Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky  (Read 18424 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:47 pm »

Sofia considers. "I believe I'll wait until we're both on patrol; you seem like you're knowledgeable about the area."
Wait with Turchin for rations and patrol, then patrol with him.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

"Well I don't so I guess I'll just have to help you out for a bit at first, it will help me get the lay of the land anyway"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »

"Well I don't so I guess I'll just have to help you out for a bit at first, it will help me get the lay of the land anyway"
"Sounds good to me. You look like you can stay quite, so I could use your help. Besides, I don't want it said that I sent a helpless person into the wilderness unprepared."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 12:41:23 am »

35 coins. That's about a third of what meagre wealth Kassen had. He wasn't used to trading in currency as strange as metal coins, but he was told by that friendly farmer that took him in that 100 orange coins was 'enough to get by'. That didn't sound like much. In his mind, Kassen equated one orange metal coin to a sip of water or a sharp tooth from a desert crawler. It may have been an overestimate, but Kassen wasn't one to be cheated by loud merchants.

"This for 20 coins," Kassen said as directly as possible. He knew he shouldn't let on his ineptitude with the common tongue, nor his lack of knowledge regarding the value of copper. In the desert, only the clans on the best of terms would trade with each other, and even then the traders would barter for hours, insulting each other and arguing over the value of the most basic of items. It was more a contest of wills than a comparison of goods. But these frail men... would they not be different? Kassen suddenly regretted approaching the trader so quickly. Instead, he should have observed a couple dealings beforehand. It was too late for that now, though. He would have to try his best.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:59 am »

35 coins. That's about a third of what meagre wealth Kassen had. He wasn't used to trading in currency as strange as metal coins, but he was told by that friendly farmer that took him in that 100 orange coins was 'enough to get by'. That didn't sound like much. In his mind, Kassen equated one orange metal coin to a sip of water or a sharp tooth from a desert crawler. It may have been an overestimate, but Kassen wasn't one to be cheated by loud merchants.

"This for 20 coins," Kassen said as directly as possible. He knew he shouldn't let on his ineptitude with the common tongue, nor his lack of knowledge regarding the value of copper. In the desert, only the clans on the best of terms would trade with each other, and even then the traders would barter for hours, insulting each other and arguing over the value of the most basic of items. It was more a contest of wills than a comparison of goods. But these frail men... would they not be different? Kassen suddenly regretted approaching the trader so quickly. Instead, he should have observed a couple dealings beforehand. It was too late for that now, though. He would have to try his best.
(4) The merchant looked at the Serpen standing front of his stall briefly, contemplating how to deal with his request for a better deal. Looking down at the dagger, the merchant said, "That may not be the best dagger you'll ever hold, but the craftsmanship and the metal are there. But you look down on your luck, friend, so I'll meet you in the middle, lets say 28."
My Area

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2013, 01:49:42 am »

7 coins. A few gulps of water. A rat's hide. A spear's tip. Kassen withholds a smile. These frail men are more soft in the ways of trade than he anticipated. Between two desert serpens, neither side relents until one completely submits to the other. He was tempted to try his luck, and push this merchant until he could get what he wanted. But the more rational side of him recognized his weakness in trade and dialect.

"Yes, this is well. Have my coins." He carefully counted out the 28 coins and hands them over, thanking the man.

Next, Kassen exits the city and heads westward, to Vourun.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2013, 03:22:56 am »

"Thank you, when do we start"

Become apprentice/aid to the hunter
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

Day 2 - Afternoon

Seawall

Meyath approached the man cleaning the bird and said, "Hello, are you the hunter?", hoping she could find a place to be of use here.

The stranger turned around saying, "I'm the closest thing you'll get here in Seawall. What would you like from me?"

By way of explaining herself, Meyath offered, "I'm looking for some way to help out around here, and I used to hunt back home"

At this the man’s face seemed to brighten a little, he seemed hopeful his work could be made lighter by an extra pair of hands. "I could always use help. Game is scarce on this island, but our soldiers need meat."

Hearing about the town’s need for another hunter made Meyath confident that she could make a difference working with the man standing in front of her. "Sounds like a worthy use of time then I'm in. I am most used to hunting in Wetlands, are there any of those here? otherwise I'll just do my best to help you out."

The hunter paused a moment to think before answering, "Towards the center of this island there is a marshy area that I think you'd be familiar enough with. It can be a dangerous trip there and back though."

The word danger seemed alarming to Meyath. "What sort of hazards should I be on the lookout for?"

The hunter went on to describe, "There are wild dogs in this forest unlike anything you've ever seen. People think they were once kept as war dogs, which were let loose on pirates whenever they set foot on land. Now though, they wander the forest in packs looking for meat. Which includes us. Other than that, there are mantrap plants. If you're near the main plants you'll see large bulbs, usually a very bright color, which have acid in them. Don't go near them. Some of them have vines they lay along the forest floor. Those are more dangerous, since you can't always see the colored bulbs nearby, but if you have a dagger or anything sharp on you it's no problem to cut them off before they get you anywhere near the bulb."

