Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 168239 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP : Starting!
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2013, 10:12:21 pm »

You haven't actually done anything. I literally just made up a large portion of the damn heroes headquarters right up off of my head cause apparently you can't describe a building. All you've done is basically 'Wut? Eh? yeah whatevs's you do that thing you were talking about, what do next?'
1. I never asked you to describe the building. I never saw the need.
2. I'm still not sure what you're trying to do. You're demonstrating this; what does that mean?

Me traveling to the building didn't trigger the need to describe said building?

Also, you gotta run all tinker stuff by the directors or something in order for them to be cleared for use. That is what I mean by demonstrating, showing off the capabilities of what I made and what it can do.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2013, 10:22:42 pm »

1. Do you want me to describe everything you walk by? I'm perfectly fine with describing only the parts of the surroundings which are directly relevant, or which are novel, or interesting, or something. The description of the building is hardly relevant to this scene, nor is it new for Tabitha, nor would it be terribly interesting. If you want me to write a paragraph on each building you approach and each room you enter, you've got the wrong GM.

2. So...will you now be running around in front of the director?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »

1. Well, a description of the main Protectorate building slash my base and lab would be kinda, you know, critical. Shouldn't it be? Am I supposed to view surroundings as a blank grey fog? Also fucking yes I want you to describe everything I walk by. It might come in handy! You never know when you'd need a brick that happens to be nearby.

2. Basically. Well, make a small speech detailing what I've made and take a sprint before I use it so as to compare it.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »

Kevin frowned. Both of the plans he came up with were terrible and he was hoping Sarah would come up with a better one.

"You guysh need a car?I'll do whatever I cann to help" The drunken man had heard their conversation as he approached.

"Ya, we could use one, where is it." Kevin said

The drunken man pointed down the street.

"over that-a-away" Then momentarily looked confused
"no wait, not there." and he spun around nearly tripped on himself and ended up pointing in the same direction.
"that way."

It didn't matter, that was the direction they needed to go to get to the PRT building anyway.
Kevin grabbed the drunken man put him over his shoulder and started running
"Come on Sarah, let's go."

The drunken man was staring at Sarah while still being draped over Kevins shoulder emitting nothing but an ongoing"huurrrrrrr" sound with the occasional hiccup and burp.
Selina followed as best she could, her arm causing her a lot of pain. She really hoped she would get through this okay.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2013, 10:59:13 pm »

Continuing his short flight steven flows into the wall of the tunnel before bouncing straight back out to impale gardeners companion and enters the wall behind him before quickly flowing up and dropping from the ceiling to take another stab at gardener.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:27:26 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2013, 11:02:54 pm »

((sent you a pm cado))
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:21 am »

((Question to those who've read all of Worm - is Taylor ever beaten?
And I don't mean killed or whatever - main character and all - but I'm on 16.11 and I'm kinda starting to lose interest in reading because I know that no matter what the threat, whether it be the (spoiler) or the 9 (spoilers) or the 7 (spoilers) she's always going to win out somehow. Does she ever just flat out lose a scenario, barring something like an Endbringer?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 14, 2013, 07:22:45 am »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:34 am »

O.o

I think i just got the motivation i needed to reommence binge reading.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 14, 2013, 08:00:36 am »

1. Well, a description of the main Protectorate building slash my base and lab would be kinda, you know, critical. Shouldn't it be? Am I supposed to view surroundings as a blank grey fog? Also fucking yes I want you to describe everything I walk by. It might come in handy! You never know when you'd need a brick that happens to be nearby.
Let me double-check that you really want to say this. Because if you do, I am going to take you literally.

