Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 168035 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: (Indeterminate Worm-Inspired Superhero(?) Game): Signups ending!
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »

I've got all the sheets, I just need to fill the four slots not occupied by the two obvious fits, and then write out the powery stuff. Which I might take a little inspiration from WD for, if nothing comes to mind.
Took me a moment to realize that WD was not a person, as we already have a WB and a WC.
Whoops.

Anyways, I've made my decisions and just need to write some fluff, right after a skim through the lower bit of the FGaR. But for now, a list of the six lucky players:
Cado, Derm, Empiricist, Pariah, Void, and Wolfchild.
The important thing here is that I met your challenge.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2013, 11:39:25 pm »

S every day S.  If you are causing the apocalypse you need to die as soon as possible.
Also, yay I made it.  Just out of interest, who were the shoe ins?
You and Cado. Cado's app had a bunch of things going for it (especially that PM'd thing) and not much against it, your was well-thought out and detailed...and as a bonus, this game wouldn't exist without you.
Wait, i wasnt a shoe in? I be sad now...

Why can't I hold all these feels?
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:25 pm »

I've got all the sheets, I just need to fill the four slots not occupied by the two obvious fits, and then write out the powery stuff. Which I might take a little inspiration from WD for, if nothing comes to mind.
Took me a moment to realize that WD was not a person, as we already have a WB and a WC.
Whoops.

Anyways, I've made my decisions and just need to write some fluff, right after a skim through the lower bit of the FGaR. But for now, a list of the six lucky players:
Cado, Derm, Empiricist, Pariah, Void, and Wolfchild.

aw... I must not be good at this whole character creation thing. In this particular case the gun was controversial. I think I could stand to make a more awesome character. The strategy I used was to start from the past and extrapolate a future but I consistently made characters that were too powerful or had character development advanced enough to be boring. Next time I'll do the reverse. I'll imagine an epic destiny/end game and extrapolate the minimum character traits necessary to fulfill that role. The character may be created but the destiny will probably not happen.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2013, 12:10:57 am »

This will get explained if I ever finish the post, but the gun was really just the straw that broke the camel's back. The big thing is that there were a lot of well-thought-out characters.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:03 am »

Really? Mine counted as well thought out? My method for characterization is normally to throw them into the game and see what happens, then keep it consistent. Not complaining though

((also I have 20 minutes till I need to leave for work, and I want to get Will on the ground in super academy before that, so your not stuck))
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:26 am »

...My character is well thought out? ...then again, i am consistant with how I do things... but well thought out happens fter i make up a dozen backstory elements.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:22 am »

It's almost 1:30 in the morning, I'll post what I have and finish the rest sometime tomorrow.

Yes:
Spoiler: Cado (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Derm (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Empiricist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mr. Void (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Unholy Pariah (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wolfchild (click to show/hide)

No:
Spoiler: Doomblade (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harbinger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scood (click to show/hide)
In the end, remember: Just because your character wasn't chosen doesn't mean you made a bad character. Heck, a lot of the final decision was based on gut instinct--which sounds like a good character? Which characters will add to a group dynamic more? Etc?

Scenario Table:
UserScenarioSuboption
dermonster2One year before Skitter makes her debut
(Doomblade187)3*Significant differences between universes
Empiricist1LA
(Harbingerjm)1Fictional city and perhaps nation
MrVoid1 or 2If 2, set in the 90s or so, alongside the first parahumans
RangerCado2?None
(Scood)2LA, around the time of the Heist
Unholy_Pariah1 or3None
wolfchild1Not America
The players submitted three votes for 1, two and a half votes for 2, and half a vote for 3. The waitlisters voted for one each, which works out well. I think the best compromise is partly between 1 and 2, ending up a lot like Doomblade's idea--more-or-less the Wormverse, but with some significant differences.
For the specifics: Not easy. One player and waitlister for LA, one player and one waitlister directly against that, nothing like a consensus on timing...let's think about that. I'd appreciate all six players to weigh in on time and place.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:57 am »

Spoiler: Harbinger (click to show/hide)
Well, I did say "improperly disposed of". Presumably some shifty Tinkerer strapped for cash and short on morals, or something like that.
Personally, I would have preferred to use a slightly different story (involving deadly, deadly neurotoxin, a ham sandwich and some lost keys), but RADIATION TRIGGER CHALLENGE! Also, I liked the power, so there was that.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:57 am »

((Sorry no time to post, still great intro))
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:49 am »

...LA heist? er... i only just got to chapter two so... i'm abstaining for now on a setting vote...

Selina was put into a nearby foster home. Her foster parents mostly ignored her except to yell at her occasionally about bad grades. Shes been going through school in an almost trance-like state. The only people who ever loved her were dead, she had lost all hope of being happy.

