Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 70993 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Yellowstone Volcano-watch
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »

Wasting resources and time on an issue that is fundamentally beyond human control, also does you no good.

:D

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »

Wasting resources and time on an issue that is fundamentally beyond human control, also does you no good.

:D
No, it allows me to asses whether I can or will survive, if so what to be prepared for after, and how to survive and thrive on the off-chance the world as we know it ends in fire and ash. Increasing the chances of surviving if a unlikely event occurs does me some small measure of good, which could make me alive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:13 pm »

This is just a sign that the plump helmet genetic engineering program will need to be accelerated a bit.

On a more serious note, I live on the [REDACTED] shore of the Great Lakes, so I'd probably be in trouble if I stuck around, but not as much as some others here. It is pretty windy where I live, and my roof is pretty steeply sloped (it snows a lot here, too) so my roof MIGHT not collapse. My main concern is supplies afterward. Most of North America's plant life will be basically dead for the next few years, on account of all that ash and lack of sunlight according to this source.

I wonder if lake water could be distilled in decent quantities? And do people think foreign governments/NGO's will send significant aid for cleanup or humanitarian relief?

On a side note: Humanity living as a whole does me absolutely no good if I'm dead.
This. It wouldn't matter much to me that our food and population problems are solved if I brought it about by dying. War though, war never changes. I don't think a calamity like this will do much to reduce competition. Especially with essential resources as scarce as they'll end up. The US and Canada are both net food exporters after all...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:52 am »

On the plus side, this would probably provide a pretty decent motivation to get the government back up and running.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 05:05:14 am »

PTW, it shall be glorious.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 07:20:38 am »

On the plus side, this would probably provide a pretty decent motivation to get the government back up and running.
let's go this way, if only for teh lulz. Let's debate the positive effects of a Yellowstone megasplosion. :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:06 am »

let's go this way, if only for teh lulz. Let's debate the positive effects of a Yellowstone megasplosion. :P

Like the spike in fertility from the volcanic ash?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 11:58:09 am »

Followed by the drop in fertility from reduced sunlight, as well as everything being covered in ash. ((Fertilizer is good, but not when the plant doesn't reach the surface anymore))

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »

If the eruption happens, maybe I would finally make a snowman in my front lawn. Also, American society will be perfectly preserved for historians thousands of years from now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:57 pm »

Followed by the drop in fertility from reduced sunlight, as well as everything being covered in ash. ((Fertilizer is good, but not when the plant doesn't reach the surface anymore))
Hmmm... so, basically, enough humans will need to survive that they can start manually dropping seeds on the top. I'll have to make sure my warband has a farmer or five, and we can finally live out my dream of raiding Monsanto.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2013, 05:09:03 pm »

Volcano monitoring things are still operating with a skeleton crew in spite of the government collapse; they'll be fine for a while until equipment starts degrading due to lack of maintenance.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 05:12:22 pm »

... and we can finally live out my dream of raiding Monsanto.

Oh good. I'm not the only one. I'm in.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Yellowstone Volcano-watch: Currently crewed by skeletons
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »

The wording of the title implies either a skeleton crew of bay12ers or a crew of bay12ian skeletons is currently watching over Yellowstone.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:07 pm »

How is either of those things a bad thing?

The latter especially is heartwarming. Undead don't need air, water, food, or money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 06:23:50 pm »

It ain't heartwarming if you literally have no heart.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48