Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Looter's Delight 2: I am the Lizard King  (Read 36200 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Looter's Delight 2: A Deathmatch with Treasure: Mr. Torgue Would be Proud
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »

Thanks for that link.

So, I don't understand what "μS/cm" is (yet), or whether it being higher or lower makes something a better conductor or worse; but we can find out. Molasses, the liquid in question, has 300 μS/cm at 10 degrees Celsius, and 5000 μS/cm at 50 degrees Celsius. Water (distilled; I think that means as pure as possible) apparently has .04, and I know electrolytes (suspended particles, or something) make it more conductive. New York City Water, according to your chart, has 72 μS/cm, and has sufficient suspended particles to call it more conductive. Sodium Chloride, or table salt, is definitively conductive in a solution of water. The lowest recorded concentration has 67,200 μS/cm; Far more than city water, or even molasses. It then goes up to 215,000 μS/cm.

So, what I'm seeing so far is that Molasses may not be conductive enough to kill, but is more conductive than water.

Not satisfied, I then googled "μS/cm", and wound up at wikipedia, the "Conductivity (electrolytic)" page. I learned that S/m is siemens per meter, and came to the simple/obvious conclusion that "μS/cm" is related to S/m. Multiply X μS/cm by a hundred to get μS/m... but what is μ? It helpfully tells me that 1,000,000 μS/cm = 1,000 mS/cm = 1 S/cm, meaning... that I did a very unnecessary calculation. However, I really want to compare copper to our liquids, and the only measurement I can find for copper is resistance, in nanoohm-meters. Finally, I find p=1/o, or roughly something like that, and it tells me that converts from ohm-meters to S/m; so all I have to do is find that copper is... 0.00000001678 ohm-meters, or... 5,9590,000 S/m; or 595,900,000,000 μS/cm.

In other words, copper has 5.959 x 1011 μS/cm, far more than water, molasses, etc., Proving that a higher value means more conductive, which any real scientist worth his NaCl would have known already. It also shows that copper is far superior to salt water as a conductor, salt water is superior to molasses, and molasses is superior to tap water.

Which means it's probably up in the air still as to whether electrified molasses is lethal.
and wow 10 posts while I was researching and typing that eep
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 16, 2013, 11:21:03 pm »

This derail is getting ridiculous. It'll be hilarious if the electric crossbow guy doesn't even get to shoot the river.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 16, 2013, 11:23:55 pm »

"'Bash my brains out extra'? Your syntax leaves much to be desired! Go away before I thrash you!"
((It doesn't matter to CZA really, he's just angry about everyone converging on him.))
((Again, redneck/jock hybrid.))
"Shut up and die! And turn into loot that I can use without having to strain my back!"

"I don't like you!"

Thanks for that link.

So, I don't understand what "μS/cm" is (yet), or whether it being higher or lower makes something a better conductor or worse; but we can find out. Molasses, the liquid in question, has 300 μS/cm at 10 degrees Celsius, and 5000 μS/cm at 50 degrees Celsius. Water (distilled; I think that means as pure as possible) apparently has .04, and I know electrolytes (suspended particles, or something) make it more conductive. New York City Water, according to your chart, has 72 μS/cm, and has sufficient suspended particles to call it more conductive. Sodium Chloride, or table salt, is definitively conductive in a solution of water. The lowest recorded concentration has 67,200 μS/cm; Far more than city water, or even molasses. It then goes up to 215,000 μS/cm.

So, what I'm seeing so far is that Molasses may not be conductive enough to kill, but is more conductive than water.

Not satisfied, I then googled "μS/cm", and wound up at wikipedia, the "Conductivity (electrolytic)" page. I learned that S/m is siemens per meter, and came to the simple/obvious conclusion that "μS/cm" is related to S/m. Multiply X μS/cm by a hundred to get μS/m... but what is μ? It helpfully tells me that 1,000,000 μS/cm = 1,000 mS/cm = 1 S/cm, meaning... that I did a very unnecessary calculation. However, I really want to compare copper to our liquids, and the only measurement I can find for copper is resistance, in nanoohm-meters. Finally, I find p=1/o, or roughly something like that, and it tells me that converts from ohm-meters to S/m; so all I have to do is find that copper is... 0.00000001678 ohm-meters, or... 5,9590,000 S/m; or 595,900,000,000 μS/cm.

In other words, copper has 5.959 x 1011 μS/cm, far more than water, molasses, etc., Proving that a higher value means more conductive, which any real scientist worth his NaCl would have known already. It also shows that copper is far superior to salt water as a conductor, salt water is superior to molasses, and molasses is superior to tap water.

