Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854739 times)

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1980 on: November 27, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »

Hadn't noticed this chatter.  It'll be interesting.  Is it known if we can explore into other sites, or will it mostly be a behind the scenes type of implementation?
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 27, 2016, 02:28:16 pm »

Glad to see this thread back up and running.

Is anyone playing with hardcoresk modpack? I'm dying to raids 89% of the time, mostly because they just blow up my walls while ignoring doors (even when they are open), which makes traps almost completely useless, not sure if this is an intended behavior or not. Early game has been pretty brutal so far. On my best try I barely got to gunpowder with 6 or 7 colonists, before Randy decided that it's time to throw everything he's got at me: coldsnap, meteor shower, infestation, abomination (didn't proc prior to that so I ignored the warning and got caught off-guard) and raid/siege with little to no time between them.

Also, how do you make cheese?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1982 on: November 27, 2016, 03:00:26 pm »

From milk harvested from certain creatures in a non-vanilla workshop I assume. HardcoreSK does add a *lot* of content.

For anyone that might not have noticed, a non-CCL version of Combat Realism had been released during the thread lock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 27, 2016, 03:01:42 pm »

I do find it funny that a LOT of the mod creators are stopping progress until the next update (good reason to... as well).

I will say that having skimmed through the Rimworld mods I do notice a lot of variety in what they have to offer in terms of quality and balance.

Rimworld might have restored my faith in mods because it DOES have worthwhile balanced mods that aren't trying to be special snowflakes.

And it DOES have stupid special snowflake mods that are unbalanced and dumb... And the ones that are slight fixes I never if ever deal with.

Yet why does the special snowflake mods annoy me especially? because they are popular. They are broken messes and are popular... in fact more popular then the well balanced, well made, thoughtful mods...

From milk harvested from certain creatures in a non-vanilla workshop I assume. HardcoreSK does add a *lot* of content.

For anyone that might not have noticed, a non-CCL version of Combat Realism had been released during the thread lock.

I'd LOVE combat realism if it played nice with any mod that adds weapons... (unless they updated it and somehow it does now)

And unfortunately I like Rimsenal too much to ever give it up... Because it is the only... well... series of mods that actually fills in the completely absent sci-fi element of the game.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 27, 2016, 03:06:22 pm »

Really looking forward to the new patch. My problem with Rimworld is the same as late game DF - you can basically get to a point where you're completely self sustaining and there's nothing to do other than amass extra stuff for no reason. If you turn up the difficulty with mods and whatever, it normally just makes early game really hard, but do nothing when you get to that level.

External goals/being able to take over the world would add a huge amount of extra enjoyment to the mid to late game - you'd have a reason to stockpile and keep things self sufficient.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: November 27, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »

So I just acquired this game a few days ago, I must say, I have been having a blast.

Frozen eggs still hatching is silly though, and something I hadn't accounted for. How on earth are my 6 guys supposed to butcher all those 89 emus before they eat all my food :P

Also, does anyone else think the game's dev should meet up with the factorio team and add endless map generation like factorio has (and multiplayer)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:23:40 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 27, 2016, 04:11:11 pm »

Tried the modpack before. Seems way too kitchen sink-y for me to enjoy.

That's my main gripe with modpacks. Lots of stuff that work together... but you dont necessarily like all, or even most of them.

I prefer to pick my mods one by one and hope for the best.

Prepare carefully's a must though.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 27, 2016, 04:29:04 pm »

I don't use Prepare Carefully myself because it feels like one of the most OP mods out there. I'm not going to judge anyone who uses it, but it feels like using it just eliminates part of the "fun" of Rimworld - of dealing with what you get at the start instead of min-maxing your colonists.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 27, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »

I like it for setting up specific scenarios. Like my Pirate colony.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 27, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »

I like it for setting up specific scenarios. Like my Pirate colony.
Love it too, for preparing my initial colonists to how I want them rather than 'random people I may be disconnected with due to jumbled traits'.

Although I've been experiencing a difficulty proportion rise x_x I think it's based on scenario editing starting researches--bandits galore in just 10 days+! Just because I wanted to set 'bionics' to learned :v
Really wonder how the difficulty scaling is. :-[

Also another thing: Finally reached Ship design! :D ...I was surprised that it was a literal skeleton build that could win, although it's probably a prototype placeholder for future design. And then disappointed when the stockpiles and flooring/walls were left behind, with the outer shell being fully stripped away. That gave a very funny image...if not for the -30C cold and snow rushing in ._.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:56:20 pm by Tiruin »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: November 27, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »

Yes, the spaceship is built more like the ISS, spindly and thin, rather than the bulky ships we usually think of.  But there's no reason for it to be big.  It's just cryo pods, no one's walking, and if the pods are shielded from radiation then there's no need for extra hull.

There's a few mods for extra ship parts, which are interesting but not important.  Things like hull plates and slopes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: November 27, 2016, 08:54:40 pm »

I don't use Prepare Carefully myself because it feels like one of the most OP mods out there. I'm not going to judge anyone who uses it, but it feels like using it just eliminates part of the "fun" of Rimworld - of dealing with what you get at the start instead of min-maxing your colonists.

It is just too annoying to randomize again and again until I get a halfway workable team.

I have lost because I was too sturborn to keep randomizing and prompty was killed because I had a pacifist team and that Iguana was particularly hungry that day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: November 27, 2016, 09:17:17 pm »

So, with the advance into armies/raiding I'm hoping to set up some type of large-scale production of quality gear.  I'll most definitely be using those 'mine for infinite resources' drills and building some production rooms for things like charge rifles and power armor, or simply longswords and armor vests.  Anyone have advice on how to build rooms/setups to produce gear?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 27, 2016, 09:40:31 pm »

Sadly, the deep drills aren't infinite. They do deplete the deposits.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »

I'd LOVE combat realism if it played nice with any mod that adds weapons... (unless they updated it and somehow it does now)

And unfortunately I like Rimsenal too much to ever give it up... Because it is the only... well... series of mods that actually fills in the completely absent sci-fi element of the game.
Can we get a link to the CCL-free CR? I missed playing rimworld.

Sadly, CR requires guns to use ammunition, which is what breaks most gun mods. You could probally make it so that the Rimsenal guns use some sorta round fairly easily*, and go with that.

*theoretical. Aseaheru is not a coder, and is guessing on the assumption that you could copy-paste some stuff and edit one or three things

-edit-

Linky to CCL free CR. Which has apparently been out for two weeks. Two. Weeks.
* Aseaheru is unsure if they should cry over missing out on it for two weeks or being happy at being able to play alpha 15 with it
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:29:42 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 280