Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854950 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2235 on: January 13, 2017, 03:27:56 am »

Is there a way to make the home zone not get automatically expanded? I got a manhunter pack of 22 wargs and to make sure my animals got enough food I decided to plant daylilies in every empty dirt square inside the walls. What I forgot was that this would expand the home zone, someone opened a door, aggroed the wargs and they tore down the doors. What followed was a pretty bloody battle as 8 melee fighters and a pack of boars tried to hold them off at the door. Good thing I just finished researching prosthetics...

Make an area yourself.

The home area also affects where people clean and firefight. It would still be nice to control it and not have to trim it down every time I touch up my colony. Is it not possible? Any of you know of a mod for it?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:00 am »

Is there a way to make the home zone not get automatically expanded? I got a manhunter pack of 22 wargs and to make sure my animals got enough food I decided to plant daylilies in every empty dirt square inside the walls. What I forgot was that this would expand the home zone, someone opened a door, aggroed the wargs and they tore down the doors. What followed was a pretty bloody battle as 8 melee fighters and a pack of boars tried to hold them off at the door. Good thing I just finished researching prosthetics...

Make an area yourself.

The home area also affects where people clean and firefight. It would still be nice to control it and not have to trim it down every time I touch up my colony. Is it not possible? Any of you know of a mod for it?

There is a button near the bottom right of your screen to disable auto-designation of the home zone. It looks kind of like a house with a green checkmark IIRC. I understand that it's defaulted on for the sake of newbies, but it's really annoying for everyone else. Hope that helps.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 13, 2017, 03:42:18 am »

Funny thing is... I find that I need MORE home area... rather than less.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 13, 2017, 06:29:37 am »

Make an area yourself.

There is a button near the bottom right of your screen to disable auto-designation of the home zone. It looks kind of like a house with a green checkmark IIRC. I understand that it's defaulted on for the sake of newbies, but it's really annoying for everyone else. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I probably wouldn't have found it. Google results weren't useful and the only 2 buttons I use down there are roof visibility and environment display. I hadn't had a reason to read the tooltips on the other ones again and didn't remember that one was a thing.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:14 am »

It depends. When you are building fortifications its better to trim it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:12 am »

It depends. When you are building fortifications its better to trim it

I typically shave off the outsides of my wall simply because... well... why do I care about an outside raging fire when my people are safe at home?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 15, 2017, 06:07:15 pm »

Is there I demo that you can get? I'm interested in the game, but I want to see if it runs on my computer before I get it.

XZell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 15, 2017, 08:26:36 pm »

I hate this game. Is an insult to game development. It take DF, diluites it with stagnant water and then sells a drop to 30€ on Steam.

Graphics: ok, it's a taste problem, but for me it's is ugly and weird. did they even try?
Gameplay: so, just 7-8 random-quite-useless skills, a 2D map, you can create an entire world but you can play only once (Are you serious?). The game is based on luck and they call it strategy. In DF there is strategy cause you can, with experience, prevent problems and prepare yourself to defeat enemies. Here you must cross your fingers and hope your batteries don't blow up causing fire everywere!
Logic: 0, zero, none, nada, niente, there is not logic in this game. when you start you can build solar panels BUT YOU CAN'T CREATE STONE BRICKS! You must "research" them. As a factorio-like system but without logic! Infact you cannot create a tunnel or create a trap. there is no imagination, no creativity, nothing. Just go and mine...CIRCUITS? are you really serious? You don't need to craft them, you MINE THEM! Or sometimes they fall from the sky. Oh, wonderful. A rat just bite-to-death my pregnant-like woman with high shooting skill equipped with an infinite-ammo gun!
But, hey, don't play it if you don't like it! Also DF is not perfect, also DF has some nonsense features like magmasafe glass and waterless agricolture. You're right, but DF doesn't have an half-complete traslation and doesn't cost 30€! DAMN!

sorry for my rage and for my english, but I think that Rimworld is the example of what game developing does not have to do: selling uncomplete indie games, to an unreasonable price, and create game just stealing ideas from several games and mix them together, calling it "originality".
Have fun to Dwarf Fortress instead
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:36:22 pm by XZell »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 15, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »

Um... okay.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 15, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »

Well that was certainly a thing.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 15, 2017, 10:45:35 pm »

-snip-
Hum :O
As far as I know, there's no push for selling the game other than putting its price up and denoting it as early access, nor are there comparisons directly or overtly made between here and there (it stated that DF is a big inspiration).

Maybe give it a second thought about what just happened with that in mind? :) It's not like there's a competition going about anyway; people can love both and give to either.

...Also I'm unsure who you're replying to. ._.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:32 pm »

I was half way hoping that that was their first post on bay12. They made an account to shit on Rimworld. And for a game they dont like why were they reading the thread about it?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 15, 2017, 10:53:53 pm »

It's always interesting seeing people walk up to a popular game than try to argue that it is objectively a bad game.
"I know this game has lots of fans, but I know for a fact that all those people are wrong and I'm right that this game is objectively bad! Go home everybody - it's okay! I have exposed the true nature of this game!"
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:59 pm »

It's always interesting seeing people walk up to a popular game than try to argue that it is objectively a bad game.
"I know this game has lots of fans, but I know for a fact that all those people are wrong and I'm right that this game is objectively bad! Go home everybody - it's okay! I have exposed the true nature of this game!"
While I get this (as it seems to be taking the news at times a lot more), there's also the reality that people can misinterpret stuff under reasoning and come out with a similar outcome, then afterwards look and think back and go :-[. Which is also just as realistic as that thing there, but a ton less overt given how communication is widespread nowadays. :P (Moods affect people)

He did make his first post in 2015 though. So yeah. Has OK english too.

XZell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:09 am »

Hello everybody :)
Thanks for replies. I play dwarf fortress since 2012 and since then i follow some threads on this forum. I'm Italian (this is the cause of my language errors). I saw this topic about Rimworld and I expressed my opinion. It is full of angry for two reasons.
1)I actually dislike this game
2)When I wrote it, here in Italy, it was 4 am, and if you are awake at 4 am it rarely you have positive thoughs (actually is passed a week since my last beer).

So. I'm not here just to shitpost a game. I saw a topic and I wrote an opinion.
Just because "all" players say it is a wonderful game, doesn't mean it is flawless.

Probably I get wrong playing it while comparing it to Dwarf Fortress. But I still think that a incomplete game at 30€ is too expensive.
I will probably try it again, but please don't treat me like a troll. I'm sorry if I offended someone, it wasn't in my intentions.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 280