Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854712 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1965 on: November 03, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »

I don't really care about bi people.  I just care about one person.  Min.  She can't do ANYTHING but she keeps showing up.  Eating all my food...  Freakin' pop idols...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: November 03, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »

Being an 'escaped lunatic' is based on number of posts, and you've posted (at this point) 8 posts in the last 6 years.  Half of which are today.

And? I didn't just join the forum. I've been here over six years If I include lurking. I made a handful of posts when I felt like it, and today I decided to post again. I see this stuff going on this thread, rps and other places all the time, i'm getting sick and tired of it, it never ends, everyone is offended, anyone who makes what may be a mistake or whatever is put on a bloody cross, people making constant assumptions about others, its all making me sick.

I tried being reasonable and pointing people to the reddit thread, and tried pointing out the dev never said bi men don't exist, but no one was interested. Besides I made a point, bi and homosexuals aren't the only ones being excluded or misrepresented. Human psychology is big complected diverse thing.

If you care about bi and homosexuals what about others?

Oh please, you wrote a cookie cutter let's-dismiss-concerns-about-representing-women-or-alternative-sexualities-by-shrieking-about-the-mythical-animalkkins.  Don't act all responsible now.

Nice to see this old thread is still going :)

Just to add a bit of info to the discussion, I posted a piece of text on Reddit with some more information about the current situation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/

Still doubling down on "but my biases are science, also it's all just alpha stuff, not important" line of argument. Still incredibly unconvincing.

For all the generic "but cannibalism/ultra-violence!" derails.  Cannibalism and ultra-violence is neat and funny in this and all games, because it is super-duper not real for any of us, if any of us did deal with cannibalism as a real issue, it wouldn't be neat or funny.

People do really deal with sexism and homophobia, they are very, very real, and cause very real problems, and conflating the two to make some point about lesser evils is ludicrous.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:25:51 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 26, 2016, 03:43:23 pm »

Nice to see this old thread is still going :)

Just to add a bit of info to the discussion, I posted a piece of text on Reddit with some more information about the current situation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/
Wow, i'm sorry to learn the gender-police bullied you into writing this explanation of internal modeling that has no influence on general player experience.
Especially considering the huge diversity already implemented.

Some people really have lost the ability to have fun.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:46:40 pm by Lord Snow »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: November 26, 2016, 04:40:17 pm »

This threads been locked for what, three weeks, and the second its unlocked someone tries to start up the same shit again. Great.

When does the next update come out? I've been considering getting back into this, but I might wait if an update's somewhat soon.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 26, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »

As far as I know, no ETA has been put out.  From the forums, A16 has just entered internal testing, but there's still no concrete ETA on release, and indeed, there's even explicit mention that there's no ETA for release.  Which, of course, means folks are getting hyped over a December release. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 26, 2016, 04:49:53 pm »

Yeah lets leave that old conversation behind... >_<

Anyhow there is no ETA on the next update... I am already dreading updating my mods folder.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 26, 2016, 05:21:47 pm »

Minor complaint: I bought rimworld before Steam, and activated my Steam version recently, because it's easier to use mods with it.

However, Steam Rimworld is completely reliant on the Steam client, to the point that it requires to use steam to work at all, and when offline it works badly (particularily mod-wise). Hence I've moved back to the standard version of the game

Could this dependency be eased up and have the steam version be more like the other version of the game?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 26, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »

So, iguanas are fantastic. They eat meat, lay eggs, and can survive at freezing temperatures indefinitely. If you put them in a corpse freezer they can live off of sieges, destroying the clothing as they eat, easing your cleanup woes. When you have too many to keep slaughter a few for meat and leather and start collecting the eggs. Turn those useless dead human beings with families into tasty meals and hats, best animal.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: November 26, 2016, 06:08:52 pm »

So has anyone seen the teasers for the upcoming update?

According to the dev, it's the largest update yet. The teaser screenshots indicate being able to conduct operations on the overworld and establish new colonies without abandoning your old one/seeing the tribals, raiders, and towns on the map/doing trade things.
It's kind of hard to describe but it looks awesome.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 26, 2016, 06:13:44 pm »

That's so awesome I kind of want to puke. My only concern is that it might delay CCL even longer than the last one so the era of the CCL-free largely incompatible mods might be here for a while.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 26, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

Yeah, mods will probably be broken for a long time after this. But it does add some good base-game layer stuff from the sounds of it that goes beyond what mods could do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 26, 2016, 06:22:12 pm »

CCL?

Is that something that will make mods no longer break or something?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 26, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »

CCL?

Is that something that will make mods no longer break or something?

It's the Community Core Library, It basically makes it so mods don't screw each other over and can work together for the betterment and judging by the landmines and barbwire murdering of humanity.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »

That patch i tell you... i find this patch has pretty much the same impact as when DF got Z levels.... Gamechanging patch.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 27, 2016, 11:16:12 am »

So has anyone seen the teasers for the upcoming update?

According to the dev, it's the largest update yet. The teaser screenshots indicate being able to conduct operations on the overworld and establish new colonies without abandoning your old one/seeing the tribals, raiders, and towns on the map/doing trade things.
It's kind of hard to describe but it looks awesome.
There was alot of talk prior to the RPS article gubbins.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 280