Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854219 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1575 on: August 15, 2016, 04:48:45 am »

Yeah it's a little too easy for colonists to go into full mental break at the moment. In my recent colony I have a guy who was friends with, and was the dad of another colonist. Those add up, so now he's got a constant -35 before all the other modifiers - literally anything else bad puts him into a break.

As something that did help, I'd make sure that everyone cleans and put their priority (in the work tab) up to 2. This means they'll tend to clean before they do other tasks, and places being clean always helps (just make sure to manage your 'home' zone.
I'd also think about getting some comfy chairs and making some small sculptures - they add quite big bonuses to the room value and they're cheap to make.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 15, 2016, 06:09:23 am »

How much does the quality matter for those, then?  Does it need a dedicated Art Guy/Whatever Skill Furniture Uses Guy to make sculptures and chairs good enough to help?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 15, 2016, 09:30:29 am »

The 1x3 sleep capsule is fine, so is a crappy wooden table and stool to eat off of. Early on stacking good thoughts is pretty hard, hard enough to not be worthwhile. What you're focused on is stopping the "shared room" "slept outside" "slept on ground" and "ate without table" debuffs the first day. If you get a couple of those and your colonist happens to have an irritating scar, a negative personality trait, or just gets into a bad mood then it's really hard to stop the cascade.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 15, 2016, 09:59:57 am »

Theres a more realistic moods mod which is great, as they'll still freak out after the shit hits the fan, but having a normal room won't send them into a hissy fit.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 15, 2016, 11:33:17 am »

here, have a look at this modpack, doens't change vanilla much but tones down berserkering http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736267157

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 15, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »

First colonist death this morning as the Dickerson's Pass Militia had to clear out an giant insect infestation from the bank (which was fully operational but not open yet, as we didn't have a suitable "banker". Vault still stored all of the Colony's money though. The bugs had set up a hive right in the vault itself.) Grump, our #1 negotiator and and part-time militiaman led the attack. After the militia "stacked up" on the doors to the vault Grump kicked them in and met a Megaspider face to face. Though he discharged multiple shotgun rounds into the insectoid horde, he was impaled by the largest, the Megapsider. The militia proceeded to put up a wall of lead, pulping the insects which had gotten mostly stuck on the barricading corpse of Grump. He will be remembered fondly, and his only surviving family, his daughter Elsie Brennan, will hold a service near her animal farm later this week.

In other news, an inn is under construction, to be taken over by the recently arrived former sex slave, Emmie, who has delightfully agreed to run the inn.

A hospital is also under construction, but both projects have been delayed while the colonists rest out a plague on the Dickerson Ranch.

I love this game.

EDIT: Also a Scyther thought he was all that and rolled up to my colony thinking he was gonna harvest some colonist organs or some shit. Well he got half way down the narrow corridor-entrance leading to the Dickerson ranch before four militiamen rolled up on his metallic ass with shotguns. He took aim with his death gun or whatever, but got torn up by a literal hail of pellets. The militia spent the better part of a few hours pumping shotgun pellets into the creature to make sure it was dead.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:56:23 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 15, 2016, 02:38:10 pm »

The militia spent the better part of a few hours pumping shotgun pellets into the creature to make sure it was dead.
If you have a downed but still alive mechanoid, you can add a bill to have a colonist shut them down, instantly killing them. Much faster than pumping bullets into it, although I suppose the latter also trains shooting so there's that.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »

Ya, I learned about that after the fact. But oh well, they're farmers, and superstitious.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 16, 2016, 08:47:48 am »

I thought that constantly abandoning and starting new forts was my playstyle and to an extent it is- I have over a hundred saves I'll never go back to- but I still have two or three colonies that are very old that I keep going back to. I realized that the reason I never stick with anything in Dwarf Fortress is that by the time a fort gets interesting I'm playing at 7fps.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 16, 2016, 10:25:22 am »

The only thing I wish you could do was have more of an economy element with shops and banks and etc.

It be great if you could decentralize trading by setting up shops and having visitors buy/sell things. IDK, just an idea.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 16, 2016, 10:28:40 am »

The only thing I wish you could do was have more of an economy element with shops and banks and etc.

It be great if you could decentralize trading by setting up shops and having visitors buy/sell things. IDK, just an idea.
Or at least charging them for all the damn beer they drink. If travellers settled their tab for room and board I'd get a lot less pissed at them. Hospitality helps a bit. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 16, 2016, 03:57:58 pm »

Ok after using it extensively... I am starting to wonder what is so good about the Glittertech mod.

In that... everything requires so many resources that it is basically impossible to manufacture.

You can only buy it, and finding enough titanium and magnetic coils is nearly impossible...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:01:08 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 16, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »

Ok after using it extensively... I am starting to wonder what is so good about the Glittertech mod.

In that... everything requires so many resources that it is basically impossible to manufacture.

You can only buy it, and finding enough titanium and magnetic coils is nearly impossible...

I think that part of it is that it's really late end-game stuff that's very powerful and rare, and the other part is that you would start with a lot of materials as a sort of glitter world outpost or something.

Also the surgery and stuff is great. I'm currently building a "MegaCorp" clinic in the colony town to turn a "profit" off of all the colonists with missing organs and limbs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 16, 2016, 04:51:50 pm »

I'd totally use the Surgery and stuff... but Titanium is SUPER DUPER RARE! Magnetic Coils requires a LOT of titanium.

I'd be scared I'd just be attacked by excessive costs. Unless by some mercy they don't require titanium.

Glittertech is so far the only mod I've experienced where you need to balance it out with other mods.

I think that part of it is that it's really late end-game stuff that's very powerful and rare

That is certainly the appeal, but goodness does it take some doing to achieve even the slightest bit.

It makes it kind of funny so to speak in that you can MORE then research anything before you get any resources.

Maybe I have to melt down commando stuff... but honestly... The rarity and excessive costs of everything in Glittertech is a minor complaint for me.

The Commandos are my big issue... Everything needs slight adjustments. Commandos gotta go! But I'll save the speech.

---

Does Glittertech feature organ and brain stuff?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 17, 2016, 05:39:10 am »

Yah didn't have fun with Glittertech, installed a bunch of mods but  that one was the first to be removed after a commando raid very early into my colony just ended it all :/
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 280