The prospect of a dangerous trip on an unknown island didn’t sound appealing to Meyath, so she quickly responded, "Well I don't so I guess I'll just have to help you out for a bit at first, it will help me get the lay of the land anyway"

Looking a little relieved, the man replied, "Sounds good to me. You look like you can stay quite, so I could use your help. Besides, I don't want it said that I sent a helpless person into the wilderness unprepared."

Meyath’s final question of "Thank you, when do we start?" was greeted with a large bird being thrown her way while the hunter said, “We start by cleaning this bird, so I can hang it out here till someone from town comes to get it. While you do that, I’ll prepare equipment for the trip. It won’t be a short one.”

With this, Meyath began pulling feathers out of the bird, after a half an hour of painstaking work, she took the knife off of the table and began to gut the bird. When she had a bird clean enough to be cooked at the barracks without too much effort, she hung it up next to two others outside of his hut. Just as she was doing this, the hunter came out of his hut carrying two large backpacks. He gave one to Meyath, which she slipped on, the weight pushing heavily on her light form. Watching her shoulder the pack, the hunter said, “One last detail to take care of before we set off, you need a weapon. Just grab a spear or bow off of that rack over there.”

With that he set off towards the forest’s edge, and into a small trail. For the first time, Meyath realized just how dense the forest was, even on a trail he was essentially out of sight in only a matter of seconds.

Aetharbor

Looking down at his coin purse briefly, Kassen felt certain that spending that much of his meagre budget on a simple dagger would have been a poor choice. Unsure of the local bargaining custom, or even the worth of one of the strange coins here, he was still certain he would have to find a way to pay less. He decided that a bold approach would best hide any of his ignorance about local customs, and so he said in as clear a voice as he could manage, "This for 20 coins,"

The merchant looked at the Serpen standing front of his stall briefly, contemplating how to deal with his request for a better deal. Looking down at the dagger, the merchant decided that a quick sale would be worth a small loss in profit, and said loudly, as though he wanted nearby potential customers to think him charitable, "That may not be the best dagger you'll ever hold, but the craftsmanship and the metal are there. But you look down on your luck, friend, so I'll meet you in the middle, lets say 28."

Barely containing a smile of pride at his successful bartering despite the strangeness of the land, Kassen said, "Yes, this is well. Have my coins." as he handed the coins over and slipped the dagger into his belt.

Following the priests words, Kassen set off on the road leading westward out of town. He was walking along this road for quite a while, uneventfully, when he suddenly heard screams for help. Running around a small bend, he saw two men roughly handling a very short and lithe woman who appeared to have wings, who had been the source of the screams.

Near Vourun

Suddenly TsuJochi realized he knew the direction of his clan. He had been going the right direction, but taken a slightly wrong path, which met a dead end. In his excitement, he began rushing through the thick brush. In his rush, however, he failed to notice small shapes darting in the forest near him. Suddenly the way in front of him was consumed by a large briar patch. Four small shapes materialized around him and his companion into briar brownies, laughing as they gathered up long sections of the spiny plants for which they were named, and began whipping around the companions. The briar brownies looked and moved like small children. Their skin seemed bark-like and they were covered in twisted sprigs of briars, giving them a degree of protection. Their mystical connection to the forest allowed them to slip into one tree or briar patch and out of another, as well as seemingly being able to walk straight up tree trunks.

Iseaya

Sofia smiled, looking at the rose-gold sky, knowing that today would be a good day for her
"Nice to meet you, Turchin. I'm Sofia Sala. I've got a question though-- where'll we be patrolling?"

Giving an odd glance at her upward smile, but thinking nothing of it, Turchin replied, "Today I've got the route that runs along the southwest portion of town. It's closest to one of the largest groups of ruins, and it's usually quite because forest edge is held back by the ruins, and not many animals travel through them."

Sofia nodded. "Good to know. I'm ready to go when you are... when is this patrol, anyway?"

Turchin said, "As soon as we pick up our rations we will head out to that edge of town, and we will walk that edge most of the day. Night shift will relieve us at some point. If you'd like, you can head over there and get a sense of the area and I'll catch up to you with our rations for the day as soon as I can."

Sofia considered briefly before replying, "I believe I'll wait until we're both on patrol; you seem like you're knowledgeable about the area."

Turchin quickly left and returned with a single backpack of rations, which he tossed over his shoulder. Setting off towards the southwest, the quickly found the edge of the buildings, adjacent to ruins that stretched several yards in each directions. The once smooth stone was grown over with vines and moss, pillars that once must have stood proud over most men now barely had the audacity to stand at Sofia’s height. The ground looked to have been once paved, and despite the cracking of this pavement, most all flora had been kept back except of creeping vines and moss.

