Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854387 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1455 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:38 pm »

You're saying you'd like to extend the average lifetime of your colonies by 15 years just to add functional kids? :P
Black lives matter.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:06 am »

so about 5 game days into my first colony in months I have managed to tame a rare Thrumbo on my level 10 tamers first try. Any ideas what to do with it?
also she has asthma
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:59:37 am by sackhead »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 26, 2016, 05:04:22 am »

Thrumbos are essentially useless as work animals since they pretty much completely unable to actually carry their maximum weight, they eat a lot, and they're hard to train even after taming.
It's better to sell it (or slaughter it if you want to give someone a very pretty sword).
Black lives matter.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 26, 2016, 05:10:53 am »

I just read the wiki article on them... I'm not sure how i managed to tame her I'm getting attached to her. she is eating a lot of trees however.
If i leave her out front of my colony will she be useful at fighting raiders?
Also I noticed i can amputate her lungs can i remove them then give her some human ones from a prisoner?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1459 on: July 26, 2016, 05:25:54 am »

Oh, speaking of modding, am I the only one that's tempted to add in people getting pregnant? Yes? Okay. I'll keep it to myself.
Considering he just added a relationship system last alpha and a 'lovin' activity, I'm sure pregnancy will follow once he figures out how to handle children.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:31 am »

There actually are human babies and kids in the vanilla defines.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1461 on: July 26, 2016, 06:37:14 am »

I'm sure there a lot of mechanical and ethical decisions to be made though in the implementation of children in a game like rimworld.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 26, 2016, 07:50:17 am »

I'm sure there a lot of mechanical and ethical decisions to be made though in the implementation of children in a game like rimworld.

"Ethical" Did not know you cared about ones and zeros :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 26, 2016, 08:16:33 am »

I just read the wiki article on them... I'm not sure how i managed to tame her I'm getting attached to her. she is eating a lot of trees however.
If i leave her out front of my colony will she be useful at fighting raiders?
Also I noticed i can amputate her lungs can i remove them then give her some human ones from a prisoner?
Thrumbos are actually pretty beastly in close combat.  Getting them healed can be tricky without a few mods, but if positioned around a corner they can really mess up some invading pirates.  Tribespeople often come with melee weapons so they're harder to fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:32 am »

Here is a trick...

"Growing" = "Full stack"

It would actually be FAR more effective to grow hay and never harvest it, then it is to feed your animals the hay.

So for tree eaters... just make a tree farm and you will have an endless supply of food.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1465 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:30 am »

"Ethical" Did not know you cared about ones and zeros :P
I personally don't, but the dev might

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »

Large damage to one body part.

I'm pretty sure this is the case, yeah - it fires a single high-damage projectile that looks like a swarm of pellets. To change this, one could go into the Weapons_Guns.xml in the Core/Def/ThingsDef_Misc files (in the mods folder) and change the damage from 1 bullet of 20 to some multiple of bullets adding up to 20... spoilering the rest due to space and all that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

to

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just tossed this together and tested it - it's not quite instantaneous enough for my tastes, but as far as kludgy tinkering goes it's not terrible. You might increase the net damage to get it to remain as effective, though - single, high damage hits seems to be the way to go in this game.

(I never tried combat realism, but considering how much hard & fancy work went into it I assume it had proper instant bursts.)

If you wanted it to be especially splashy in its bullet distribution, you could throw in the line <forcedMissRadius>2.4</forcedMissRadius> (taken from the minigun data) to ensure the bullets spread. Lowering that number from 2.4 to something like 1.2 should make it a little more likely to actually hit the target... in either case, using this will make it so that not many pellets will actually hit the target, but on the other hand will be more likely to hit whatever's nearby.

Doing a bit of further testing, 10 pellets of 4 damage without a forced miss radius gives the shotgun some pretty significant punch.

[Edit: Giving it a bit of thought, a single shotgun blast wounding everything from a person's leg to head seems a bit on the 'videogamey' side of things. Maybe if you shortened the barrel down to nothing or are using a blunderbuss, but the generic pump shotgun as depicted in the graphic for it would probably fire a tighter spread than that. Still, having some almost-guaranteed damage in every shot should give the shotgun some more utility.]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:50:41 pm by Dostoevsky »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 26, 2016, 07:09:21 pm »

Hrum. Any chance that you can try porting CR to v14? the guy who took over seems to have a month or so of work before they can get around to it, and is leaving it free to be taken over by others.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 26, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »

Combat Realism is a HUGELY complicated mod, borderlining a total conversion.  It's gonna take some time to update to the newest version, and gonna take a lot MORE time because the code isn't familiar to the new guy running it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 26, 2016, 07:54:59 pm »

All the more reason to see if someone with less on their plate (that I know of anyways) is willing to give it a shot.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 280