Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 855191 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #930 on: February 18, 2015, 04:16:45 pm »

This really is the DF update.

Alcohol brewing/consumption, vomiting, binge drinking, art stories...

also "Added psychic foil helmet" hah!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 14, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

Well, I got a copy for my birthday, and, well, Randy really loves sending tribespeople, dosent he? Out of 200 attackers in a roughly three hour period, all but five where morons with clubs and bows.

Also, it would be really awesome if windturbines rotated to get power. I dont care about the increased amount of space they would take up, if you are worried about that add a tech for, i dunno, vertical wind turbines.

Also, why the hell cant I load saves off a flashdrive if there is a save on that computer? It just seems odd.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 15, 2015, 12:51:10 am »

Winturbines in real life, are largely stationary.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 15, 2015, 01:02:58 am »

?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 15, 2015, 03:22:00 am »

You may be thinking of something else, as real life wind turbines are most definitely not stationary.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:02 am »

You may be thinking of something else, as real life wind turbines are most definitely not stationary.
Most of the footage of that video clip was taken out where I live. The worlds largest wind farm. In kern county, california. And they're stationary. They heads don't turn to meet the winds. Ever. Most of the turbines are faced the same direction, some are faced the other direction. There are some turbines that can do so. But most dont. There are some turbines that can catch the wind from any direction, but they arent very popular.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 15, 2015, 04:02:06 am »

Perhaps the ambiguousness of the word "rotated" as used in the original poster's comment is confusing me. I see the blades rotating around a central point, as they do in nearly every wind turbine or even old timey windmills, and don't expect the base to rotate, as wind is fairly predictable on average, short of aberrant weather conditions. Oceans complicate things as the land and sea heat differently, causing the direction of the wind to shift as day and night interchange, but this can be accounted for without moving the base.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:04:09 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 15, 2015, 06:20:32 am »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #938 on: April 15, 2015, 07:28:42 am »

The day wind turbines are no longer stationary will be a terrible day.

(I'm so sorry, I couldn't help it)
Never apologize for posting a reference to Don Quixote. Never.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #939 on: April 15, 2015, 09:28:41 am »

Perhaps the ambiguousness of the word "rotated" as used in the original poster's comment is confusing me. I see the blades rotating around a central point, as they do in nearly every wind turbine or even old timey windmills, and don't expect the base to rotate, as wind is fairly predictable on average, short of aberrant weather conditions. Oceans complicate things as the land and sea heat differently, causing the direction of the wind to shift as day and night interchange, but this can be accounted for without moving the base.
Probably should read the comments that are being referenced by comments you're posting about. AseaHeru's post was completely evident to me that he was talking about z-axis rotation rather than a x or y-axis, as the wind turbines in-game already rotated on the x or y axis, depending on the direction you placed them.

@Asea: Best solution I've had is placing turbines in pairs, one EW and one NS. But then, I generally avoided wind power as it was too much real estate to defend for the power density. When/If solar panels get a hard nerf, I'll probably switch to wind as my auxiliary As it is, I always relocate to a thermal vent first thing. Highest power density by far and completely uninterruptible by the environment.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:59 pm »

PTW.
Whats some good mods, if you guys have used any?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #941 on: April 15, 2015, 12:53:41 pm »

Considering Alpha 10 just dropped, I'd not use any mods right now until they update. :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 15, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »

Well then. I get this and it updates the next day, nice timing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 15, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »

Considering Alpha 10 just dropped, I'd not use any mods right now until they update. :)

Whoa...this is what I call "fast development". I think it's time to install the game again, I wanna see the new features. IIRC I haven't played since beta 8.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 15, 2015, 01:41:40 pm »

@Asea: Best solution I've had is placing turbines in pairs, one EW and one NS.
Thats what I do. I also dump them in my farm fields, since crops dont bug them.

Also, every single turbine I have seen (Here in the NE part of 'Murica) rotates to catch the wind. Of course, the direction of the wind also varies alot, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 280