversationalist you are. Do you also, by any chance, happen to be a wonderful theorist of accountancy or – better yet – an accomplished practiser of the wondrous art begotten to us by the Lord Himself?”

Reverend Halfton likes you slightly more!

Reverend Halfton likes pigeons slightly more!

greet and chat with Ms. Arcy given that there was no Ms. Arbury to be seen. Get to know why her somberness is as such.

"Good Evening Ma'am! I..can't help but notice if-"

Miss Thain wasn't quite sure how to put it. She was sure that there was some human convention of which she must have failed to entirely grasp the meaning.

"-that... that your attire is..."

Miss Arcy... Miss Arcy... What could have led her to dress almost entirely in black for what should be such a happy occasion?

"different from the rest. I don't want to dig deeper into this if its personal, but I can't stand unappeased curiosity."

She had a sudden blast of inspiration.

...”Oh, oh! Miss Thain! It is so wonderfully compassionate of you to ask! Oh, these other, human types, they are restrained by the bounds of common decency, which you pigeon types so often yet so innocently lack, that barely a soul has offered me any consolation beyond the admittedly generous twitch of a left eyebrow... Oh woe! I miss my brother terribly so, and he only had his horrid accident cleaning his duelling pistols this last week... He accidentally blew his head clean right off, you see, Miss Thain – oh, please let me call you Miss Charlotte, if I may be so presumptuous – he accidentally blew his head clean right off, although we haven't yet found his poor blood-soaked corpse to bury, oh...”

At this Miss Arcy covered her face in several fancy handkerchiefs, and sobbed profusely, and Miss Thain realised that her sudden blast of inspiration had been wrong, and the poor lady was not dressed in black so as to not overly dirty herself whilst chasing peasants down chimney stacks. She feared that she had been exceedingly close to an absolutely awful social faux pas, but for once her being a ladypigeon had played in her favour.

Miss Arcy likes you more!

Miss Arcy likes pigeons slightly less!

Lady Montagu makes conversation with Miss Villar, searching for common interests beyond peasant-brutalizing (as such a hobby is, of course, ubiquitous in high society, and thus shared by any and all potential mates in both the platonic and romantic senses.))

Was that apprehension Lady Katherine Montagu felt well up from deep within herself? Or, indeed, was Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton for some reason beyond logical explanation planning to serve cabbage-based canapés? There were no canapés in sight, so Lady Montagu concluded that, in fact, it was clearly the taste of apprehension, turgid apprehension, that she could feel slithering up the back of her throat.

She fled gracefully to Miss Villar, the enthusiastic peasant-beater – or rather, since of course all right-thinking members of the British, and especially English, aristocracy were either an enthusiastic peasant-beater or a cad, the generous peasant-beater – who she knew would offer such shining relief from the dark depths of Reverend Halfton's heinous soporificism that several minutes of conversation with her would probably leave the young ladypigeon blinded, in the conversational sense.

Lady Katherine thought this as she waddled delightfully over to Miss Villar, and wondered whether her thoughts were entirely... followable. She certainly seemed to lose herself in their meandering. She gathered her senses, and struck.

"What a pleasure to see you again!" she cooed happily.

”Oh, why, hello, Lady Katherine. 'Tis indeed delightful – perhaps we may share a canapé this evening, haha – of course, I mean share the act of beating a filthy peasant viciously about the head with one! Ha! Delightful! Yes.”

"I say, Miss Villar! You do so brighten a room, with your sparkling wit as much as with your beauteous lustre. This, however, is not perhaps quite so luxurious a room as your own," she said, sniffing dismissively at her surroundings and resisting the urge to loose a discrete dropping, "but even a den of mongrel dogs is ennobled when visited by a beautiful thoroughbred. Tell me, how do you feel about... swings?"

...”Swings, my dear? Why, swings are...  perfectly suited for the act of swinging, I suppose. No, sir, I am much keener on admiring male beauty in all its form – especially in its uniformed forms, or, indeed, its ununiformed forms, ahahah...”

Miss Villar likes you slightly more!

Double-triple-check the preparations. Do we have snacks? Are there drinks? Is the ballroom squeaky clean? Are the guests really coming? aaAAAAAaaaAAaa

Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton was careful. She was not a novice in the art of entertaining, or in the art of being in proximity to very very tedious Reverends. She performed the minimum act of politeness necessary, and riskable, and then stood before the frightful vicar, unable to move.