Expecting this grand sight to be accompanied with danger, daring, and glory, Sofia was sadly disappointed when their afternoon began by walking up to a small platform that gave them sight over the area and sitting on stools to watch. Every so often a bird would land in the ruins, or a squirrel would dash amongst them. At one point a hawk caught sight of a mouse amongst the crumbling stone, and swooped down to claim the reward for it’s diligent watch. But Sofia had trouble seeing some such award for her own vigilance, she gradually began to think that the watch was no path to glory, only to a sore buttocks. Her mind wandered to the exhilaration the hawk must have felt. She wished her day could be filled with proudly soaring over a forest, elegantly diving down on her prey, instead of sitting a wooden platform watching a silent relic of a civilization long past.

Suddenly Sofia sat up, alert. The rune was silent. No birds flitting around, or squirrels dashing around in the hopes of stray nuts. No bird of prey patrolling, and not even any tiny mice to serve as elusive treats to those great majestic hunters. This realization was followed by the observation that an unnatural fog was extending tendrils from the forest’s edge into the desolate pile of stones.

Spirarbor

Letting his new book lie closed for the rest of the day, Nico decided to practice chanting. Despite his recent reading, or rather because of the excitement it caused in him, he couldn’t seem to concentrate. Deciding the exercise would be unproductive today, he left the inn and quickly found the residence of the old man. He was actually quite unsure it was the old man’s residence, as he couldn’t find him anywhere, until he walked in and saw piles of books on tables. Looking around, he noticed a number of bookshelves that had many gaps in them. Clearly this was the problem the old man had been relaying to him earlier. After yelling a few times to no avail, he decided the old man must be out on some small errand.

Not wanting to waste any time, Nico quickly figured out the organizational pattern and began putting books away. Before long he had an entire table clear, and he’d even managed to rearrange some of the books which had clearly gotten out of order. Coming to a book which appeared to be entirely blank, he stared at it, unsure of how to categorize it. His confusion was interrupted by a voice from the doorway saying, “Don’t worry about that one, I’d been meaning to write a book myself, but my eyesight went before I had collected my thoughts well enough to put ink on the pages. You can leave that on the desk.”

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »

Attempt to commune with my ancestors while ripping out the throat of the first annoying little twerp I can get my hands on. Leave Arno to his throwing.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2013, 04:22:32 pm »

Attempt to commune with my ancestors while ripping out the throat of the first annoying little twerp I can get my hands on. Leave Arno to his throwing.

(6) TsuJochi is momentarily imbued with Cadus' nimble combat style. (Hit chance = 60 + 4(12 - 11) + 5 = 69)

Reaching out towards the nearest brownie, (11) he managed to grab it (5) and tear off it's thorny armor. As the armor came off, the creature suddenly transformed to a small log, which TsuJochi quickly dropped.

Arno (hit chance = 60 + (throwing dagger modifier of 4) = 64) whipped a dagger in the direction of another of the creatures (87), but the brownie dissolved into the tree trunk, leaving his dagger sticking out of the tree.

Of the three remaining brownies (hit chance versus TsuJochi = 56, hit chance versus Arno = 60) (95, 76, 29, 6), two of them ineffectually tried to whip at the pair. The third, however, jumped into one tree, and while the two were watching that direction, it whipped from behind, tangling Arno's legs in it's vine. It then pulled him into the tree, and left him on a higher branch of the tree in a thorny tangle.
My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »

Meyath remembered the use of spears, they worked much better in the water than bows did, and they never used bows back home. She grabbed a spear, if they were weighted to throw she grabbed two, before silently following the hunter.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »

Use the connection to draw raw energy into my body to enhance my physical abilities then rip the remaining 3 to pieces and keep them occupied while Arno uses one of his knives to cut himself free.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

Use the connection to draw raw energy into my body to enhance my physical abilities then rip the remaining 3 to pieces and keep them occupied while Arno uses one of his knives to cut himself free.

(6 -1 for lack of relation to magic specialization) Further appeals to Cadus in this moment of need led to a form of martial trance which allowed TsuJochi being able to address multiple combat threats simultaneously. (63, 6), (48, 5) (19, 4)

He turned to the first brownie (63, 6) and tackled it to the ground before ripping off it armor in a similar fashion. Dropping his second kill, (48, 5) he grabbed another of the spiny threats and threw it hard enough into a tree to leave it unconscious at the base of the tree. Whirling towards his final threat (19, 4), he grabbed the brownie in a bear-hug tackle, which it managed to spin out of. However, as it attempted it's escape a number of it's thorns stuck inside of TsuJochi's skin, resulting in a deanimated log escaping his grasp but leaving him with a couple of gashes.

(5) Arno managed to cut himself down and gingerly climb down from the tree, his pants nearly shredded from his ordeal and a number of small wounds littering his exposed skin.
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »

(( Damn my rolls went well. ))

Continue my journey, when we come to a river clean my gashes.
Caine's law.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »

Sofia bolted off of her stool, standing straight up, and reaching for her bow, which she got out, and got ready, pointing it in the direction of the fog.
"Turchin, do you see that?"
Ready my bow.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8