Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71138 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »

I mean, that's all assuming that the zombies aren't made up of thinking muscle, in which case you'd probably need to use a rocket launcher.

Not even that, if the "... of the Living Dead" movies are any indication, as even the severed bits were able to attack(and infect?). Flamethrowers all the way.

That's artistic license at its finest. A muscle is just a part of a rope-and-pulley system - specifically, the rope. You need a moved object, that being the bone, and the block, tendons and ligaments, to do shit. And with continuous exertion and no influx of nutriments, a severed bodypart would last and hour, tops.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »

Yeah, those zombie bits just doesn't make biological or even physical sense.  Now if it were a fantasy setting I could understand, because majicks are strong, yo.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

I'd also like to remind everyone that there's a couple of islands in the south Pacific that (a) are totally useless to nuke and (b) very easy to cut off from the rest of the world.

So :P on your apocalypse theory.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2014, 03:11:42 pm »

For a bush-life, on-the-run all purpose firearm that you would use against ebola zombies as well as living human rivals and hunting game for dinner all in one, useful at medium or close range, the clear choice is a simple, rugged semiautomatic battle rifle or one of the better assault rifles in a common chambering.

Whatever you have on hand, but if a choice, it boils down to:
AK-47 (rugged, higher capacity) or
SKS (rugged, accuracy, slim profile) or
AR-15 (accuracy, higher capacity)

+ a simple knife which is used more for survival than anything but is a nice backup
+ a hatchet, serving very efficiently as both main melee/silent weapon + major utility helpfulness for survival. Most hatchets also have both sharp and hammer sides to them, offering even more flexibility (hammer side = messier, bad if blood contact infects you. But less likely to jam and thus good for small crowds of zombies)

(weapons only discussed, also need filters, canteen, fire starter, etc. of course)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 06, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »

Bear in mind that most of the scavengers you'd be competing for resources with would be former Texans, who are some of the most heavily armed civilians on the planet.

Also, yeah, I know there's no way that an ebolazombie would work the way I described. It's still a cool thought, though.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2014, 03:29:10 pm »

Don't worry, the states of Europe actually have fully functional healthcare system (unlike US).
Of which the good Chairman is a member, hence his worry. If I recall correctly, anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 06, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »

This is one weird avatar you have, Bauglir.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 06, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »

Why, thank you! I pickled the figs myself. I have a variety of hobbies, and drawing stuff like that is one of them.

And I assure you, if duplicated in goat's blood, it almost certainly will not summon an ebolabat. If it does, probably a coincidence.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #458 on: October 06, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »

AK-47 (rugged, higher capacity)
SKS (rugged, accuracy, slim profile) or
AR-15 (accuracy, higher capacity)
цомерад where are your nuggets? Artyom would be disappointed.

+ a simple knife which is used more for survival than anything but is a nice backup
+ a hatchet, serving very efficiently as both main melee/silent weapon + major utility helpfulness for survival. Most hatchets also have both sharp and hammer sides to them, offering even more flexibility (hammer side = messier, bad if blood contact infects you. But less likely to jam and thus good for small crowds of zombies)
(weapons only discussed, also need filters, canteen, fire starter, etc. of course)
You must make more preparations friend, the ebolabat will get you at this rate. Myself I accept my doom, but there is yet hope for the land of freedoom.

Also, there is no escaping survivor Serbs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 06, 2014, 05:48:54 pm »

Don't worry, the states of Europe actually have fully functional healthcare system (unlike US).
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of all our Nobel Prizes in Medicine!
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:14 pm »

Nobel Prizes != actual healthcare.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #461 on: October 06, 2014, 05:59:02 pm »

Nobel Prizes != actual healthcare.
The USA probably boasts the best medical equipment in the world; when the NHS can't deal with something they fly the patient overseas to a hospital with cutting-edge technology, usually this means to Murrica.
Availability though...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #462 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »

It's because the country tries to run healthcare as an industry, rather than a service.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 06, 2014, 06:24:06 pm »

If England were to be the location of the ebola outbreak, they'd figure out a cure in a week. You'd just have to wait 3 months for treatment. It says a lot about Obamacare that they tried to model it after the NHS.

It's because the country tries to run healthcare as an industry, rather than a service.

And this is a bad thing? 'Muhrica runs off of privatization; at least, it used to. You can complain about it all ya want.

I think that any sort of nationalized health-care system is a bad idea, from an economic standpoint. From a (United States) Constitutional standpoint, a federal health-care system is exactly the sort of thing the US Government is not supposed to be doing. If a state tries a state-subsidized health-care system, then I'll still think it's bloody stupid, and I'll fight against it if they come to my state, but it's that state's prerogative to try it out.

My two ('Muhrican) bits.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #464 on: October 06, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »

It's a bad thing when people can't afford healthcare. I'm not saying the government needs to pay for all of it, mind, but some kind of subsidy for accidents or infectious diseases is better than nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48