"Welcome to my humble abode! Make yourself at home, Reverend."

Minutes passed.

"Er."

More minutes passed, so awkwardly that Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton felt herself develop acute neck pain.

"The..."

Another second passed, and then a second, and then a third, and Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton felt words rise from her bosom, and work their way up to her mouth. They were about to escape, she was about to scream out at the Reverend, about to renounce her faith and admit, I am a heathen! I am an accursed heathen, and I don't even like tea!

She was so close to this outburst, and so close to eternal social ostracism, as to be able to pass through the eye of a needle, yet then there was salvation! Miss Catherine Fantail rushed in, like a tsunami of idiocy, and washed away the stain of Reverend Halfton's presence. Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton fainted with joy.

A few seconds, or even minutes, of joyous silence passed, and she got up, moderately embarrassed but secretly pleased with herself, as a fainting lady should be. She realised her duties and rushed to the scullery, there to check that she had in fact ordered a peasant to prepare a very great deal of snacks and drinks and the crowd-pleasing favourite, the sharpened salmon canapé.

There was a very great deal, and Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton started counting, partly to reassure herself, and partly to keep herself away from the duties of a good host, which is to say entertaining the Reverend.

"One glass of exceedingly expensive champagne... two glasses of exceedingly expensive champagne... three glasses of exceedingly expensive champagne... Oh blast. I do believe I was only meant to count full glasses, and I appear to have counted the empty ones. I say, weren't they full, not so very long ago? Oh, is that the front gate? Good lord, what a relief...”

...Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton is exceedingly slightly inebriated! -1 to Sense rolls for one turn!

Away from the scullery, where the remaining ladypigeons did their best to keep Miss Villar and Miss Arcy both entertained and comforted, as well as Reverend Halfton either delighted or at arm's length, there was at last a return to the tremendous excitement that had preceded his unexpected entry.

The other guests had arrived!

Mr Garret Pinkerton-Smyth was there, daydreaming rather obviously about flutes; Mr Arthur Arbury strode purposefully up Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton's long and luxurious driveway. And, as their lovely and dainty host rushed in from counting the drinks, she beheld him – he was so more than averagely handsome! He was rumoured to be so ridiculously rich! His pot-bellied build and long face were so typically English, rugged, smouldering: and good Lord! He was attending the ball in his uniform.

Side by side with Mr Arthur Arbury strode his elder brother, Captain Richard Arbury.

Captain. The first and third most romantic of all military ranks.

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: Chapter 3 - an actual update!
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2013, 09:40:07 pm »

((CAPTAIN Arbury, you say?))

Lady Katherine Montagu laughs along with Miss Villar, for while her jest may push, nay, may caress the boundary between the proper and the improper, it certainly speaks to an innate Truth, one for which Lady Montagu is herself searching.

The Truth chose that moment to walk up the driveway.

Mr. Arbury had always struck Lady Montagu as something of a dandy, a man worthy of idle amusement, perhaps, but certainly not worth the effort of a lifelong commitment. His brother, however, was another story entirely, and surely seemed to fulfill the resting place which rumor and idle gossip had hollowed out in Lady Montagu's ladypigeon breast.

"My dear Miss Villar, I'm afraid you must excuse me, for I have been quite derelict in greeting the guests, and now seems an excellent time to start."

So taking her leave, Lady Montagu elegantly strides forward to greet Captain Arbury, flashing just a hint, or rather, perhaps a full clue of her beautiful plumage to pique his interest.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: Chapter 3 - update 17th Dec
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2013, 02:43:10 am »

((Miss Arcy likes me more..but pigeons less. WHile I do understand what she's going through (and the response), this is amusing. :P))

...Perhaps we aren't so different, you and I. I had thought you like the rest-unwilling; apathetic.

..I do so love reading that book!

Ms. Thain could do the only thing she knew-not what books and literature told her, but what she knew ever since she hatched in the roost. She offered her wing and patted the mourning lady, subtly moving herself to cover her slightly from the masses.
"I take it-and excuse my words if I'm mistaken-that your brother is and has been missing for a time? May I also ask where sir Arcy is, at the moment?"

