Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 855161 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2280 on: January 29, 2017, 06:15:11 am »

DH is a lot less broken... if you don't save scum...

Given it a Tier 4 ability and those regularly fail...

It is why Orbital Insanity Wave is so nice.

But you don't always succeed at recruiting either. And you have to feed your prisoners. If they are at 99% of recruitment difficulty I'd rather roll the dice and try to get two new recruits for the price of one.
This may be unrelated but...can someone explain 'recruitment difficulty' here? :< I may have missed the help tip on it, but I don't get how it works + the 'tiny white text popup' after a recruitment happening with some % on something working. As in which to vary against what.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: January 29, 2017, 06:21:33 am »

But you don't always succeed at recruiting either. And you have to feed your prisoners. If they are at 99% of recruitment difficulty I'd rather roll the dice and try to get two new recruits for the price of one.
This may be unrelated but...can someone explain 'recruitment difficulty' here? :< I may have missed the help tip on it, but I don't get how it works + the 'tiny white text popup' after a recruitment happening with some % on something working. As in which to vary against what.

each prisoner has a recruitement difficulty, which gets multiplied to the warden level + social bonuses/maluses and mood to determine the final % chance, because it's messy you get a floating popup with the final chance that a pawn has to recruit someone, which is a raw roll on that done daily.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: January 29, 2017, 06:30:11 am »

each prisoner has a recruitement difficulty, which gets multiplied to the warden level + social bonuses/maluses and mood to determine the final % chance, because it's messy you get a floating popup with the final chance that a pawn has to recruit someone, which is a raw roll on that done daily.
So...say, difficulty 99% is basically 'extremely hard anyway', and the context is, for example in vanilla, recruiting a tribal due to the represented 'difficulty in context' and all?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: January 29, 2017, 06:41:23 am »

You always succeed at recruiting... Eventually... You can lock them in a room and basically forget about them entirely so long as you set up your prisons logically... Without real risk AND you can chose who you get.

As opposed to a high chance of failing, high chance of backfiring, ability that you have no real control over.

Not saying it is useless but its "Overpowered" state is based on save scumming.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: January 29, 2017, 06:49:53 am »

Dunno. I don't savescum sacrifice results and I got fairly good outcomes.  :-\

You always succeed at recruiting, but they keep eating food and making trouble in the meanwhile. They might get killed while trying to escape, or die of a disease, and at that point you'd have been better off if you had stripped and sacrificed them right after capture.

BTW: It'd be nice if worshipping Dagon provided you with immunity from Deep One raids.... (and vice versa, being on low standing with dagon resulted in more frequent raids)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:51:25 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: January 29, 2017, 06:50:49 am »

Dunno. I don't savescum sacrifice results and I got fairly good outcomes.  :-\

You always succeed at recruiting, but they keep eating food and making trouble in the meanwhile. They might get killed while trying to escape, or die of a disease, and at that point you'd have been better off if you had stripped and sacrificed them right after capture.

Which is pretty much why I do it :P

I'd rather them be out of my hair.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: January 29, 2017, 06:52:21 am »

Plus the soylent-green chemfuel, man. It's not just a matter of devotion, those generators don't run themselves you know :p
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: January 29, 2017, 07:00:34 am »

I should make a suggestion that one of the abilities is one to make your cultists more and more cannibalistic.

Dagan is still the freeken weirdest guy to worship though... because what are the guys?

Cthulhu a Great Old One
Nyanthotep a Outer God and Servator and Messanger of the outer gods.
Shub Niggorath a Outer God, with a Thousand Young. Also a Fertility Goddess oddly enough (so yeah some of her gifts really do check out)

And... Dagan... a Lesser god (if I am being generous) who works directly under Cthulhu. More accurately you could consider him a Herald of Cthulhu, meant to pave the way to his coming.

At least team him up with Mother Hydra.

---

Oddly enough some abilities feel like they belong to other gods.

Chaos Theory feels like a Yog-Slothoth ability as written.

To admit MOST of Dagan's abilities feel like they belong to Cthulhu... But meh I'll consider Dagan to just be an extension of Cthulhu.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:09:49 am by Neonivek »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: January 29, 2017, 07:23:13 am »

In the original stories it wasn't very clear that Dagon was a different and lesser being from Ctlhulhu (and that the Deep One that was strolling by was just that, a Deep One that was strolling by), rather than a king of the Deep Ones.

That being said, probably some changes would be in order, with more spells per god. Remove Dagon and give his abilities to Cthulhu. Add in Yog Sothoth, give him Chaos theory and some other similarly themed abilities (maybe some raise dead spell? As in, sacrifice a colonist and a dead character -conveniently stored in a sarcophagus- pops back to life, maybe as a friendly reanimated corpse?). Give Nyar some more madness-cannibalism-themed skills , and make Forbidden Knowledge exclusive to him.  Shub Niggurath loses FK but instead gets some healing thing (something like the fertility totem, for example, except you attach this one to hospital beds like a monitor, for instance.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: January 30, 2017, 12:51:24 am »

Ideally a healing type that replaces missing body parts with evil versions.  Regrow a fungus arm, or regrow your spine and get 90% manipulation back, but have to eat 50% more often.  Even better if it's not targetted, so it just hits one/all pawns on the map with injuries.  Partial failures could cause wildlife to sprout weird limbs and become dangerous...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:48 pm »

I've discovered something interesting about Cthulhu's psionic growth: It heals brain damage!

Ergo: if your favorite pawn (eg: my starting triumvirate member the sniper Icehawk) gets brain-damaged by a random shot, you can put him or her back on your feet by sacrificing some random sod to the Great Old Ones!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:24:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 04, 2017, 07:07:20 am »

PD: Starry Wisdom is pretty good too, as you can slowly turn your favorite pawns into cannibal psychopats. This makes it easier to keep them happy, as they stop getting mood penalties for, say, stealing organs from prisoners, and cannibals get a +20 mood boost from eating raw human flesh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: March 03, 2017, 01:33:08 am »

Man, just jumped back into the new version after not playing in quite a while.

Started a new colony, was coming along fairly nicely, trying to refamiliarise myself with everything.
Just got hit by a heatwave. In a rainforest. Before I had a walk-in freezer or passive coolers. Gosh.

The fat guy collapsed first, then the two most useful characters went berserk from frustration and beat up a chinchilla and each other before collapsing. I sent out the one non-afflicted person, the lazy guy who was chilling indoors researching, to try and rescue people, but he only got one to safety before collapsing whilst carrying the second.

Hopefully he (the one who was rescued) can regain consciousness quickly and finish constructing the aircon I ordered built, otherwise we might just all die already. Would be a shame, the colony wasn't going too badly.   

Edit: OH SHIT three of four people just died in the space of about a second. I really doubt the last guy will take much longer.
Note to self: heatstroke is no joke, research passive coolers ASAP even if you aren't in a rush to build a freezer. D:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:36:45 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:19 am »

Mountains are also climate controlled, so if you're on a mountain you can try and dig deeper, under 'overhead mountain'.  It can spawn bugs, but it's also a decent way to avoid instant overheat.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:47 am »

Haha, now I'm playing on an even more intensely hot environment.
This heat wave has bumped outside temperatures up to over 60 degrees, and it's bad enough in the mountain where it isn't far off 40-- I've been encouraging everyone to "chill" in the freezer. Naturally, though, the one thing on everyone's mind is giving the new horseshoes pin outside a whirl. Huckin' ringers as the blazing sun scorches the flesh off their bodies right before their eyes. Nice going, guys. :))   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 280