Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 168110 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Indeterminate Worm-Inspired Superhero(?) Game): Signups ending!
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2013, 07:59:00 pm »

((I've never ever read Worm, but hopefully I filled in the sheet right :P))
Spoiler: Brandon Watson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:59:44 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: (Indeterminate Worm-Inspired Superhero(?) Game)
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »

His sister had a tinker/thinker power that was well suited for artistry. her creations had appearances, holographic light patterns, and caused psychic sounds that changed based on who was observing them. No one had quite the same experience with her work. People who owned these pieces usually had others that envied them. Thus her creations were in high demand.
   Some time later she gave him a device in the rough shape of a handgun. The grip was a smooth transparent crystal. There were complex structures that were etched into the surface that framed non-repetitive fractals within. It had ribbon like glass that extended the butt of the weapon there was a wing-like brace for his had to slip through. The rest changed shape as he tried to move it around in his hand. It was jagged from one view, blocky in another, Took the form of a bird in a third but was generally recognised as the barrel. After messing with some of the thinner extrusion he noted it was surprisingly durable for something that looked so fragile, also a bit too girly for his taste.
Um. I should point out, mass-producing Tinker stuff doesn't work, because it's pretty much always incredibly complicated and prone to things going wrong without the correct maintenance, and only the Tinker in question is able to fix it.
Unless I'm confusing superhero universes again, in which case nevermind.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:39 pm »

His sister had a tinker/thinker power that was well suited for artistry. her creations had appearances, holographic light patterns, and caused psychic sounds that changed based on who was observing them. No one had quite the same experience with her work. People who owned these pieces usually had others that envied them. Thus her creations were in high demand.
   Some time later she gave him a device in the rough shape of a handgun. The grip was a smooth transparent crystal. There were complex structures that were etched into the surface that framed non-repetitive fractals within. It had ribbon like glass that extended the butt of the weapon there was a wing-like brace for his had to slip through. The rest changed shape as he tried to move it around in his hand. It was jagged from one view, blocky in another, Took the form of a bird in a third but was generally recognised as the barrel. After messing with some of the thinner extrusion he noted it was surprisingly durable for something that looked so fragile, also a bit too girly for his taste.
Um. I should point out, mass-producing Tinker stuff doesn't work, because it's pretty much always incredibly complicated and prone to things going wrong without the correct maintenance, and only the Tinker in question is able to fix it.
((You arent, GWG told me the same thing when i mentioned stealing armsmasters halberd.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »

It's not a stolen item.
It's not a mass produced item.
Kevin spent enough time around his sister to know how to maintain her "art pieces".
For all intense and purposes it might as well be a broken device anyway but you couldn't tell just by looking at it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:47:32 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:29 pm »

There are exceptions to the rule, however. I believe Masamune is a Thinker who can make Tinkers' plans suitable for mass production, although I could be confusing something along the line; it's not impossible that there's a Tinker who can make things requiring minimal maintenance, especially if it is such a narrowly-focused and minimally-versatile specialty.

Trigger Event: On one such trip and the last one he had ever booked since then, he boarded the wrong flight and arrived early. He had planned to wait at the airport to apologize to the passenger he accidentally displaced (and had to take the flight Brandon booked) but a mechanical error crashed the plane onto the runway. He would never get that chance. In all, thanks to the safety features and rapid response of emergency services, only five people died. But more than five died as an indirect result. The man he had displaced was a surgeon. And because of a single mistake, he'd never save another life again.
That's certainly unpleasant, but it isn't trigger=event material. About the tamest TE was Grue's; he showed up to his mother's house to get her sister away from some thankfully unspecified thing, when his mother's boyfriend got in the way and he beat him up. In short: Implied sexual abuse of his little sister, which due to Grue's* location included an element of fear as he hurried to her, followed by a fight (during which, incidentally, his mother was screaming at him because he was beating her boyfriend to within an inch of his life). And, remember, this is the most pleasant trigger event we've heard of. Most are more like Taylor's, which involved being locked inside her locker, which had been filled with an assortment of filth that had been festering over Christmas break, for what was probably at least an hour, at the end of which time Taylor had to go to the hospital.
If being near a plane crash that some stranger you accidentally displaced was on was enough for a trigger event, there wouldn't be any normal humans left in the world.

Kevin spent enough time around his sister to know how to maintain her art pieces.
I'm calling BS on this particular argument. Tinker powers aren't something you can learn (although a certain Teacher might be able to "teach" you).

Anyways. 15 minutes to the deadline!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »

Edited to have five counts of manslaughter in one day followed by guilt, hopefully that's enough.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »

Better.

I'm going to look at all the applications now, and figure out which are the lucky ones and what their powers are!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2013, 09:13:05 pm »

((Could be that the "gun" is self maintaining, weve seen such an item before albiet much larger.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

Lucky here meaning, existing in this universe and being mentally damaged
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Pandemonious Ivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:34 pm »

So...I commented on this on the comments section, but hey, Oh Glorious GM, would it be possible to take an advisor position regarding this? Would probably add to your workload and/or be completely different from what you were planning, but on the #parahumans irc (#WeaversDice to be exact) we started working on a game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:39:57 pm by Pandemonious Ivy »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »

Augh spoilers... im still trying to read that part... i think...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

Lucky here meaning, existing in this universe and being mentally damaged
I never said it was good luck.

So...I commented on this on the comments section, but hey, Oh Glorious GM, would it be possible to take an advisor position regarding this? Would probably add to your workload and/or be completely different from what you were planning, but on the #parahumans irc (#WeaversDice to be exact) we started working on a game based off of the game Weaver played with the kids before Behemoth attacked. I'll link the related pages here so you can peruse and see if it's of any interest to you.
General rules, ideas, links and setting.
Rulebook on Character Creation: made by the author himself, I might add.
Thanks for the advice, Ivy. I think I'll skim the system and use what I can, but from the skimming and what I remember from that scene I'm not sure how applicable the system would be, especially since we're already mostly through the character-creation phase.

Augh spoilers... im still trying to read that part... i think...
Reminds me: I know we've got at least a few folks like myself who know about things like the evil telletubby and how Jack's prophecy ends up, but try not to chat about spoilers...especially not outside of spoiler tags.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it...
Sig

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2013, 09:40:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I redact the point.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:44:39 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Pandemonious Ivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

Spoiler retroactively added, perdoname. Mostly this was linked so that maybe the Worm RP will be a bit more true to the source/different from the average. (Besides, who would find it unfun to character create thusly? :P)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 09:55:25 pm »

Spoiler retroactively added, perdoname. Mostly this was linked so that maybe the Worm RP will be a bit more true to the source/different from the average. (Besides, who would find it unfun to character create thusly? :P)
Not unfun, but the rules for character creation include rolls for some of the stuff already chosen by the players.

I've got all the sheets, I just need to fill the four slots not occupied by the two obvious fits, and then write out the powery stuff. Which I might take a little inspiration from WD for, if nothing comes to mind.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 137