Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856277 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3330 on: March 16, 2019, 02:54:01 pm »

On the bright side, sufficient modding can result in something similar to a total conversion. Using, say, Faction Control in conjunction with Medieval Times can result in a roughshod TC by allowing you to disable all high-tech factions. Not a true conversion, but it will all but eliminate guns and the like until you research the ability to build them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 16, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »

You can also use the custom scenario rules to turn off events relating to advanced tech, like the mechanoid attacks or space ship debris.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 16, 2019, 09:16:50 pm »

There was a mod that showed much more information on the bottom left when selecting a pawn and i cannot remember what was the name, anybody can point me in the right direction?
Do you perhaps refer to RimHUD? It's the only one that comes to mind.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 17, 2019, 06:29:35 am »

Thanks for the help lads!  8)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:41 am »

Developer worked out some kinks and now I'm really loving the prisoner arena mod.

One gets released, one has their organs harvested before they're butchered and ground up to make chemfuel. First they're stripped of their prisoner uniforms and put together in a special cell with two beds and two suits of plate armor. They have time to talk to each other, about their accomplishments, their regrets, and just generally get to know each other on the day one of them dies. The arena itself is nothing elaborate, a 5x5 sand pit ringed with sandbags which are themselves ringed with chairs for the spectators. Several racks sit outside of the arena containing matching pairs of knives, clubs, swords, and revolvers which are brought to the ring when I've decided which weapon would be the most entertaining. The sandbags were put between spectators and gladiators after two prisoners managed to miss all six shots and put three spectators in the hospital.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 25, 2019, 09:05:51 pm »

Is there a word to describe a situation where something inefficient, ugly, and temporary becomes permanent because other things have become dependent on it?
Computer science?  Engineering?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 25, 2019, 10:52:58 pm »

Is there a word to describe a situation where something inefficient, ugly, and temporary becomes permanent because other things have become dependent on it?
Computer science?  Engineering?
Marriage.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 26, 2019, 01:30:08 am »

How do I turn off/mess with the automatic "some groups will just start hating you for no reason" feature? I hate it. It doesn't make sense and it's tedious and unrewarding to fight it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: March 31, 2019, 01:34:20 am »

With a combination of Questionable Ethics, EPOE, Genetic Rim, My perfect soldier program has been completed.

I found a caravaneer with Quick Sleeper, Transhumanist, Psychopath and decided they'd be a good candidate. I arranged for an accident that would hospitalize them and took their DNA Sequence while they were unconscious then sent them on their way none the wiser. While the clone was cooking I forced a prisoner to train their combat skills up to twenty, scanned their brain, and disposed of them. At the same time a full suite of synthetic organs and advanced bionics were put together including an advanced power claw and an exoskeleton. On top of that I cooked up a thrumbo skin implant to up their durability and a set of venemous fangs just to ruin everybody's day. I stockpiled about a year's worth of luciferium and have a standing order to buy more whenever it's available and actually managed to get a set of legendary hyperweave clothes to wear under a legendary suit of power armor while she waves around a legendary charge rifle. It wasn't originally for her but she also has a Thrumbolizard to ride into battle.

Her name is Bramble, she is valued at 55k without counting the 12k worth of gear she carries. She is senselessly dangerous. I can't wait for a guy whose never held a gun before shoot her directly in the brain.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: March 31, 2019, 01:42:53 am »

What kind of lame supersoldier goes down to a brainshot? You gotta back that stuff up, man, redundancy!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 31, 2019, 07:42:16 am »

Perhaps a bit late in response, and it's not technically a full total conversion, but one of the Lord of the Rims mods (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400245220) is designed for a 'medieval only' playthrough. The mod author, Jecrell, has other accompanying mods that add some of the relevant LotR races. It's not fully comprehensive, but it is nice. And one can always combine it with some of the other race/faction mods out there that are lower-tech.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: March 31, 2019, 02:21:27 pm »

The thing I always wonder with games like this, how much do you plan ahead when it comes to construction, and how much pre-final construction do you do?  That is, do you build a bunch of cheap shacks for early stuff like dining rooms and basic housing before you start on your full compound, or do you get the most basic shit together and then let them eat off the floor until your cozy lodge is put together.  I guess I can always disassemble the shacks, but this has bugged me ever since dwarf fortress where it felt like early survival construction made my fort look ugly once it was established.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 31, 2019, 02:30:00 pm »

Oh jeeze, that's always a hassle. I always wind up building around existing structures, which makes all of my settlements (Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress alike) look like shanty towns. When the alternative is tearing down your massive stockpile or your first, far too small freezer, what else is there?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 31, 2019, 04:37:23 pm »

The thing I always wonder with games like this, how much do you plan ahead when it comes to construction, and how much pre-final construction do you do?  That is, do you build a bunch of cheap shacks for early stuff like dining rooms and basic housing before you start on your full compound, or do you get the most basic shit together and then let them eat off the floor until your cozy lodge is put together.  I guess I can always disassemble the shacks, but this has bugged me ever since dwarf fortress where it felt like early survival construction made my fort look ugly once it was established.

I generally try to build in three phases. Phase 1 is usually just a bunch of connected shacks thrown up against a rock wall, environmentally controlled to the point that nobody dies. I usually play on stupidly cold ice sheets, so that mostly means airlocks and fires. Phase 2 expands those shacks into something defensible and livable (furniture, more recreation, etc.) to support research and construction of the Phase 3 compound, which is in a separate location and built on an actual grid. Then I remove everything useful from the Phase 1-2 shack complex, fill it with traps and abandon it. The raiders burn it down eventually and then I don't need to look at it anymore.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 31, 2019, 11:19:12 pm »

I've basically done the same thing I did for Dwarf Fortress, Modular designs that can be easily repurposed. I make 13x13 buildings that can be used as is or divided into pieces.  Identify the first block and build 4 adjacent 7x7 rooms. The first one becomes a stockpile for the stuff threatening to deteriorate or be devoured other stuff gets an outdoor stockpile I'll later build a structure around. 2nd becomes the dormitory, 3rd becomes the dining area, and then the fourth becomes either a cooking space or the first individual room depending on how quick the group's construction skills are letting us expand and how quick people are threatening to lose their shit sharing a dormitory. Since the basic shape of the building is always going to be fine it's just an issue of moving furniture and workshops when I decide to repurpose space be better elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 280