"Also, I've to ask, as that piques my curiosity. How did you know that your brother..did 'that', if you cannot find the body?"
Comfort! And Inquire!

Her...brother? Where is Mr. Arcy?

Oh, also inquire if Ms.Arcy would be ok to dance with me in simple lawastooshort'roll-verse.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:09:21 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2013, 04:40:21 am »

There's no rush! Although I'm very tempted to do some free RP between Lady Montagu and Captain Arbury while I'm waiting for both my sets of players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2013, 08:34:42 am »

"The wondrous arts?" says Charlotte, racking her little bird brain, "You mean bonnet making? Oh how I wish! Or do you mean playing the pianoforte? I most certainly can do that!"

As she speaks, Charlotte slowly shifts so that she might catch Mr Arbury's eye as he arrives.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2013, 04:20:49 pm »

Chapter Three – The Second Ball.

As she speaks, Charlotte slowly shifts so that she might catch Mr Arbury's eye as he arrives.

The Reverend Halfton's mind began to slip away, ready to daydream of accountancy – his one passion, other than following the word of God, of course – when suddenly the dainty little pigeon before him dammed his enchanted babbling stream of thought like a ravenous beaver gnawing away at a vast and ancient oak.

"You mean bonnet making? Oh how I wish! Or do you mean playing the pianoforte? I most certainly can do that!"

”Bonnet making?! I... er... harrumph. If you say so, my dear Miss Fantail. Most certainly.”

...Just then, however, Charlotte Fantail spied, from the corner of her pigeony little eye, the floppy haired Mr Arbury enter; she spied his intellectual forehead, his amazing bodily form: she inwardly gasped, and sighed, and shifted her weight ever so slightly to make sure she was thrust prominently into the vision of the small-mouthed beauty as he came into the room.

Alas, she adjusted her weight in such as a manner as to throw herself – although throw is rather a violent word for what in fact occurred – off balance, and she found herself having to lean very slightly forward, which brought her head very slightly nearer to Reverend Halfton than one might find thoroughly decent.

Charlotte blushed a little, and hoped the Reverend was still, although by the Lord knows what, too distracted to notice.

Just then she had a sudden strike of abnormal clarity: By God! she thought, the only thing to possibly find distracting in this moment, apart from the idea of bonnet making is... I say. Bonnet making. Rather.

Lady Katherine Montagu laughs along with Miss Villar, for while her jest may push, nay, may caress the boundary between the proper and the improper, it certainly speaks to an innate Truth, one for which Lady Montagu is herself searching.

The Truth chose that moment to walk up the driveway.

Mr. Arbury had always struck Lady Montagu as something of a dandy, a man worthy of idle amusement, perhaps, but certainly not worth the effort of a lifelong commitment. His brother, however, was another story entirely, and surely seemed to fulfill the resting place which rumor and idle gossip had hollowed out in Lady Montagu's ladypigeon breast.

"My dear Miss Villar, I'm afraid you must excuse me, for I have been quite derelict in greeting the guests, and now seems an excellent time to start."

So taking her leave, Lady Montagu elegantly strides forward to greet Captain Arbury, flashing just a hint, or rather, perhaps a full clue of her beautiful plumage to pique his interest.

Lady Katherine Montagu was rather an expert at flashing her beautiful plumage. She'd trained in flashing it since she was but a tiny girlypigeon; her parents had forced her to practice at dusk and dawn, and she had kept up the habit – one might even say the discipline – upon becoming an adult and, one could only really affirm with the darkest of ironies, possessor of her own free will. She flashed it in the morning, she flashed it in the evening. Oft-times she deigned even to flash it after lunch, in the privacy of her boudoir, whilst digesting, while the men were drinking brandy, or comparing cigars. And, of course, she brushed her beautiful plumage even more often than she flashed it. She loved to brush it, to a moderately sinful degree: it was, at times, such as obsession that she forgot her other duties, such as...

