Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854282 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1530 on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:12 pm »

You act like it's a zero-sum game.  People can enjoy multiple things, and some people into one thing may not be into other things.  Getting more people into basebuilders is good.  Maybe they'll try rimworld and then go more 'hardcore' into DF.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 02, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »

... Yeah, uh... I honestly don't even like comparing DF and Rimworld. They feel way too different.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:10 pm »

They kinda are very different, but people compare them because the Rimworld dev flat out said he's taken a lot of inspiration from dwarf fortress.  That and there's not a huge amount in the genre to go off of.
Nom nom nom

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 02, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

Hey, sorry I never even thought of updating the OP. Updated now.

I am around, though! Now and then. Usually just lurking.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:39 pm »

Hey, sorry I never even thought of updating the OP. Updated now.

I am around, though! Now and then. Usually just lurking.

Given a choice between you lurking on here or working on Rimworld, I know which I'd prefer. I kid. What you do with your fifteen minutes of recreation time a day is your own affair.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 02, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »

But if it happened to be rimworld for ipad that'd be great.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1536 on: August 02, 2016, 05:58:20 pm »

But if it happened to be rimworld for ipad that'd be great.
Oh man if I could play Rimworld on my android tablet that would be the best. I sometimes do a lot of travel and that would be an ideal game to run through

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 02, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »

Oh man if I could play Rimworld on my android tablet that would be the best. I sometimes do a lot of travel and that would be an ideal game to run through
Occasionally I'll use the remote desktop app to play. The delay is obnoxious and the controls are awkward but I assume if I had no other option I'd get used to it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1538 on: August 02, 2016, 06:44:54 pm »

Occasionally I'll use the remote desktop app to play. The delay is obnoxious and the controls are awkward but I assume if I had no other option I'd get used to it.
Yeah I've done it using RDP but it's not much fun

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 02, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »

Try Splashtop. No lag in local network, and very tolerable if your internet connection is good.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1540 on: August 02, 2016, 08:18:39 pm »

Try Splashtop. No lag in local network, and very tolerable if your internet connection is good.
Its less the lag and more the controls, which are not all that tablet/touch friendly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 02, 2016, 10:02:25 pm »

To be honest im not even sure if the OP remains in contact with reading these, though the last small notice was in April (so sort of recent) but they've never strayed or engaged anywhere else in the DF forum to engage with the community generally. Just talking about Rimworld here. Kind of rude.

In all fairness while its great that we can talk to the horses mouth, its not appropriate for a competitive game dev to shill their game on another forum. Leave the open-minded discussion of other games to the players i guess.

@Broseph Stalin - "Id do anything for love, but im not doing that" (Meatloaf)
Please don't. There are plenty of people who come here to shill shitty games, this ain't one of them. It's relevant to our interests and a lot more convenient than registering for another game forum that we'll never actually visit. Especially because he first posted before the game was even available, specifically looking for more direct feedback about the direction he was taking. S'good stuff when it's not one of those "lol imma literally clone DF" folks that show up occasionally.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 03, 2016, 01:48:47 am »

To be honest im not even sure if the OP remains in contact with reading these, though the last small notice was in April (so sort of recent) but they've never strayed or engaged anywhere else in the DF forum to engage with the community generally. Just talking about Rimworld here. Kind of rude.

In all fairness while its great that we can talk to the horses mouth, its not appropriate for a competitive game dev to shill their game on another forum. Leave the open-minded discussion of other games to the players i guess.

Whilst I get as annoyed as anyone about game devs coming on and 'engaging with the community' whereas really they just do the original post and then are never heard of again (except when there's new DLC of course) - this isn't one of them. OP was pretty responsive early on, and as Dice says, it's a game directly relevant to our interests.

Now that the game is in full release I can't imagine they get a lot of spare time to chat about the random rubbish we come up with here.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 03, 2016, 10:54:58 am »

The initial response, really depends on how the dev words their pitch. 
Though there are always people on this forum who's go-to response is sod off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 03, 2016, 01:12:06 pm »

Playing around with my prison design, right now I have a bunch of beds in a nook and a communal space with a table and chairs and externally fed nutrient dispenser. I took care to The nutrient dispenser had it's four hoppers loaded with potatoes, rice, corn, and meat to ensure the prisoners nutritional needs were satisfied. Then I saw a deep space trader was selling a huge amount of Orassan (modded space neko) meat for cheap and said "okay let's do that instead." I'm also using the clutter mod to an orange suit of clothes for each prisoner.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:16:38 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 280