Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854217 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1620 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:17 am »

Yeah there's a random chance of anything you are hunting to go berserk.  Also, all the infections were probably because where they were waiting to be rescued or the hospital itself was very filthy since I'm pretty sure dirt around patients increases infection chance.

Hmm, could be an issue with the hospital being clean. We had a lot of blood everywhere from a recent raid and it was taking a while to clean up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 19, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »

Do you consider this a fully playable complete game? I know its still early access, but do you get the feeling of a complete game?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 19, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »

It is, and with the extent of dedication the modding community has I'd say it's got significantly more replay-ability than a lot of games that are out there these days.

For reference, a thing this gets compared to a lot (aside from dwarf fortress) is prison architect I find (mostly due to the art style) and while I enjoyed that game I played maybe... 15 hours of it before I considered it done.  This game so far I have 300+ AT LEAST hours in and counting.  It's the sort of game that I bought into a year and a half ago and still play 2-3 times a week.
Nom nom nom

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 19, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »

What are key features that are missing from Rimworld?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 19, 2016, 01:38:14 pm »

Um missing key features?  I think he's got everything he set out to do but it's still considered an alpha since he does massive changes every month or two.... one thing in the pipeworks is colonist pregnancy and children.  There's no adventure style mode like in dwarf fortress and I don't think there's plans for it (don't think it'd work too great myself) and you can't expand your colony outside of the starting area (same as dwarf fortress at the moment.)

There's no Z-levels but I kinda think the game would suffer a bit if it had it, though who knows maybe they'll be added in eventually and be good.

I guess it depends on what you consider key features really, if you ask me there's no key features missing imo.
Nom nom nom

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40:54 pm »

The only missing feature I can think of is that some of the keyboard shortcuts don't work yet.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 19, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »

Oh yeah true, I use mouse only due to being used to that from early alphas that didn't even have shortcuts.
Nom nom nom

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:23 pm »

What are key features that are missing from Rimworld?

Yeah, I don't know of any key features that I'd say are missing. Lots of little stuff that could be done, certainly, but all the big stuff is in place.

AI would probably be my biggest issue. It's not bad, really, but there is a ton of stuff that just doesn't happen the way you'd expect. Like pirates ignoring useful loot in order to smash all your potted plants.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 19, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »

That's been getting better though in current releases.  Though it depends on the siege type, sometimes they'll rob you blind or abduct people and am-scram or be totally set on knocking everything down and watching the world burn.
Nom nom nom

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:43 pm »

There's no adventure style mode like in dwarf fortress and I don't think there's plans for it (don't think it'd work too great myself)

I thought this as well, but I think the dev said he might consider adding adventurer mode during a Reddit AMA he held.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:19 pm »

Anyone know if there is a way to get people to pick up a crafting job that was left unfinished by another person? I had my main crafter die in one colony and there were a few unfinished items lying around that were apparently untouchable by anyone else so they just sat in my stockpiles being useless.
Come play Mafia with us!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 19, 2016, 05:37:29 pm »

They wont finish someone elses job, sorry.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 19, 2016, 05:52:10 pm »

you can cancel half finished jobs after clicking on the item to get the resources back.
Nom nom nom

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 19, 2016, 05:52:31 pm »

Just picked this game up, having a lot of fun. Not used to a DF-style game that actually poses a challenge, although I imagine as I understand whats going on it'll become tamer.

First two colonies were lost to friendly fire - it's really frustrating that your colonists won't put in effort to reposition & avoid blowing each others' brains out. The third was a tribe, which I lost to a combination of a rampaging thrumbo and raids. Just so happens that the sole survivor was a pyromaniac, who was content to watch the entire colony burn down around him as he played horse shoes. A cold break happened and he froze to death in a makeshift hut I built for him, unable to cut down any of the cacti to start a fire with.

I wish I could "force" colonists to do jobs that they are incapable of doing, even if it gives a huge mood malus & takes ages. The idea that someone would rather die than break a cactus is kind of loony.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 19, 2016, 05:53:44 pm »

Between prioritizing tasks and downloading the mod that makes EVERYONE able to haul and clean you should be mostly set.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 280