Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854564 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1845 on: October 04, 2016, 03:51:24 pm »

Short answer(s): Yes. And yes.

Long answer: there's no reason the game would overwrite older saves without your knowledge, each save is independent of each other. Disabling a mod is the same as not having it installed in the first place, so it shouldn't matter if you're playing an old save without mods and you disable all mods.
Provided that you restart Rimworld after disabling mods. As per the in-game info, some data structures can't be unloaded by just disabling them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 04, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »

Had an neat thing happen in my latest colony.

So, bit of backstory, the colony is a new one I made designed to be more a colony-sim than a 'watch everything go wrong' sim. So I made a nice easy scenario with 8 colonists for the start. A bit of randomness gave me an inspiration, since we had one male Pirate Captain and a bunch of women I decided it was him retiring after a few years of successful plundering. The rest of the colonists are mostly drifters, renegades, and the like.

Anyway, after a few seasons he ended up in a relationship with the only other proper Pirate in the group. Then, right before I quit out last time, the two of them were doing shooting practice together and chatting, which I thought was an appropriate pirate date. Moments later I get a pop up that he'd proposed and the two are now engaged. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 04, 2016, 06:46:54 pm »

Short answer(s): Yes. And yes.

Long answer: there's no reason the game would overwrite older saves without your knowledge, each save is independent of each other. Disabling a mod is the same as not having it installed in the first place, so it shouldn't matter if you're playing an old save without mods and you disable all mods.
Provided that you restart Rimworld after disabling mods. As per the in-game info, some data structures can't be unloaded by just disabling them.

Sure, that's always good. Same thing when enabling them probably, I've had some weird behavior when I didn't.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: October 05, 2016, 01:03:27 am »

Had an neat thing happen in my latest colony.

So, bit of backstory, the colony is a new one I made designed to be more a colony-sim than a 'watch everything go wrong' sim. So I made a nice easy scenario with 8 colonists for the start. A bit of randomness gave me an inspiration, since we had one male Pirate Captain and a bunch of women I decided it was him retiring after a few years of successful plundering. The rest of the colonists are mostly drifters, renegades, and the like.

Anyway, after a few seasons he ended up in a relationship with the only other proper Pirate in the group. Then, right before I quit out last time, the two of them were doing shooting practice together and chatting, which I thought was an appropriate pirate date. Moments later I get a pop up that he'd proposed and the two are now engaged. :)

"If I hit this target, you marry me."

"Done. If you miss, though, you owe me a bottle of Jack."

"Aww. Is that all my heart is worth to you?" *Crack* *Ping*

"...Damn. I was really looking forward to that bottle."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 07, 2016, 08:37:59 am »

I am not sure what happend, but a few months ago about 80 Corbas hatched at once. They are eating everything, including bodys with there clothing - which is fine, for cleanup and stuff. I specifically made a little hut outside my main outpost so they can chill there and die to raiders, but they just don't care. Sometimes I slaughter 10-20, but it has already become out of control a while ago... and now half of them are pets of some snake-masters... and the pets are all eating each other... good times.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: October 07, 2016, 12:54:07 pm »

I am not sure what happend, but a few months ago about 80 Corbas hatched at once. They are eating everything, including bodys with there clothing - which is fine, for cleanup and stuff. I specifically made a little hut outside my main outpost so they can chill there and die to raiders, but they just don't care. Sometimes I slaughter 10-20, but it has already become out of control a while ago... and now half of them are pets of some snake-masters... and the pets are all eating each other... good times.

Burn it. Burn it all.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 08, 2016, 02:30:35 am »

Aww, that's sweet! :)

...Now to wait for the inevitable demise of one of them. Seriously, in my colony lovebirds seem to be the most high-risk colonists.
The last guy I posted about dying was a tribal recruit who had risen from a lowly start as my designated cleaner to become one of my most valued colonists, and eventually had fallen in love with the slave I bought from a caravan many years ago. He'd rebuffed her recent marriage proposal, though... maybe he somehow knew his days were numbered?
Just now, too, the man of the oldest couple in my colony died. He was supposed to be resting in the hospital whilst his infected wounds were receiving treatment, but he got upset and decided to go on a drug binge instead. To try and save his life, I had someone attempt to arrest him-- he stabbed the poor guy repeatedly, including twice in the head, and then, before a gun-toting colonist could get there to put this bastard out of his misery, he attacked a fox and was killed by it. O.o

So now his wife, who is also in hospital with infected wounds after the recent boomrat attack, has that bombshell to deal with on top of all our other troubles. Lovely. Oh, and one of my most-skilled doctors was wounded (and infected) during said attack as well.
I had him resting furiously to try and get better, but at some point I lost track of him and he was off doing stupid shit like tending to wounded critters and playing pool while his treatment was overdue.