Which means it's probably up in the air still as to whether electrified molasses is lethal.
and wow 10 posts while I was researching and typing that eep

((It would have been way easier just to look up actual tests of electric crossbows firing into rivers of molasses.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »

:P Yes, well, I like to look at things from the most obtuse angle I can find, and go about it in a roundabout semiscientific matter.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »

((I doubt it. That's pretty specific.))

"I don't care, I'm going to kill you! ...Once I get over there, this mace is heavy!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:12 pm »

"I don't care, I'm going to kill you! ...Once I get over there, this mace is heavy!"

"Do you ever wonder why we have ample opportunity to talk while we try to murder each other? As if some great being controls the universe and determines when we take action, and dialogue makes up the filler space in between these actions? I'm assuming that you don't, because you are an inbred simpleton."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:52:11 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2013, 11:48:44 pm »

"Or because I don't think about stupid stuff, about how we're just shadows on a cave wall or some shit. That's more the preview of philosophy. I'm more focused on practical problems, like bashing your head in!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »

"Do you ever wonder why we have ample opportunity to talk while we try to murder each other? As if some great being controls the universe and determines when we take action, and dialogue makes up the filler space in between these actions? I'm assuming that you don't, because you are an inbred simpleton."
"Or because I don't think about stupid stuff, about how we're just shadows on a cave wall or some shit. That's more the preview of philosophy. I'm more focused on practical problems, like bashing your head in!"
"Gentlemen, all this arguing is hurting my ears. End the noise and settle this the old-fashioned way, or stop the debates and kill other people.

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2013, 08:31:46 am »

Do I hear some !SCIENCE! about to happen?
(oh and I've learned more in the last 10 hours in this thread than I would in 3 days of school. Sorry about the derail)

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:39 am »

I like how everyone is fine and then there's Alena.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:21 pm »

I like how everyone is fine and then there's Alena.

"MY GOSH DARN ARM IS GONE, HOW IN HECK DO YOU THINK I'D BE FINE!?"
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Supermichael777

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly unusual political veiws
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

I think people are misinterpreting distilled water and tap water in their basis for conductivity. pure water is an insulator while tap water, which contains trace salts and other chemicals added to improve the taste and to help sterilize the pipes like fluorides, is mildly conductive when compared to something like wood. Water is dangerous not because it itself is conductive but because it increases the conductivity through the layers of dead skin. the insides of the human body are more conductive then the skin (dry or wet) or air. so electricity would conduct through the path with the least total resistance. which when wet or standing in water is through the body. this is mostly due to humans being a big bag of salt water. however this is kind of made irrelevant when the thing shocking you is an arrow to the gut.

edit: excluding magic the lightning will just ground in the riverbed instead of murdering the whole river. however it is magic murder lightning
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:07:26 pm by Supermichael777 »

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »

I think people are misinterpreting distilled water and tap water in their basis for conductivity. pure water is an insulator while tap water, which contains trace salts and other chemicals added to improve the taste and to help sterilize the pipes like fluorides, is mildly conductive when compared to something like wood. Water is dangerous not because it itself is conductive but because it increases the conductivity through the layers of dead skin. the insides of the human body are more conductive then the skin (dry or wet) or air. so electricity would conduct through the path with the least total resistance. which when wet or standing in water is through the body. this is mostly due to humans being a big bag of salt water. however this is kind of made irrelevant when the thing shocking you is an arrow to the gut.

edit: excluding magic the lightning will just ground in the riverbed instead of murdering the whole river. however it is magic murder lightning

We have a winner! Provided that the arrow doesn't hit CZA or land right next to him, he'll be fine! Anyways, I just got my wisdom teeth yanked today (all four of them at once, as well as a readjustment of the molar that they had displaced), so don't expect a turn today or tomorrow. Maybe Wednesday, but it all depends on how quickly I heal up.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2013, 07:22:45 pm »

If your on as many pain killers as I was when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, then I wouldn't expect much of anything from you for a couple weeks. (I was put on oxycodone, and that entire month is one giant blur in my memory)

Also, You guys have successfully gotten me addicted to worm. Congratulations, you bastards.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »

Had my wisdom teeth out as an adult, all four, only local anesthetic. It was weird to smell the burnt tooth dust as the dentist drilled them apart. But he only had to do that to two of them; the other two just pulled right out. Felt like breaking wet bark. Sure my mouth hurt for a couple weeks, but it was really only that bad for the first couple days.

Gave me itty bitty percocet which I didn't even use until I had to stop taking 800mg anti-inflammatory because it was hurting my stomach too much.

I was fine with being conscious for a guy breaking my teeth apart and yanking them out of my head, but the tylenol gave me an upset tummy!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26