Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Spiders? Spiders.  (Read 13825 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Spiders? Spiders.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

PTW.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »

Jumping spiders. AKA chibi spiders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsGvT2DYJMc
Jumping spiders often seem to find their way onto my desk at work.

I am terrified of them, because one landed on my leg and bit me when I was nine. It may have not actually bit me and I just panicked because of AHHH Spider on my leg! But damn it I will be terrified of the teeny tiny spider if I wish to.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:24 pm »

Yeah, I doubt a jumping spider would bite. For one they're usually like a couple millimeters long, and so most probably can't even penetrate the skin. But more importantly, you aren't an organism or predator to them, you're a piece of terrain. You're bigger to them than the stone giants from The Hobbit movie. It isn't in their best interest to simultaneously piss off and inform such a creature where on its body they are.

Even among the much maligned spiders such as black widows and brown recluse, they generally do their best to avoid people. The main bite cases are either when rummaging around in dark, undisturbed areas where they're hiding, or small children deciding that, since it moves, it is a toy to be played with. The latter case being the most likely to cause death. Primarily because the venom typically is only fatal for young children or those who are health-compromised in other ways.

Considering spiders live in pretty much every home, they're much safer than dogs, which kill about 5 times more people a year in the US, despite living in only a fraction of homes. :P

Even with the Super Scary Deadly Brown Recluse, you pretty much won't get bit. Despite that, according to articles like this, hundreds of brown recluse bites are diagnosed by doctors each year.... in places they don't live and have never been seen. http://newsroom.ucr.edu/304
Overdiagnosis of brown recluse bites is a nationwide problem. In 1990 in South Carolina, 940 physicians reported 478 brown recluse bites. In 2000 in Florida, 95 brown recluse bites were reported from the 21 counties under the jurisdiction of the Tampa Poison Control Center. Yet arachnologists who have worked for years in these regions and have collected thousands of spiders, have never found recluses, and homeowners have yet to submit a local brown recluse to them for verification.
http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:34:21 pm by alway »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:38 am »

Once in a while I think that I might want a pet spider, and I think about how I'd care for it and where I'd put it. But then I remember that I can't even tolerate having flies land on me, and think about what it'd feel like to have a spider on my skin. Brrr :'(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 12:03:19 am »

Logical conclusion, get a snake.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:01 am »

Care and feeding of a pet spider:

Leave the spider alone.

That's it. Just leave it alone, know where it is, and let it be. Check on it from time to time, See how it's doing. Say hi to the spider, but dont mess with the spider.  The spider will be quite content to feed and care for itself. It doesnt mind your looking at it, and admiring it or its webs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:11 am »

Leave the spider alone.

That's it. Just leave it alone, know where it is, and let it be. Check on it from time to time, See how it's doing. Say hi to the spider, but dont mess with the spider.  The spider will be quite content to feed and care for itself. It doesnt mind your looking at it, and admiring it or its webs.

Would it be alright to keep it in any sort of container and feed it dead bugs from a pet store? I've seen spiders around in my apartment, but no webs, which means they're coming in from outside or live inside the walls/pipes somehow. Even if I did get over myself and obtain a spider to keep as a pet, I wouldn't really be alright with having an unknown number of spiders in my house.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 12:36:33 am »

I've got a tarantula, her name's Stephanie. She once got a nasty mite infestation, so I had to brush her with some medicine. Also, got some superglue in case I ever need to stop her bleeding, but since the mites she hasn't had any medical issues.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 12:41:08 am »

I've got a tarantula, her name's Stephanie. She once got a nasty mite infestation, so I had to brush her with some medicine. Also, got some superglue in case I ever need to stop her bleeding, but since the mites she hasn't had any medical issues.

There's specific spider medication? I was just musing about it earlier, but now I'm really interested. I've seen three kinds of spider where I live, and a neighbor of mine is apparently infested. There was a big black kind with really thick limbs, the typical daddy longlegs, and a small brown kind about the size of a quarter. I don't remember what any of them look like specifically though, I haven't seen any since the most recent incident.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
SPOIDERS
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 01:00:56 am »

Outside my house I can commonly find little black and white jumping spiders. I live in northeastern IL, does anyone know what they are?

Also, who is in favor in talking in 8's?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 01:26:25 am »

There's specific spider medication? I was just musing about it earlier, but now I'm really interested. I've seen three kinds of spider where I live, and a neighbor of mine is apparently infested. There was a big black kind with really thick limbs, the typical daddy longlegs, and a small brown kind about the size of a quarter. I don't remember what any of them look like specifically though, I haven't seen any since the most recent incident.
Well, sort of. You get the spider out, you clean the terrarium and microwave the substrate, then you brush the mites off the spider. Then with another brush you put a teeny tiny amount of petroleum jelly on her thorax (not on the abdomen! keep it away from her breathing holes!) to keep the mites off. It annoys the spider a bit, but she'll live and will clean it off herself once she's back in her home.

I've never had to use antibiotics to treat a spider, but I believe they're also applied via brush, near the mouth or breathing holes.

Here's a video of someone de-miting a more aggressive species (WARNING! stupid music!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8dyRAZDYQ
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:26 am »

Leave the spider alone.

I had a pet spider like this where I previously lived. It seemed to like corners of one particular wall, and I let it stay - moving it to that wall whenever it was in a place where it could be more easily accidentally squished - as long as it would eat all the flies, mosquitoes and whatnot. Didn't have many flying insects in my room that summer.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 09:18:30 am »

I'm squeamish around really big spiders for only one reason:
A couple of tarantula handlers have told me that tarantulas can't actually handle long falls or hard impacts with the ground. Because they're so large and heavy compared to most insects/arachnids, it's possible for the impact to crack their exoskeleton which would injure and possibly kill them.

As a result whenever I'm near a large tarantula-style spider, inside my head I'm going "gah no i'm going to drop it and kill it it's going to die and it'll be my fault no no no". Which is weird because I do squish certain small spiders without remorse. I guess because they're so large they cross the line between "tiny squishable bug" and "small actual animal" for me. So it would be like killing, I don't know, a hamster or small bird. D:

I also get really freaked out whenever idiots are getting jump-scared with real tarantulas on TV for the same reason. So dangerous for the spider. :(

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 02:05:16 am »

it's time to move all of the spider talk and pictures to this thread.
all of the spider talk

I'll just leave this here.

Spiderses

Quote from: spiderses
it was like a crunchy potato chip bag full of chips got throwed into an chainlink fence and i dont know wer this metaphor goesing. amynore.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 02:17:07 am »

I've enjoyed watching all the spiders in my bathroom lately. Not sure what species they are. There was five of them carrying egg sacks, but some have hatched.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10