Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856523 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4020 on: December 16, 2022, 04:43:42 am »

Yea it is indeed from the vanilla factions expanded: insectoids.

Vanilla expanded mod series is nice. Most are not very game changing, some are, (genetics, factions: insectoids, factions: mechanoids).

EDIT: Geeesh Randy. Really?
11 cannibal pirates raid vs 10 colonists. The pirates are all carrying sniper rifles, and they all have between 10 and 16 shooting skill. I don't use killboxes. This should be good.

... Yeah, 2 minutes and 4 instakills later, time to load an autosave.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:47:06 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: December 16, 2022, 07:37:25 am »

There's a reason I always turn off the adaptation in storyteller settings. It's basically a punishment for doing well.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: December 17, 2022, 06:57:46 pm »

Trying out Combat Extended at the moment, been having a few awkward runs, but for the most part it's pretty nice to not have to shoot a random raider 12 times to kill them.

Bugs and mechanoids feel overtuned in it though, especially the VE ones.

Currently doing a VE Pirates start with an all Saurid crew, set up my base so the turret chunk has a big line of fire along the only entrance and it's been blowing away all my enemies quite easily. It's out of bullets now though, so until I get more research done I'm down to my colonists and some starter mechs for defence.

Playing with a bunch of the Pirate curses enabled, most notably the Curse of the Blind, so I don't get letters for any events. Every raid, every caravan or manhunter and so on has no notifications of their arrival. The auto-pause function is disabled by it and my only notification for hostiles is that I have Red Alert installed so my base flushes a lovely crimson every time enemies are on the map. It's been interesting, and surprisingly not resulted in my death. Pirate storyteller is a gentle one I guess.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: December 17, 2022, 07:50:50 pm »

Get CE Guns, it adds more options for dealing with the mechanoids.

Remember, use EMP/ion rounds to stun and burn them, jellied prometheum cooks them (Slowly, use it for support rather than to kill them), M72 LAWs can kill a centipede in a single hit if it's not changed. Give everyone two smoke grenades too, they're necessary for pods because they stop turrets (Including yours, be warned) from targeting while you can still shoot through them, albeit with reduced accuracy.

AP ammo is the best basic one. It'll smash through basic mechanoid armour and regular pawn armour, while still inflicting good bleeding and general damage.

What I tend to do for loadouts is [Gun], [Ammo for gun], knife (For if the enemy gets into melee), 2-3 M72 LAWs (If their primary gun isn't too bulky or heavy), 2 smoke grenades, 3 herbal medicine (For stabilising/treating in the field, bleeding is super dangerous with CE), 1 perishable meal.

Melee gets no knife, extra smoke grenades and extra M72 LAWs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4024 on: December 19, 2022, 09:15:59 am »

I really wish CE's loadout system worked more like compositable loadout's tags so you could layer tags instead of making bespoke loadouts.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: December 21, 2022, 11:47:08 am »

Honestly a big thing for me would be persistence across saves. If I could store loadouts so I didn't have to make new ones every new game it'd be great.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: December 21, 2022, 04:53:06 pm »

I really wish CE's loadout system worked more like compositable loadout's tags so you could layer tags instead of making bespoke loadouts.

YES. I've said this in various places like a million times and even floated it on the discord once or twice and was ignored. Maybe I need to try harder, but it makes no sense to go and edit every loadout just to get people to carry some grenades and such. At the very least we need a "general" loadout applied to everyone.

Would also be cool to have an option to make loadouts additive, so I can give them guns manually (and use simple sidearms if I get really tired of them dropping the guns), and then just specify loadouts for things like special items and melee weapons.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: December 21, 2022, 11:27:37 pm »

Is this game still good on console? I know it doesn't support mods on PS or Xbox but sometimes the vanilla experience is good enough.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: December 22, 2022, 10:03:17 am »

I have no idea how the game handles with a controller but I do think the game does not need mods to be worth buying. I played... a lot of hours of vanilla before I started installing kids.
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: December 22, 2022, 10:29:56 am »

I played... a lot of hours of vanilla before I started installing kids.
Note that running Rimworld on a child is not a good idea.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: December 22, 2022, 11:34:00 am »

Is this game still good on console? I know it doesn't support mods on PS or Xbox but sometimes the vanilla experience is good enough.

There are dozens of quality of life mods. Some give you more control for managing the people/entities in a game about managing people. Some clean up the RAM usage. There are workbench order mods that add triggers and sorting. No, I would really not play without mods. Even a handful of QoL mods changes everything.

It really doesn't take long playing vanilla before you go "wait, why can't I...."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:20:02 pm by BigD145 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: December 22, 2022, 02:32:23 pm »

For a first-time play, yeah sure. The game has enough to it at the core to be interesting.

After a while, or after you've tasted the modded experience, the vanilla game looks unfinished. Quality of Life mods become essential.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: December 22, 2022, 06:31:57 pm »

Honestly if I were to pare my mods list back to the absolute minimum, I think Colony Manager is the only one that's actually kind of essential to me. I have a tendency to tab out when I don't have any actual stuff to do, and letting the game auto assign hunting and chopping for me is the main barrier between coming back to a starving colony or not.

There's a heap of other mods I like to have, quality of life and content related, but they aren't as fundamental to how I play the game as CM is.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: December 22, 2022, 06:42:19 pm »

Eh. Rimworld is perfectly fine and fun without mods for any amount of time. Mods (can) add to the experience, but it's a complete experience before the mods too.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: December 22, 2022, 08:04:19 pm »

Yeah. If my options are "play rimworld without mods on a console or play them with mods on my pc" I'm going to play with mods on my pc.

If my options are console or nothing? I'd play on console!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 280