Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 834722 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3705 on: November 27, 2020, 04:30:01 pm »

Looks cool but I'll hold off until it gets some polish, my modlist is absurdly long and unstable.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: December 13, 2020, 05:30:21 am »

Hot Seat is the only mod that matters - changing story-teller every once in a while, especially with the addition of modded story tellers, fixes the core problem with Rimworld - getting bored as you wait for research to finish. Now Pheobe Chillax is a god-send of a break after Empress Evil kept everyone in the hospital for a month, but you also don't know how long that peace'll last.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: December 13, 2020, 08:45:53 am »

Oh god.

My space station just went down in a chaos that I can only describe as Space Station 13 in Rimworld.

Yes, I save scummed, but I'm till trying to process what happened  :o
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: December 13, 2020, 10:15:08 pm »

Hot Seat is the only mod that matters - changing story-teller every once in a while, especially with the addition of modded story tellers, fixes the core problem with Rimworld - getting bored as you wait for research to finish. Now Pheobe Chillax is a god-send of a break after Empress Evil kept everyone in the hospital for a month, but you also don't know how long that peace'll last.

What combination of storytellers do you use? I noticed that mod but didn't subscribe as I haven't really used custom storytellers to know which ones are good.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: December 14, 2020, 07:56:58 pm »

I'm playing the Morrowrim packs plus the Vanilla expanded factions - which adds roughly 6 storytellers, almost all being tougher than the vanilla three. The Rimsenal pack is also a good addition. The downside of having too many is they start to feel samey - especially because most storyteller mods are just "make more hard."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: December 16, 2020, 01:27:27 am »

Well, I've started playing this. Having fun so far and my settlement was going well. We had a megasloth become tame along with two donkeys, a lot of food and nice, heated and cooled rooms.

3 raiders though. I knew I shouldn't have built my settlement out of wood. Oh well, time to rebuild out of stone. At least no one died.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: December 17, 2020, 04:57:26 am »

I'm so bad at sticking to my own word. I planned to have a small herd of guars and a few nix hounds, but in the and I have:
-an ever-expanding herd of guars (MorrowRim)
-a decent-sized herd of retching netches (MorrowRim)
-a large pack of nix hounds (MorrowRim)
-a smaller pack of durzogs (MorrowRim)
-a family of ash panthers (MorrowRim)
-two whole silt striders (MorrowRim)
-a pair of alits (MorrowRim)
-a scamp (MorrowRim), our daedric mascot
-a hill troll and an ash troll (MorrowRim - trolls). Hoping to get a Udyrfrykte too
-a Uintatherium (Megafauna)
-a megalania (Megafauna)
-a Stegosaurus (Dinosauria)
The good side is that I can make my caravans as big as I need, and honor Sain Jiub by selling cliff racer leather dusters en masse (though the leather is near to worthless, better for doormats).
The bad part is that there's no kwama, shalks or ash hoppers because nix hounds exterminate them fast. At least nix oxen can't be eaten in one sitting, so there still is a reliable source of chirin.
The ugly part is that ash panthers sometimes attack netches and get brutalized by venomous tentacles, then develop immunodeficiency. Nix hounds sometimes aggro entire swarms of cliff racers, though that can be dealt with a liberal use of ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW.
The sad part is that Misao, my Oni animal trainer gets easily attached to the most inappropriate animals, such as a nix hound with no antennae or a durzog that had its ryes gouged out by a kahouti.
Still, I'm having a lot of fun with the current colony.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: December 17, 2020, 08:49:03 am »

Oh god.

You'd think trying to turn the moon into a spaceship would be a good idea.

Well, it would be, if it actually FUCK'IN WORKED. How many resources did I just waste.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: February 03, 2021, 10:08:04 pm »

Think I should clean up my modlist. My output log was 980GB.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3714 on: February 04, 2021, 08:55:40 pm »

Haha, I just had a long string of events put all my colonists unconscious in one of my colonies (solar flare + heat wave + mechanoids dropping inside my base + a big raid). I fended all the raiders off, but my last few colonists passed out from extreme heat stroke before I could get them into air conditioning.

The Man in Black event fires. He runs in to rescue the colonists. He grabs a meal on the way and eats it without a table, spots colonists left unburied, corpses of all the raiders, and snaps. Catatonic breakdown, final straw was ugly environment.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:18 am »

I thought Vegetable Garden was a massive waste of player and colonists' time. Now, when i actually wanted it, it turned out that 1.2 version is, for some reason, massively watered down and no longer contains any production chains. Blast.

Also trying out Rimworld of Magic first time. Hoo. I thought toad potion from Rim of Madness that gave increased melee damage and knockback attacks was batshit insane OP. But if you managed to prepare-embark with 2 cleaning- and hauling-capable colonists out of 5, being meguca is suffering none the less.  ::)
EDIT: Bulk trader sells skeleton lich meat.  ::) Probably from magical menagerie.
EDIT2: And one of the colonists went wild with no one to tame her, and naked bandit lighting mage one-zaps all people round about, on the right hand and on the left.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:48:28 am by MCreeper »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: February 25, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »

While not the same sort of production chain, if you're looking for more complex cooking the Vanilla Cooking Expanded mod does that somewhat through its combination of new meal types and condiment system.

And yeah, Rimworld of Magic has lots of potential OPness that's semi-balanced by having enemy mages as well. (There are also some difficult settings one can fiddle with.) That said, I like using it simply for the greater variety and that it doesn't conflict with too much. Some of the magic/fighter classes are much more OP than others.

I think liches are actually from RoM itself and not magical menagerie - the latter sticks to fantastical beasts, the former does have a necromancer crisis. (Also I'd suggest looking into one of the meat optimization mods like Optimization: Meats, which makes resource management less messy while also reducing the chances of silly meats like that.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3717 on: February 25, 2021, 06:50:50 pm »

I've started playing with Rimworld of Magic and Save our Ship 2. Space wizards!

The Shadow is a crazy powerful class. I got a team of Shadows with monoswords and boarding enemy ships with them is practically cheating. They can just blink right inside to a secure room and cut everyone apart as they come through their own doors, using shadow strike to assassinate any dangerous targets. If they start getting overwhelmed they can just blink away somewhere else, or soul walk back to my ship. If one of them gets injured, they can all shadow walk to the injured one to heal them.

I had a necromancer come to my base early on and my nearest shadow immediately used shadow strike and killed it within seconds of it coming. Poof, the entire undead army disappeared. Most anticlimactic thing ever.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: February 26, 2021, 05:45:52 am »

I really would like to play with those high-tech mods, but my colonies always die either to boredom or raiders before i can even begin doing things with them.

I picked enchanter and priest for starting mage classes, +3 magically gifted. 1 immidiately converted to wanderer, others will maybe sometime be converted to some proper mages. Wanderer rolled those three spells:
Rainmaker - stop the forest fire right fucking now.
Map teleport. Explodes with moderate strenght after 80 seconds. That probably can be used.
Hauler-minion summon. Very helpful, considering the situation. They can also serve as paper-thin meat shields.

I also have witcher contracts mod. Quest to kill hym for 63 gold showed up. I decided it isn't that much for something really dangerous, but it turned out to be basically no-pain thrumbo that gives brutal -30 mood debuff for 15 days to all survivors.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:00:36 am by MCreeper »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:12 pm »

I really would like to play with those high-tech mods, but my colonies always die either to boredom or raiders before i can even begin doing things with them.

The early game for things like Save Our Ship and SRTS is so late vanilla game that you'll never even touch it.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 278