Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854821 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2070 on: December 13, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »

Ok, ok, let's calm this down before we derail a little too much. We can debate digital download services in another thread but for now:

What's everyone's highly recommended mods? I'm going to start a new colony and am thinking about the "More Vanilla Turrets" mod, just because I like variety. Also, I have and can recommend "Prepare Carefully" which lets you edit your start so you can start with more colonists, supplies, weapons, etc.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: December 13, 2016, 06:55:25 pm »

In A16, how can you manage to become totally nomadic?  I want a group that just roves around stealing food.  I fear trying to get mood up, without joy objects...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: December 13, 2016, 07:08:53 pm »

In A16, how can you manage to become totally nomadic?  I want a group that just roves around stealing food.  I fear trying to get mood up, without joy objects...
Why can't you have joy objects? Pack up a chessboard, make horseshoe pegs on-site, use the drugs you steal. Chess, horseshoes, and stolen drugs are the cornerstones of joy.

Ok, ok, let's calm this down before we derail a little too much. We can debate digital download services in another thread but for now:

What's everyone's highly recommended mods? I'm going to start a new colony and am thinking about the "More Vanilla Turrets" mod, just because I like variety. Also, I have and can recommend "Prepare Carefully" which lets you edit your start so you can start with more colonists, supplies, weapons, etc.

I use tons of mods but the most vanilla friendly ones I can think of are the Allow Tool and Door Mats. The allow tool adds an area selector that unforbids items, and a button that unforbids everything on the map. Door mats are small carpet colored rectangles that clean pawns feet so the mat gets dirty but filth doesn't get tracked the whole way through your base. Both should definitely be in vanilla.

Doubleedit: Also there's a slider in the options menu that allows you to create up to five settlements. The possibilities inflame my dwarfrection.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:22:11 pm by Broseph Stalin »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2073 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:51 pm »

Just a notice to anyone playing on Steam, etc: Be sure to opt into the A15 beta if you're planning on doing a longer game, or you'll get auto-updated to A16 when it does get a full release.
Particularly critical for those of us playing RimMods :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:10 pm »

Always, ALWAYS, Combat Realism. If no other mod is present, there must still be CR.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: December 14, 2016, 01:33:35 am »

Just discovered you can now administer drugs as an operation. So if I have a colonist down I can give them a few stiff drinks to help with the pain, make sure they get their anti-disease medication, and if I'm desperate to fight off an infection I can give them luciferium. Or because I'm not a good person I can give all of my prisoners debilitating crack addictions before releasing them, give one prisoner luciferium and put him in a barrack full of his friends, or experiment on how much cocaine you can put in a terrified captive before iguanas no longer find them delicious.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2076 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:43 am »

Just discovered you can now administer drugs as an operation. So if I have a colonist down I can give them a few stiff drinks to help with the pain, make sure they get their anti-disease medication, and if I'm desperate to fight off an infection I can give them luciferium. Or because I'm not a good person I can give all of my prisoners debilitating crack addictions before releasing them, give one prisoner luciferium and put him in a barrack full of his friends, or experiment on how much cocaine you can put in a terrified captive before iguanas no longer find them delicious.
If ever there was a more relevant username/post, I've not seen it on B12.
I haven't the foggiest how you even came to decide to do those things.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:28 pm »

If ever there was a more relevant username/post, I've not seen it on B12.
I haven't the foggiest how you even came to decide to do those things.
Seems like you have not played dwarf fortress enough. Once you've played DF sufficiently, you too will develop the 'what's the most horrible thing I could possibly do with this new content' mindset.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: December 14, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »

Also, A16 is an unstable build. All the rim-peoples in it are either going to survive (and then probably get wiped out by the stable build) or die horribly to bugs, testing, or bugtesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: December 14, 2016, 02:13:53 pm »

I used the dev console to spawn in some colonists and equipment, and to test the system I decided to go full Golden Horde on a nearby town. There were 8 of them to my 6, the armed ones had survival rifles and PDW's but a couple of them seem to be incapable of violence, which I was happy to see. To see what they'd do I sent my sniper forward and had him shoot the sentry, who was downed in one shot. Nobody came to rescue him even after the sniper withdrew, which is pretty disappointing, so I sent three guys over there to capture him and bring him back to our camp. We treated him up, but the game crashed before I could try to figure out how to bring him off the map, so I'm just gonna put down kidnapping and slave raiding as a maybe. Next up is the gypsy caravan...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:16:34 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: December 14, 2016, 02:27:31 pm »

I used the dev console to spawn in some colonists and equipment, and to test the system I decided to go full Golden Horde on a nearby town. There were 8 of them to my 6, the armed ones had survival rifles and PDW's but a couple of them seem to be incapable of violence, which I was happy to see. To see what they'd do I sent my sniper forward and had him shoot the sentry, who was downed in one shot. Nobody came to rescue him even after the sniper withdrew, which is pretty disappointing, so I sent three guys over there to capture him and bring him back to our camp. We treated him up, but the game crashed before I could try to figure out how to bring him off the map, so I'm just gonna put down kidnapping and slave raiding as a maybe. Next up is the gypsy caravan...

I've already done a bit of kidnapping and slavery. When you reform your caravan to leave the map any prisoners are included in the list of things you can bring with you. Provided you can get them walking they're handy because they can help carry the stuff you're stealing from them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: December 14, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

I've been playing A16 and I'm liking what I see. I also got a random event about a friendly AI contacting me about a spaceship with its location. I kind of suck at the game, but this may be the time I finally stick with a save to try and migrate to the ship.

I wonder how viable it is to siege a settlement, rather than just a regular old raid.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: December 14, 2016, 03:12:33 pm »

Just discovered you can now administer drugs as an operation.

Hopefully your doctor won't remove the subject's pelvis by mistake if he fails that medicine roll!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: December 14, 2016, 03:57:24 pm »

I wonder how viable it is to siege a settlement, rather than just a regular old raid.
Very, they often aren't suited to the weather and they don't produce any food. In my favorite siege so far I built a generator, a mortar,  and powered a climate controlled barracks with a dining room and rec room. Hunting and foraging, even in the limited zone, was productive enough to sustain the camp. I actually realized I forgot ammo so I cannibalized some ruins and built a machine bench then turned out a few shells. Every night after the enemy fell asleep I'd fire one round just to let them know I was still there. After a shell hit the sleeping quarters dead center and killed half their men they finally tried to dig us out but they were freezing and half starved by then.

Hopefully your doctor won't remove the subject's pelvis by mistake if he fails that medicine roll!
Even by rimworld standards, accidentally mutilating someone while handing them a beer would be impressive. That's not rolling a 1 it's your dice catching on fire.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »

You may call that surgery a failure, but the surgeon calls it the most efficient way to consume beer.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 280