2. Basically. Well, make a small speech detailing what I've made and take a sprint before I use it so as to compare it.
Alright then.
(...It's times like this that I wish there were more Tinkers as main characters in Worm. Or more heroes.)
You run into Director Mason on the way to the demonstration area and decide to get the quick introductory stuff out of the way.
"Greetings, Director. I think that my latest invention has finally reached a workable state."
Tabitha removes two containers of the stimulant, one to hand to an assistant so the formula can be tested by others for toxicity and such, and one to actually use on herself.
"This is a stimulant at heart, with some other chemicals that I've explained in the documentation. The end result: A serum that grants temporary super-speed."
By this time, you have reached the demonstration area. You inject the serum and everything slows down just a bit. You start sprinting; it feels like you are going about 25 miles per hour, but given the altered perception of time you're probably closer to 40. You slow down after a bit, and continue jogging until the serum wears off. Panting, you return to the Director.
"Data?"
"Top speed sixty-nine miles per hour, with speeds above fifty maintained for two minutes fourteen seconds. Maintained speeds above forty klicks per hour for a further two minutes and seven seconds, speeds above thirty miles per hour for one minute twenty-two seconds, speeds above ten miles per hour for another minute and three--"
"I get the idea. Unfortunately, we can't know if this is from fatigue or a degradation of the effects from the data alone. Tabitha? Did your tests indicate a significant drop in effectiveness of the serum over time?"
[16+1]
Tabitha catches her breath and says, "No. The effects typically dropped to nil within five to ten minutes, varying with physical exertion, heat, and of course dosage. Extreme exertion causes a significant drop in the time that the serum is effective for, and as typical the formulas are tailored for one person's biochemistry, with duration around 10 to 30% lower for other individuals. Whatever the duration, assuming a roughly constant level of physical activity, the effect maintains roughly 85 to 90% of its total effect until the last tenth of the duration."
The Director nods. "Thank you. I don't suppose you've cross-tested it with other chemicals yet?"
"Not yet, no."
"Alright. Thank you for this. We'll check the documentation, and we expect some basic cross-testing soon, but I think this serum can pretty much be called approved."

Continuing his short flight flows into the wall of the tunnel before bouncing straight back out to impale her companion and enter the wall behind him before quickly flowing up and dropping from the ceiling to take another stab at gardener.
[12]
[18+2v14]
The companion is taken down in one blow.
[5-2v16]
Gardener grows a simple, if somewhat sharp, sapling out of a wall, but Steven is too fast.
[18+3v6]
He drops Gardener with a single blow as well.

((Question to those who've read all of Worm - is Taylor ever beaten?
And I don't mean killed or whatever - main character and all - but I'm on 16.11 and I'm kinda starting to lose interest in reading because I know that no matter what the threat, whether it be the (spoiler) or the 9 (spoilers) or the 7 (spoilers) she's always going to win out somehow. Does she ever just flat out lose a scenario, barring something like an Endbringer?))
Define "lose".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But, I'd say that she loses a lot more than you realize. She is fundamentally trying to be good; have you noticed by now how she's beating herself up for not only her failures, but her successes that didn't work out so well? That should tell you something.
And there are actually some consequences that carry over, although you might not have noticed because you're focused on Panacea and the like stepping in. The big one is the brain damage she suffered from the one concussion, which never does get healed and has recently been blamed for...I forget exactly what, but I think her more reckless behavior.

Spoiler: Response (click to show/hide)

((Quick question for Cado: Does Canada mostly use the Metric System or mostly the Imperial System?))
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:59:12 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:50 am »

((Pinball wizard is the ultimate form of melee combat.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 14, 2013, 08:13:18 am »

((Well, lose as in does an antagonist beyond something she's obviously incapable of defeating like an Endbringer ever accomplish their goals despite Taylor's opposition and get away afterward? It kinda takes away the suspense of it when she goes up against, say,
because I know that no matter the situation, she'll defeat the bad guy. Sure, she may
etc, but the villain, even supposedly untouchable ones such as
are inevitably going to lose when pitted against her.
I dunno; it just seems that she's doing too well to be a likeable protagonist, or something? Not entirely that, actually; it just doesn't sit right in my gut that she never seems to get completely f*cked over like we've seen so many others been.
Sorry if this got a bit carried away. The thoughts have been kinda building up over the last few chapters.

Of course, now that
))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 14, 2013, 08:23:20 am »

-snip-
((Taylor hasn't exactly done that on her own. The first example was pretty close to on her own, but if it wasn't for the existence of a teammate she would have been captured right then. The second example you give was really more a combination of Tattletale's power and Leet's ineptitude. And don't get me started on Leviathan.
And Taylor has one of the most versatile little powers in the setting. Combine that with...well, pretty much the powers of everyone in her group except Bitch, and you've got a pretty high-power-with-proper-use group.))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2013, 08:30:12 am »

((True that. It just seems that the inevitability of the Undersiders winning is kinda like the teams of heroes on cartoons - you can count on them to pull through because they're the protagonists. This ... I dunno, it clashes with the setting of Worm, which is clearly shown to be grimdark as all hell and morally ambiguous up the wazoo.
It just feels iffy.))
Sig! Onol

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2013, 08:32:38 am »

((also is the speedster track outside the building like an open air field or inside the building?))
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:46:28 am by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 137