Selina is terrified of her powers, not using them as much as she can. If shes desperate, she uses her super speed, but shes not strong physically so she often has cramps for days after. She doesn't want to be a cape, they were always fighting, always in danger, always in pain... pain... pain... pain...

Selina is very much just trying to protect herself and someone, anyone, she could name as a friend... but she isn't sure what the point is. She has no hope, no love, no happiness... she feels nothing... nothing... nothing... pain... pain... pain...

She was running away from Emily and her cronies, they had found out about her scars, her hated scars! And were ready to take advantage of bullying her about something she had wanted to forget for the last two years. She was cornered, trapped, they were ready to torment her. And then she cracked. When she came to, they were all dead save Emily, who Selina was holding a rusted bloody knife to her throat. She stopped, dropping the knife in horrified silence before running, and running, and running. She got to a park and groans as she hid among the leaves of a dense pine tree, her legs were burning, she was a criminal... she had killed people... cut them to pieces... Emily had almost died to... She silently cried for the rest of the day.

((Thanks for the backstory boost GWG, and I hope I covered all of your points. And Emp, not a word since you can probably guess what i'm talking about))
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2013, 02:00:01 am »

I stand by my vote, and for the same reasons

also, before I post, I need to know at least the genralities of my power, at the very least how I survived the dunking (I can have them stop after I black out, but I can't see why they would once they got that far)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2013, 02:27:43 am »

Why he was chosen: Pariah's character was well-thought-out, with a unique and rather traumatic trigger event. Not to mention, he wrote a LOT about it! That shows dedication.
-snip-
Now for decisions.
1. What was Steven's response to becoming a "monster"?
2. What has Steven been doing since his trigger/transformation?
3. What does Steven hope to achieve?
4. What kind of body does Steven try to make for himself? Does he keep whatever he just "swam" through, or does he try to get himself into a specific form/appearance first?
so glad i put the effort into it instead of just expecting to be picked for bringing up the idea of playing this.

1. suffering mental break and second trigger event creating the personality listed in the character sheet then fleeing to the tunnels beneath the city.
2. hiding in the tunnels and attacking common criminals for petty cash to feed himself, slowly coming to terms with his situation or sliding off the deep end, depends on your point of view.
3. perhaps returning to some semblance of humanity and/or tearing down the cities criminal infrastructure.
4. Steven maintains a clawed but mostly human form compromised mainly of bricks or stone hidden beneath ragged clothing when unprovoked in an attempt to avoid notice but when threatened or in combat he tends to just absorb metals and other more industrial grade materials whilst allowing his body to shift into whatever shape he thinks will be most useful.
(ill try to avoid changing my form too often and generally stick to a few different combat archetypes when i do just to keep things easy for you.)

as for the setting, doomblades idea has won out so i shall defer to his judgement.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2013, 02:41:14 am »

((Was there supposed to be anything after the 'Why he was chosen'? I suspect there is judging by the hr/ line. Also, nice to see that I've set a reasonable bar for me to accidentally garrote myself on when my lack of setting knowledge comes to bite me in the backside, but hopefully I can just RP it as Brandon's indecision and whatnot :P))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:26 am »

...LA heist? er... i only just got to chapter two so... i'm abstaining for now on a setting vote...
I'm guessing that you're being confused about my description of Scood's suggestion. If so, it's referring to wanting to set it in LA, around the time of a certain bank robbery in Brockton Bay that you probably haven't gotten to.

((Thanks for the backstory boost GWG, and I hope I covered all of your points. And Emp, not a word since you can probably guess what i'm talking about))
No problem. And yeah, that looks good.

also, before I post, I need to know at least the genralities of my power, at the very least how I survived the dunking (I can have them stop after I black out, but I can't see why they would once they got that far)
I would have explained, but I hadn't figured out your power. Still haven't, actually. I've got a vague idea of the parameters, now I just need to fit them together. Or I could reroll the disadvantage or something. Hm...

((Was there supposed to be anything after the 'Why he was chosen'? I suspect there is judging by the hr/ line. Also, nice to see that I've set a reasonable bar for me to accidentally garrote myself on when my lack of setting knowledge comes to bite me in the backside, but hopefully I can just RP it as Brandon's indecision and whatnot :P))
That's where I was going to put stuff like what happened in your trigger event, a description of your power, and questions I wanted you to answer. I didn't, because even with this ~2/3-completed state, I wass till up until 1:30 am, which is not a good time to get to bed for someone who likes sleep.
Sig

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2013, 07:53:20 am »

Take your time GWG, I would rather it be good than it be fast. It's just that I can't really post till it's done
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137