Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71035 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Bay12 Doomstone World Disaster watch: Currently crewed by Hazards
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 08:22:12 pm »

We're all safe, the cobalt-60 was found. Stay tuned for the next possible disasters as they happen.

Disasters currently happening around the world right now or recently:
Nuclear Event in USA on Tuesday, 03 December, 2013 at 04:23 (04:23 AM) UTC.
Nine Mile Point Nuclear Power Plant  New York
"SCRIBA, N.Y. -- Operators at Nine Mile Point Unit 2 nuclear reactor shut down the plant this morning after pumps that circulate water through the reactor shut off while being shifted to a lower speed."

Biological Hazard in China on Tuesday, 03 December, 2013 at 04:31 (04:31 AM) UTC.
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
"Hong Kong has confirmed its first case of the new strain of the H7N9 bird flu in a domestic worker from Indonesia."

Epidemic Hazard in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, 02 May, 2013 at 07:12 (07:12 AM) UTC.
Provinces of Eastern and Al-Qassim
"Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health recently announced an additional laboratory-confirmed case of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection, the World Health Organization said on Thursday." Also infecting people from the UAE, may spread to other countries.

Environment Pollution in Japan on Monday, 29 July, 2013 at 06:32 (06:32 AM) UTC.
 Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant
"The utility said about 1,130 tons of water with low levels of radiation – below the 30 becquerels of strontium per litre safety limit imposed by Japanese authorities – were released into the ground."
Damage levels: Extreme

Shark Hazard in USA on Tuesday, 03 December, 2013 at 03:58 (03:58 AM) UTC.
Some bloke got eaten by a shark in Hawaii

Extreme Weather in North Atlantic Ocean on Wednesday, 04 December, 2013 at 04:15 (04:15 AM) UTC.
Scotland and Norway, brace yourselves for the worst part of 90mph winds. Owlbread, stock up on spirit and good fortune. Other European countries neighbouring those affected, keep an eye out because you may be in for the rough ride too.

Technological Disaster in Burkina Faso on Wednesday, 04 December, 2013 at 06:07 (06:07 AM) UTC.
Mine collapsed in the province of Bale. The illegally run mine was destroyed by heavy rain, killing more than 30 people.

Biological Hazard in Vietnam on Friday, 04 October, 2013 at 14:45 (02:45 PM) UTC.
Wondo Vina Co Ltd in Cho Gao District
"Salmonella found in Vietnam factory food poisoning, nearly 1,000 workers hospitalized."

Flash Flood in Indonesian Archipelagos on Wednesday, 04 December, 2013 at 06:39 (06:39 AM) UTC.
States of Pahang and Terengganu and Johor
Over 20,000 Malaysians have had to evacuate due to country-wide flash floods.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 04:13:46 am »

Environment Pollution in Japan on Monday, 29 July, 2013 at 06:32 (06:32 AM) UTC.
 Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant
"The utility said about 1,130 tons of water with low levels of radiation – below the 30 becquerels of strontium per litre safety limit imposed by Japanese authorities – were released into the ground."
Damage levels: Extreme
I have to protest this classification.

I mean, it's extremely little radiation. All the water together undergoos about 1130000 instances of beta decay each second. The typical maximal kinetic energy of these particles is 1.602176565(35)×10−19 J. Giving, if we assume perfect absorbtion (which never happens) a total dose of 1,81045951845*10-13 Sievert per second. Or 1,81045951845*10-7 nanosievert.

This is  a million times less than the equivalent dose of eating 1 banana.

((I really hope I didn't screw this up)) 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:33:32 am by 10ebbor10 »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:40 am »

From the orders of magnitude it seems like you did, unless you eat some funky bananas - but still, the classification seems inappropriate. Japanese government agencies are not exclusively staffed by idiots, they'll have known what they were doing when setting the safety limit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 07:52:35 am »

No, the order of magnitude difference is probably correct. This is after all, nothing more than a massive amount rainwater with some low level nuclear waste in it. However, I calculated the per second dose, for a creature weighting 1 kg. For a creature weighting 60 kg, and over a span of 30 days, the absorbed dose would be approximately 0.0078 nanosievert. Which is about a tenth of a Banana equivalent dose. Still nothing, but slightly more realistic.

Also, the Banana-Equivalent-Dose is quite high, larger than the actual dose. (It assumes an irradiation period of 30 days, while the actual amount of potassium is flushed out of your body in a few hours.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:03 am »

ITT: Aaaaaaah!
Shoes...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:51 am »

On a side note, I could try to calculate the dosages for longer than 30 days, but Strontium has a half life of only 90 days, so then things become inaccurate, and I don't feel like integrating stuff today.

On another side note, the other nuclear article is also overhyped. Truly. During a routine operation, the primary pumps of the primary cooling system stopped. (The 2 back-ups were doing fine, as were all other systems). They were restarted quickly after the event, but the reactor was shut down just because of the extremely strict safety regulations.

Honestly, this doesn't even reach Unusual Situation on the nuclear incidents danger lists.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:44:42 am by 10ebbor10 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Stormstone World Disaster watch: ITT: Aaaaaaah!
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »

Well the snow came down so heavy at one point in my face that I lost my footing and fell over onto my hands and knees while ascending some steps in public. I think I said "Jesus fucking Christ" and completely lost all dignity, taking several seconds to rise again. Truly this is a terrible storm.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2013, 05:37:24 pm »

Well the snow came down so heavy at one point in my face that I lost my footing and fell over onto my hands and knees while ascending some steps in public. I think I said "Jesus fucking Christ" and completely lost all dignity, taking several seconds to rise again. Truly this is a terrible storm.
Ha ha yeah, halfway through my journey the storm hit. Couldn't stop swearing all the way back every time I had to walk under a tree or a dustbin started rolling away with every bloody gust.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2013, 05:40:19 pm »

Ha ha yeah, halfway through my journey the storm hit. Couldn't stop swearing all the way back every time I had to walk under a tree or a dustbin started rolling away with every bloody gust.

Swearing profusely and squinting with a grimace on your face is compulsory when navigating streets in stormy weather.

The great metropolis of Glasgow was basically brought to a standstill today because of the weather. They even had to close and evacuate Glasgow Central Station because of damage to the glass ceiling. Trampolines are flying everywhere. In my Highland retreat all is well, but considerably snowier. I believe the snow will be heavier tomorrow. Hopefully it will stay with us until Christmas.

Last time we experienced something like this we called it Hurricane Bawbag.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:00:54 pm by Owlbread »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2013, 08:17:45 pm »

They even had to close and evacuate Glasgow Central Station because of damage to the glass ceiling.
"Mass panic struck Glasgow Central today when structural stress due to severe storm conditions came close to finally achieving gender wage parity. Officials, fearing the worst, are currently rehearsing Layoff Plan Beta."

Seriously though, best of luck over there. No dying.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:50 pm »

Jesus Christ, Africa, stop getting so many diseases on a regular basis, it's horrible.
I blame history...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:43 am »

Pretty nasty storms and blizzards in western Norway today, although the only abnormal thing about it so far is that it hasn't caused a complete traffic fuckup in the city I live in like it normally does.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »

Jesus Christ, Africa, stop getting so many diseases on a regular basis, it's horrible.
I blame history...
Living in the tropics gives the perfect environment for diseases to survive and thrive. Warm, humid and plenty of disease vectors from bitey bugs and bad water/barefoot walking.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2013, 08:50:18 pm »

I blame history...
Living in the tropics gives the perfect environment for diseases to survive and thrive. Warm, humid and plenty of disease vectors from bitey bugs and bad water/barefoot walking.
That's why Madagascar is always shut down.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48