Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 855142 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2250 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:01 am »

Your opinion is fair, and if you don't think the game is worth the price you are free to wait and not purchase it. There is ample information, gameplay videos, etc to allow you to make that decision prior to purchase. I will say that I have payed far more than 30€ in donations to Dwarf Fortress which is also an unfinished, incomplete game and far more frustrating sometimes than Rimworld.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:17 am »

it is a very well balanced, original and interesting game. there's the right level of complexity to enjoy the game, instead of having to wrestle around job assignations, socks, dozens stacks of one bone, training vs combat bolts etc.

they serve completely different niches, and if you like df good for you! I don't see you being forced to play this thing. besides if you have constructive criticism, there probably are mods that could address your issues.

Also it looks you haven't explored the game that much, like the research order you mention, which doesn't work as you say it work, because there are levels appropriate for the scenario and starting tribals you'll have to research electricity and solar panels before being able to build them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:36 am »

Dwarf Fortress is obviously a "fuller" game than Rimworld (although Rimworld has improved quite a bit from it's original source)... but far less viable for casual gamers.

For the most part I'm favoring Rimworld over Dwarf Fortress because in the last few versions I've gotten terrible performance (FPS-wise) out of the latter, TBH. (Which saddens me quite a bit)

I do enjoy Rimworld for it's own merits, and I think it's unfair to compare it to DF. After all, all similarly themed games are going to fall short to the DF standard (though probably rate over DF on new player accesibility), which doesn't make them inherently bad. Minecraft, for instance, loans quite a bit from DF too (a simplified FPS, 3D DF, if you like), and it's not a bad game (though I must say: It's a game that I enjoy LESS than Rimworld because it's harder to mod and you have to dig everything yourself by hand. Which I find tiresome).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:36:09 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: January 16, 2017, 11:34:16 am »

Just because "all" players say it is a wonderful game, doesn't mean it is flawless.
And just because you say it's a bad game, doesn't mean it's bad.

Now, my above statement is an exaggeration, but you get my point. Your post was worded in such a way that you felt your opinion was a fact. That you were exposing the true awful nature of the game that no one could have possibly considered before. And this is simply not true - games aren't really objectively bad unless a majority of people can agree that yes, the game is in fact bad.

There's a difference between discussing your dislike of a game instead of kicking down the door, loudly pronouncing that you hate the game and everything it stands for, then staring down anyone who disagrees.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 16, 2017, 11:45:01 am »

There are a fair few things that are bad in the game and should be replaced, but the same can be said for DF. That said, most of those poorly done sections are fixed via mods in rimworld, while in DF most are slated to be fixed at some point in future.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: January 16, 2017, 11:55:56 am »

*Grumble*
Trying to get a game overloaded with mods to work.  It is either me or the Medieval Times mod is conflicting with something or some other, because my people won't work on construction anymore after I added it.  It is one of the latest mods I added.

I want them in my game, specifically so I could gun them down as they siege my fortress in numbers.

EDIT: I've also got a ton of better work priority type mods in, but as far as I can tell, none of them are incompatible, maybe.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:02:09 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:00 pm »

Work priority type mods are notorious for messing stuff up.  I think "grab me that brick" lets haulers bring materials to construction sites, but that can mess everything up because it redefines what jobs are.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: January 16, 2017, 12:09:37 pm »

agreed on that last point--I would only ever use one work priority mod.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: January 16, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »

Alright, I'll see what I can purge next chance I get.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »

snip
I see the two games this way:

Dwarf fortress has more features and is more of a simulation
Rimworld is more of a "game" with balance and a storyteller to tailor the difficulty to your needs

I like both and I play both for different reasons, they scratch different itches.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 16, 2017, 05:48:05 pm »

If you have CR, it conflicts horribly with Medieval Times. Actually, I think medieval conflicts with just about everything.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »

There's a lighter medieval mod that just adds medieval factions.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 16, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »

There is Medieval Times and there is that other which removes everything. 
I'm trying to use Medieval Times.  Cause as I said, I want to shoot em armored zerglings.

And yea, I have Combat Realism on my list too.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:40 am »

Odd. I don't use CR, but I'd not go as far as saying that MT crashes with very much.

I've not had many problems. And I use quite a few mods

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: January 17, 2017, 10:25:16 am »

ugh I wish the steam workshop had a simpler way to know which mods are compatible with the installed version
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 280