Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Pigeons & Prejudice: Definitely deceased.  (Read 22936 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: A Dating Sim RtD
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:40 pm »

Chapter One – The First of Many Balls.

It had been a splendid afternoon, filled with late-June sunshine and the excited hubble-bubble of preparations the length and breadth of southern Derbyshire as a new crowd – nay, a new flock! – of young ladypigeons prepared for their first ball of the summer season, a season in which many of them hoped to win themselves a fine young gentleman for a husband, and so secure their, they felt, rightful place in what was no longer entirely the society of humans.

Not one doubted for a second that there would be an equal buzz of activity and anticipation at Fethington House, the very agreeable summer abode of Miss Isabella Villar, the daughter of – it was rumoured – an exceedingly wealthy Spanish refugee from the terrible ruin of that once glorious country.

None of the young ladypigeons knew much about Miss Isabella, but her fiery red hair was legendary in the county, as was her seething irrational hatred of bonnets of all kinds.

It was rumoured that Miss Isabella had something of a weakness for men in the glorious scarlet of the defenders of the Empire – officers, in short – and Lady Katherine Montagu, who rather understood such a feeling, hoped that her host would not feel too disappointed at her failure to invite any this evening.

Looking around, Lady Katherine saw no beautiful officers – naval or otherwise.

Instead, she saw Mr Pinkerton-Smythe, a rather well-known gentleman of about 29, advance towards her, his greasy blonde hair gleaming delightfully in the beautiful chandelier light. He was accompanied by Miss Isabella, who introduced them both.

”Lady Montagu, would you do me the honour of the first dance?”

Nearby, another lady, Miss Elizabeth Feckerby, strode purposefully towards another eligible young man, her arm linked, somehow, in the wing of a delightfully handsome young ladypigeon, who was rather monopolising the admiring gazes of several young – and not-so-young – gentlemen in the room.

Miss Charlotte, said Miss Feckerby, ”May I present to you Reverend Halfton? He has a terrible dislike of playing cards, which I recall you mentioned to me earlier, and an equally burning desire to dance with you. But then,” added Miss Feckerby, in a whispered aside, ”I must admit that I rather think several of the more handsome men here do, too...”

”Miss Fantail,” said Reverend Halfton, his intense blue eyes deep and penetrating under his lovely brown hair, ”Would you do me the honour of the first dance?”

Daintily picking at a tray of canapés carried by a passing peasant, two rather handsome ladypigeons - Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton and her new acquaintance Miss Thain stood in the opposite corner of the ballroom, the one giggling a little nonsensically and the other fervently hoping that she might be able to escape the dreaded test of waltzing the first waltz under the scrutiny of the assembled gentry of southern Derbyshire.

It looked like escape would not be possible.

Two young gentlemen were approaching the pair of pigeons. One, the ladypigeons gossiped to each other, was Mr James Arcy – rumoured to be almost as ridiculously rich as he was stupendously handsome with his beautiful small mouth, and the red-haired Mr Arthur Arbury – a tremendous shot with an amazingly Grecian physique (not, of course, that either ladypigeon was vulgar enough to let this thought pass through their wistful minds) but neither, it had to be said, as rich or as handsome as his particular friend Mr Arcy.

Lady Meyerschmidt-Cripeton?” said one.

Miss Thain?” said the other. May we trouble you for the honour of the first dance?

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:28:14 pm by lawastooshort »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: Chapter One; The First of Many Balls
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:58 pm »

((I think I've been reading a tad bit much of Jane Austen when I completely mistook Mr Arcy for a certain Fitzwilliam...))

Alessa raised a wing at her companion as she tipped her on what she had just said a moment before. 'Putting those words to the test,' as she thought given the whole range of partial gossip she had been talking about.

In truth, her eyes were affected by her company's words. She looked at the man courteously asking her on the dance floor as if he was to be examined, like a tool or a desirable object rather than a person, but pushed the idea away as her eyes met his in the brief moments wherein people catch each other's gaze in reality--the subtle moments usually missed more than half of the time. This took her off in a whole new direction.

The young pigeon, with her mind ablaze on how or what her partner would expect, gave her best impression of approval. With little knowledge on how the dance was played, she gestured in response to his open hand.

Examine my partner-who is he, and preferably notice how his body language speaks.

Let the dance begin!

((Oh dear, Errol.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:18 am »

Examine my partner!

As Alessa moved in to dance with the floppy red haired Mr Arbury, she tried, as discreetly at possible at such a distance, to cast her inquisitive and – for she was, of course, a pigeon – beady eyes over the young gentleman. He looked to be in the full bloom of youth – his early twenties, she guessed – and his handsome and imposing intellectual forehead towered over his greeny-grey eyes like a magnificent Highland forest. He was quite tall, which was particularly remarkable to a young ladypigeon, being quite short, and Alessa couldn’t help but notice that he had a rather pleasingly masculine figure. She had, indeed, never danced with such a firm partner, and she felt a rush of warmth in her wingtips as she began to gaze somewhat admiringly at his lovely round face.

((actual actions that can go disastrously wrong, such as dancing or not dancing, will be handled in the main turn. You can RP your targets if you like though. Also Miss Thain has specified that her partner is the handsome(ish) Mr Arbury.))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:47 am »

"Oh! I have never danced with a Reverend before."

