Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856208 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3720 on: March 01, 2021, 08:41:07 pm »

You could always make a scenario that starts you with basic spacer tech level and start out in the space ship.

It's not terribly hard to get there if you focus on it, though. Multiple researchers to get the techs quick. Use a shuttle loaded with chemfuel to fly over and get the quest ship for a free ship. Empty it out and put a basic barracks/living area to keep your crew happy and fill it with heat sinks and a shield to keep it from getting blown to up before your team can capture the enemy ship. Recruit a bunch of raiders with decent shooting skill as a disposable boarding party and get them set up with decent guns and space suits. Keep your ships on the edges in case you capture something big.

Then just keep food shipments going up to them and wait for either an enemy ship to attack or for your AI core to locate an enemy ship. With no weapons, the first ship you fight is usually pretty weak. You can capture more ships and start a small fleet. Eventually the increased guns will lure in a bigger ship, or your AI core will locate some archotech ship. Only go after them if you can survive fighting a LOT of mechanoids.

I actually managed to take out the special archotech ship that gives you the technologies really early in my game by sending four boarding teams to take out the enemy railguns before they obliterated my ship and hacked the ship with the team that was facing the least resistance. I captured the ship before I even killed all the centipedes on it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: March 01, 2021, 09:16:10 pm »

When I don't want to slog through tech progression I just debug research. If the story I'm telling isn't about surviving and building from nothing I don't find myself losing out on much not waiting for research to advance.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: March 22, 2021, 01:27:05 am »

A catgirl with riding an Indoraptor while holding a soviet pistol isn't what Rimworld is about, but it's what I'm all about.

I had a request from the royals to babysit three Indoraptors, which turned out to be the best deal I've ever accepted. The things could feed themselves by killing pretty much everything in the jungle, were great mounts, and were surprisingly tame. I took care fir them for honor, but I would do it for free. For a second I was considering blowing up the shuttle and stealing the dinos.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: March 25, 2021, 12:24:45 pm »

Mannnn, I wish I had a better computer sometimes so I could really load it down with mods :P

Or at least load it down with mods AND have loads of colonists, bc the most fun I have is when I have a lot of people and can generally focus on a few while the rest are just living their best lives for the greater good of the colony.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: March 30, 2021, 10:17:21 pm »

Is it just me or is it hard-coded for summers to reach above zero degrees? Because in my propane lakes playthrough (which is suppoesed to be VERY cold) everytime summer comes the temperature rises just above zero Celsius, ruining all my food.  >:(
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:48 pm »

Is it just me or is it hard-coded for summers to reach above zero degrees? Because in my propane lakes playthrough (which is suppoesed to be VERY cold) everytime summer comes the temperature rises just above zero Celsius, ruining all my food.  >:(

If you use Realistic Planets you can reduce the axial tilt and make it so seasons barely budge the average temperature.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3726 on: April 01, 2021, 09:41:54 am »

My ice sheet starts say that no, summer is not hardcoded to reach a certain temperature. You just picked a spot that has summer above freezing I guess.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: April 01, 2021, 09:54:38 am »

I'm curious on how ice sheet starts are even possible, nowadays.  A guide I read for them was somewhat out of date and patches have apparently made it not work the same. The game ended when a particularly long period without wind made my pawn freeze to death.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3728 on: April 01, 2021, 09:55:49 am »

Something being impossible has never stopped me from trying.

So far my record is surviving 3 months.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: April 01, 2021, 10:33:16 am »

I'm curious on how ice sheet starts are even possible, nowadays.  A guide I read for them was somewhat out of date and patches have apparently made it not work the same. The game ended when a particularly long period without wind made my pawn freeze to death.

Basic gist is you find a steam geyser and build a building around it. Normally being inside of one is a death wish on other maps, but it barely makes it livable in an ice sheet.

You SHOULD start with wood if nothing else, as you can make camp fires to supplement as you try and find some steel to make stuff.

First research should be batteries if you started as anything but a tribe, otherwise just electricity.

You should have your main colonist be a cannibal tho. Food is a precious resource.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: April 01, 2021, 10:41:58 am »

How does one get steam geysers on asheet ice map? It's nothing but ice and salt water.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3731 on: April 01, 2021, 10:45:40 am »

They do spawn. They aren't required to survive though.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: April 10, 2021, 02:41:41 pm »

Just wondering, but how well do mods for 1.0 or 1.1 work with 1.2? I havent played this since 1.0, and most mods on the forum say they are for 1.0, so I was wondering if half of those mods will report me an error once I am done with downloading few dozens more...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: April 10, 2021, 05:49:35 pm »

Sometimes they do work and sometimes not. User "Mlie" updates a lot of abandoned mods. You won't know if there's an update unless you check the comments section of the original mod or do a search and see the same mod with (continued) at the end of its title.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: April 10, 2021, 07:14:48 pm »

Just wondering, but how well do mods for 1.0 or 1.1 work with 1.2? I havent played this since 1.0, and most mods on the forum say they are for 1.0, so I was wondering if half of those mods will report me an error once I am done with downloading few dozens more...
You want to use the steam workshop for rimworld mods since there are so many there, its pretty well organized and its hassle free.
The mods there typically say if they are updated for 1.2 (and many many of them are), but as BigD says sometimes you can use a mod that doesn't say 1.2 just fine.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 280