I ordered him back to bed and stationed my second-best medic in the infirmary. I was worried, since his infection was listed as "extreme".
'Twas a tense moment as I watched him hop back into the hospital bed whilst the backup doctor rushed back over there- when suddenly I saw him get back out of bed again before I could set her priority to treating him. I had a "WTF" moment as I clicked on him and saw he was off to play more pool- then I looked at his health screen and saw the words, "developed immunity".

Made for a funny mental image, this sickly-looking guy with a horrible infection crawling up from his left arm, suddenly just jumping up and marching out of the hospital waving concerned onlookers away, saying, "No, I'm fine, don't worry about me, I've developed immunity! Trust me, I'm a doctor," as he runs off back to the pool hall. :P

Here I was thinking I was gonna start running low on empty graves.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: October 09, 2016, 03:29:50 pm »

Life in the Arctic; or How to Grow Crops at -65C:
So I recently started a colony at the far north of a planet, in a mountainous region where temperatures hit a scorching 0C in the summer and a pleasant -67C in the winter. Here are some notes from this effort:
mods used: Rimsenal, using their custom storyteller that sends lots of raids instead of small annoyances
Synthmeat, grow meat from plants
Tilled Soil, adding the ability to change tile or smooth stone floors to soil and the ability to change soil to tilled soil, giving 200% fertility (so faster plant growth). THIS MOD IS VERY HELPFUL FOR THIS.
And a few others that are largely irrelevant to living in this biome.

First, set up a moderately large shelter in a crevasse in a mountain with a geyser. Geysers help a lot early on for heat and later for power. If I had to do it again, I would have opted for a smaller initial space away from mountains, for reasons detailed in the Temperate Observations later. Temperatures were high enough to start growing in spring/summer after the initial space was set up. However, due to dropping off rapid after summer, plant life failed to live until the next year. Much cannibalism was had. During the remainder of the first year, I set to work digging and constructing additional layers of walls in order to reduce temperature gradients and insulate the central structure from the winter temperatures. By year 2's winter, temperatures of 22C could be maintained year round in the central growing area, and food was plentiful.

Temperature Observations:
Note: these observations were made on *ultra cold* map; as such, assumptions about *ultra hot* maps may be invalid.
1. Mountains overhead will *reduce* indoor temperature to 17C, but will not *increase* temperature to 17C.
2. Unobserved terrain walls are essentially treated as outdoor space, and any rooms bordering them will equalize temperature accordingly. Deep in the mountain, if it's -67C outside, your rooms inside will be exchanging temperature with this anywhere the terrain is unobserved.
3. Closed doors transfer significantly more heat than walls (open doors of course transfer enormous amounts of heat, but why would you want that)
4. Contrary to some rumors of the effect being broken at some nebulous point in the past, double walls are in fact very effective insulators.
5. Not explicitly temperature related, but Rimworld appears to have axial tilt. In the summer at the poles, you get some daylight all day, and in the winter, you will go more or less without any. Solar panels are thus the exact opposite of what you need for heating.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:11 pm »

@alway  Interesting.  I never was certain how well insulation worked, and the supposed axial tilt never has factored in for me. 

@Yoink Yeah, it's always concerning especially when colonists start hopping into Extreme infections.  I've found that if you are consistently treating them, a mighty challenge, even with herbal medicines, if you can get them to about 80% immunity, they will most likely live.  Diseases play by different rules, and I wish there were more ways to treat it cause I lost a good builder when he caught the plague.  I threw him into Cryostatis (naturally found when a bug hive drilled into it, and some mechanoids and bugs had a duel,) and he promptly died no long after since my doctors were overworked when everything went to hell a season or so back.  But thanks to innumerable scum saves, I have 20 colonists (currently.) 