As her first time stepping out into polite society, Charlotte had yet to dance with anyone of any note, let alone a Reverend.  At Miss Feckerby's aside Charlotte takes in the room, seeing if there are any more handsome men waiting to step in.

After quickly surveying the scene she turns to Reverend Halfton, "My what a beautiful ball! Don't you think? And what wonderful gowns the ladyhumans are wearing! So you don't like cards either? Such a beastly game! My sisters Lily and Perdita are forever playing whist and it is most vexing! I should want to take a stroll around the garden or in to town to buy a bonnet or anything but whist; they're married now so I don't have to play so much except when they come to stay but they come to stay so very often!"

As her insensible prattle continues, Charlotte extends her exquisite fantail for all to admire.

Spoiler: Questions for Lawas (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:05 am »

Like Meryton, what's the local town called?
How did we arrive at the house today?

It's called, um, Feryton, and you would have arrived by carriage, accompanied by your parents or another relative.

Feel free to name your own estates and/or houses - there'll be balls there later.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:05 am »

Lady Rosanne was, ever so slightly, infatuated. Mr James Arcy? She had heard of him. And his money. Really, mostly the latter part stuck into her mind. But, at the same time... one could call her a distrustful hen, never quite without reservations, and always ready to pick up any faults, latch onto them and use them as gossip ammunition...

But still. Mr James Arcy. If only she weren't such a terrible dancer.

"Why, Mr. Arrcy, you are flatterring me. For such a genteel gentleman to pick me, of all these young things..." she cooed, eyes fluttering.

Engage in some noncommittal small-talk while discreetly examining Mr Arcy for any flaws.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 07:40:35 am »

discreetly examining Mr Arcy for any flaws.

Lady Rosanne engaged in polite conversation with the wonderful Mr Arcy prior to letting him lead her to the dance floor; she marvelled at his intense blue eyes, somehow so beautiful in the hideousness of his oddly handsome face. She couldn’t quite put a finger on it: his body was of a particularly feeble build; his face, as mentioned, was hideous with a horrendously prominent adam’s apple; yet underneath his greasy dark brown hair there shone such a beauty of mind and spirit, such a non-classical beauty, and such a glow of considerable wealth that she began to feel rather smitten. He was slim and short, with a small mouth: all features that she had always found deeply attractive.

If there was really a particular fault, she mused, she would be pushed to name it – although his distinct lack of any noticeable muscles would probably be what would eventually come to mind. Still, he was a rich man, not a soldier, so what did it matter?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:08 pm »

Lady Katherine Montagu bowed her head graciously as her hostess approached.

"I simply must thank you for the invitation, Miss Isabella. Your home is simply marvelous, and the guests are quite prestigious. Why, it is all quite so fine it makes the company of Miss Charlotte Fantail very nearly bearable." She pauses a moment to watch the aforementioned ladybird glide toward Reverend Halfton, drawing the gaze of every male in the vicinity. "Her bonnet is quite garish, do you not agree?"

Katherine preens coyly under the attentions of Mr. Pinkerton-Smythe, smoothing her feathers gracefully as they are introduced. "Why, it would be my pleasure to accompany you to the dancefloor."

Lady Montagu joins Mr. Pinkerton-Smythe on the ballroom floor, mentally reviewing everything she knows about this potential suitor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

Reminding me of that deserves a bonus point, but there are no bonus points in this game.

Although I have come up with a possible innovation - if a player rolls a disastrous 1 or 6 (unlikely, given the 2d6 system), I might - without revealing which player it is - open the effects of this roll to a vote. Something along the lines of nudity, arson, vomiting, or mild scandal with a hint of malicious gossip. I only mention this as I am trying very hard to restrain myself and thereby keep the respectable tone of the game thus far.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »

Why would you put any of those things in one of your games, La?  It's not like such a thing has happened before.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2013, 08:32:35 pm »

In advance, I vote for vomiting. Every time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Pigeons and Prejudice: A Dating Sim RtD
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »

None of the young ladypigeons knew much about Miss Isabella, but her fiery red hair was legendary in the county...
((As she is a pigeon, I'd imagine it would be.))

Although I have come up with a possible innovation - if a player rolls a disastrous 1 or 6 (unlikely, given the 2d6 system), I might - without revealing which player it is - open the effects of this roll to a vote. Something along the lines of nudity, arson, vomiting, or mild scandal with a hint of malicious gossip. I only mention this as I am trying very hard to restrain myself and thereby keep the respectable tone of the game thus far.
((I approve. Will non-players be allowed to vote?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2013, 12:01:29 am »

Oh yes, anyone can vote. And Miss Isabella, although potentially a rival to our ladypigeons, is a ladyhuman.

Incidentally, the next turn requires (drum roll) two votes! Hohoho!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:47 am »

...((This was exactly what I was thinking XD As well as the movie and the book...))

Oh yes, anyone can vote. And Miss Isabella, although potentially a rival to our ladypigeons, is a ladyhuman.

Incidentally, the next turn requires (drum roll) two votes! Hohoho!
> Voting along the lines of vomiting given all the evils listed. Err, tummyache. Yeah.

But then we're pigeons. >_>

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 12:22:26 am »

Pigeons can vomit.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14