Lady Montagu almost forgot what she was about for the briefest of moments as she tried to recall exactly what duties in life she had – none, of course, or rather, none that did not pale into insignificance next to the duty of procreating her way into t-

She repulsed herself. Charming her way into the hauteurs of society, she of course meant to think. And if flashing would help her charming, why, she had not just the right, but the responsibility to practice her flashing and – and! – if, as any right-thinking pigeon would, or must, indeed, she believed that a pigeon was a good thing, and therefore that more pigeons were more good things, why, she owed it to King George, to Great Britain, to the génie of English...ness to raise the pigeon to its – their – rightful place in English society! English society would prosper only should Lady Katherine Montagu prosper! And if she should not, why: she foresaw riots; she foresaw war; she foresaw... good Lord. Grab she not a respectable groom, and Lady Katherine Montagu would be responsible for revolution.

Horror gripped her heart as she strode towards Captain Arbury. She greeted him with all the eloquence she could muster, which was a great deal, and strained her beautiful plumage towards him.

...It was an astonishing sight, which warmed the cockles and made one think of England, and of how glorious a country it is.

”I say...”, Captain Arbury said, ”How... wonderful. Splendid. Enchanted to meet you... Lady Montagu.”

Captain Arbury turned to his brother, beside him, and, unheard, asked a question.

”Lady, eh? Tremendous. Rather.”

Captain Arbury likes you more!

Around the two young ladypigeons, the ball whirred into motion. Miss Arcy wept at Miss Thain. Miss Villar strode purposefully after her friend Lady Katherine, only to be a little distracted, and turn to greet Mr Pinkerton-Smyth, blushing carefully.

Canapés began to circulate, and drinks too, and Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton was observed tottering silently about, on the verge of either brilliance or disaster, it was hard to tell. Then, finally, as the musicians took their place, and plinked their strings into tune, Captain Arbury pushed through the melee, like a valiant soldier fighting his way through a perfidious French column to claim the Emperor's eagle itself.

”I say, Lady Montagu. Would you do me the honour of dancing the first dance with me?”

Nearby, in a rather less glorious fashion, Reverend Halfton turned slightly, to face Miss Fantail.

”Miss Fantail. Take this not as a wanton and distasteful advance, but merely an appreciation of your towering beauty and lustrous intellect. Would you honour me with the first dance?”

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: Chapter 3 - update 28th Dec
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »

((I was editing the last one. Holidays got me. >_>
But sure!))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:30 pm »

(( Holidays got me. >_>))

((Yep me too. Elbow your way into a dance and everything will be fine. Or you could carry on being sobbed at, it's not for me to second guess your tactics.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »

(( Holidays got me. >_>))

((Yep me too. Elbow your way into a dance and everything will be fine. Or you could carry on being sobbed at, it's not for me to second guess your tactics.))
((Let me do both! :P
But I'm with comforting the dear lady at the moment, thanks.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2014, 08:51:11 am »

Charlotte demurely fans her wing, "Oh Reverend I would of course dance with you. I do so love to dance!"

She moves to dance with the Reverend, somewhat hoping that time would allow her a chance to step with several partners this ball.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2014, 09:31:36 pm »

Lady Katherine Montagu's heart fluttered in her white meat breast, for the Great Dancing Disaster of the last ball remained a fresh memory in her elegant little bird brain. She had practiced her gliding, and her sliding, and her stepping and turning and promenading and all skills applicable to dancing, but now the true test was upon her, for now she must strut her stuff on the biggest of stages with her arms around the biggest of prizes.

"Why, Captain Arbury..." Lady Montagu cooed in what she hoped was an enchanting manner, "I would be most pleased to dance with you." She mentally reviewed her steps as she stepped onto the dance floor.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2014, 04:34:32 am »

Hmm. What should I do? Lady Errol Meyerschmidt-Cripeton has had to drop out, if I understand correctly. Should I:

1 - continue with three ladypigeons;
2 - select a replacement ladypigeon and find some way to surmount the unfairness of having had an entire ball already to seduce the menfolk;
3 - not continue at all?

All responses will be considered.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2014, 06:11:29 am »

(I suggest 2, either allowing someone else to play as Lady Errol to cut down on continuity problems, or giving a new pigeon a one-off bonus on arrival for being new and interesting.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:48 am »

Issue some of that la-goodness and draw one other pigeon into the scene. I don't believe we're the only pigeonfolk here. :3

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:00 pm »

(I suggest 2, either allowing someone else to play as Lady Errol to cut down on continuity problems, or giving a new pigeon a one-off bonus on arrival for being new and interesting.)

Both of these are acceptable to me.

Also, have you properly submitted an action, Tiruin?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14