Another interesting story, I had a rampant bug hive in a little hillside mine.  I couldn't get rid of it because my colonists were ill equipped and I didn't want to sacrifice them.  A multitude of scum saves later, I've seen the hive kill an entire tribal attack, defeat a handful of mechanoids that dropped in, and kill themselves repeatedly.  I never heard the end of the "a roof has collapsed!" The entire mountain ended up repeatedly collapsing on the now innumerable bodies, deceased tribal warriors from enemy and allied clans, hives, and the bugs themselves. 

It finally ended when I cold snap kicked in, and, I think, the hives died.  Immediately after, a cry for help was issued and a colonist was taken in as pirates pursued them.  Then, I notice the colonist arrived near where the hive was.  And then the pirates came.  I figure it meant more weapons rotting away cause I couldn't retrieve them.  Wrong.  They brought charge rifles.  Poor quality rifles, but rifles none the less.  While they rushed forward, they killed almost the entire remaining population of bugs while only losing a handful of pirates.  Then... they got bored and left.  I was stunned, and frankly, I was leaping for joy, (and the save button.) They had done more than any effort by any lazy tribe that presumed to offer support against mechanoids with wooden shivs and pistols. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #1854 on: October 21, 2016, 11:04:05 am »

Just waiting for this thing to go on sale, just waiting, waiting waiting.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 21, 2016, 12:00:21 pm »

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/wait?plain=rimworld subscribe and forget

Valdus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Scrawls"
« Reply #1856 on: October 21, 2016, 12:05:06 pm »

Already done; but thanks

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 21, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »

It's gonna be a long, long wait.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 22, 2016, 02:00:31 am »

I've been playing this thanks to a friend and it has the biggest aspect I find fun with DF--small-scale colony management \o/ ...That and I've modified the ranged speed/aiming speed to be 50% of its original (because ranged weapons + run speed right now is like = wow one volley and they're all on me), and a few nice mods help out a ton.

And my first and still-thriving colony (nearing the spaceship I've no idea how to build, modded in research level upgrades [so I can finally hit Spacer tech]) is located in a vale in the mountain (I named it Vale! :D). One way in, no way out, best for handling epic battles.
And I downloaded the Rimsenal AI mod! Hildegarde Epic is so fun! (Although I can't compare--I never tried the basic 3 AIs >_>)

Although I like how few things aren't mentioned that directly. Like, there's a difference between frozen food and food-exposed-to-warmth, but I can keep my chickens safely at a "1C" temperature while keeping whatever they feed on at an extended-but-not-frozen lifespan due to how close 1 Celsius is to the 0C frozen marker.

That, and anatomy knowledge. At least I know where the Radius/Fibula are to replace the whole thing! Thank mods for specific bionics/prosthetics! (I seriously wish there was some way to deal with Pirates however. I can't be nice and 'release' them because it does nothing! But I do it anyway :I Unlike hostile tribes, where you get a relation bonus for releasing them nicely. Although buying them off works...)

It's gonna be a long, long wait.
Until the usual International Holidays? :O I'd really love to get this game. Savings \o/

Regarding my first colony, I thought it was a bug at first because my drop pods landed...within the mountain (or "unknown area"), until I guessed 'well I guess I'm stuck in stone but my girls are moving so...dig out?'; one dug tile later, I'm in a whole new enclosed area. Huzzah terrain advantage!

...On that note, I do recall that Seeds are saved along with the specifics of the map. I wonder if I can exactly give the coordinates to others here to try :3 I do know that they are static however in the same seed, so that's a very nice thing for sharing or replaying.
(do they differentiate according to the world expanse? Like, 200x150 is different from the other settings when generating a world+seed?)

On questions, does anyone know how to exactly specifically pick out one item versus another in a pile for the electric smelter or other 'deconstructing' workshops? I've a list of items I would like to smelt but compared to others in the same category, it really is tedious adjusting the bill every single time to ensure that the colonist doesn't snatch the thing I do not want snatched but technically within the same category. :I
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:04:29 am by Tiruin »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 22, 2016, 02:09:26 am »

I think it's policy. There haven't been any sales, ever. :P

I thought it was money well spent in any case. A sale could maybe save you a candy bar.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 280