Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress  (Read 5840 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 12:24:24 am »

My dwarf loves cats.

I'm liking this game quite a lot.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 02:17:20 am »

Shit, I died.
Dorf me as another carpenter, let the 'Peregarrett' be the title of head of Carpenters Guild
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:58 am »

I have an issue regarding a rotting turtle in the mead-hall that no one is removing. How can I fix this?
If it's owned by another dwarf, the DFHack "cleanowned" command ought to take care of it, though I'm not sure what will be done with the item if you haven't found the chasm yet (I'm guessing it'll just go to a refuse stockpile).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 02:46:08 pm »

I have an issue regarding a rotting turtle in the mead-hall that no one is removing. How can I fix this?
If it's owned by another dwarf, the DFHack "cleanowned" command ought to take care of it, though I'm not sure what will be done with the item if you haven't found the chasm yet (I'm guessing it'll just go to a refuse stockpile).
I haven't yet downloaded your pre-made binary; before I do, I'd just like to know how many of the "improvements" you mentioned are automatic versus having to be manually activated. I just want this game to be as like the original version as possible, only without the annoying bugs.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

Chapter VII: Déjà vu

26th Malachite, 1052

Disaster has struck! Our good hunter, the lass named Mastahcheese, has been killed; struck down by one of the jaguars that she had been trying to kill. Strange, she was able to take down leopards and alligators with little resistance, yet this jaguar took her out without a scratch. The beast has been given a name, one that shall be remembered in our legends and our histories.

As for Mastahcheese, she shall be given a proper burial in a dark stone coffin, just as the other deceased were interred. Every dwarf, in my opinion, should have the honor of being buried in stone.

26th Galena, 1052

Exactly one month ago, the incident with our hunter occurred. Today, she was finally buried, and traditional funeral services were performed. She supplied our fortress with the alligator meat which increased the lifespan of this fortress for weeks; it will be hard to replace this dwarf.

15th Limestone, 1052

The second dwarven caravan has finally arrived. Through trade with it, we shall be able to finally plant the plump helmets we need to sustain our citizens.

8th Sandstone, 1052

Today we traded many of our crafts in exchange for meat, and the glorious plump helmets. Cow cheese was, as always, unobtainable. Once the helmets get consumed, we can use the seeds to plant more. Our farms will be flooded with the mushrooms!

27th Timber, 1052

In order to improve fortress security in the event of an attack or other hazard, we’ve built a drawbridge in our entrance hallway.

24th Moonstone, 1052

Our non-seed food stocks have run dry. “General,” as he prefers to be called, Splint, has volunteered to kill the nearby leopard for its meat. I tried to talk him out of it, but he was determined, and ran outside with his sword and shield.

Surprisingly enough, he managed to succeed. We’ll have to get that beast butchered quickly, before it rots.

13th Opal, 1052

After so much wait, the first residential area of Stabrings is complete.

It comfortably houses 8 dwarves, more than half of our current population. More sections like it shall be carved soon, but for now, this is a huge accomplishment.

1st Granite, 1053

During the end of last year, we were completely out of food. Productivity has almost completely diminished, but once the farm is put back into commission, I hope that we can recover. Extra coffins have been built, in preparation for the worst. As dwarves, however, we will remain hardy, and survive out here living on rats and lice for score if necessary. We shall endure.

Mastahcheese, if you wish, I can re-dwarf you as the next hunter. With the way things are going, Splint may die of starvation as well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 08:29:56 pm »

Ah one of the bad things about DF: The player creatures suck at rationing supplies.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »

Does anyone know how to make the dwarves in this version eat seeds? According to the 23a version of the wiki, they'll eat non-cooked seeds, but in my fortress, they aren't. Is there some sort of required command?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 01:30:48 am »

Man, that was fast.

Yeah, give me the next hunter.

Mastahcheese the Second.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 05:25:09 pm »

Chapter VIII: Biscuits for Everyone!

9th Granite, 1053

We’re dropping like flies in these halls. Everyone is scurrying about, looking for rats to take the edge off of the stomach pains. I’ve had a temporary kitchen installed into the food room, and hopefully we’ll get some biscuits out of it before it’s too late.

18th Granite, 1053

We now have a few biscuits to eat. Not enough to maintain a fortress, but enough to sustain those of us who are still alive.

1st Slate, 1053

By Armok! the migrants are here! They have come to deliver us from the great and terrible hunger which has plagued us for so long! They has brought:
1 Fisherdwarf
1 Jeweler
1 Farmer
1 Metalsmith
3 Peasants
2 Miners
1 Swordsdwarf (Splint has recently departed from us)
1 Trapper
These new workers shall redeem this fallen fortress in the eyes of Armok. They will make for themselves honor and wealth within these tunnels. May we never know hunger again!

12th Slate, 1053

One of the new peasants was murdered by an angry miner. There is now an atrocious looking stain on the wall of our mead-hall!

27th Slate, 1053

After weeks of pain, tantrums, and breaking down doors, I finally feel that I am fit to lead this fortress once again. Production of coffins for the many who have died is in progress, but the current lack of dark stone has put that project on hold. As for myself, I am in the process of building a small, personal tomb near the entrance, so if I should die to a berserk dwarf tomorrow, I shall be properly remembered. The new migrant farmer is planting our plump helmet spawn, and I hope they shall be ready soon. Today’s task is replacing all of the destroyed furniture, which shouldn’t be too difficult.

17th Hematite, 1053

The human caravans are coming to our trading post. Soon, we’ll have to build roads like they have in the cities, so that they’ll be more eager to visit us with full wagons.

18th Hematite, 1053

My tomb has just been finished today. I have literally dug my own grave.

On an unrelated note, this year’s coin design looks rather nice.

I sense a pattern to this fortress: progress a little, starve two-thirds of the population, get migrants, repeat. Splint, if you want, I'll re-dwarf you as the new swordsdwarf.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 06:45:11 pm »

It would be an honor to continue dying for the fortress.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »

Chapter IX: Familiar Faces (Full of Water)

4th Malachite, 1053

Trading with the humans occurred today, resulting in us receiving a large amounts of the meats and cheeses we so enjoy. I hope the government back at the Mountainhome plans on sending a broker soon, as we have no idea what most of our crafts are worth.

14th Malachite, 1053

Today, I decided to get acquainted with some of the recent migrants. To my surprise, two of these new faces shared names with fallen citizens of this outpost; uncannily enough, they even shared professions with these dead. I’m probably just noticing them because this job is taxing my system, and there is no alcohol around. For simple reference, I shall refer to these characters as “Mastahcheese II” and “Splint II.”

21st Malachite, 1053

A jaguar has been pestering my men recently. I have dispatched Splint II to kill it. Hopefully, this won’t end as it did with Mastahcheese.

3rd Galena, 1053

Splint II did not succeed in killing the jaguar, but he did manage to scare it away from the gates. Meanwhile, a jeweler’s shop is under construction, which will yield attractive gems for trade and decoration.

15th Limestone, 1053

The dwarven trade caravan has arrived. Although we haven’t had enough time to replenish our supply of crafts, I hope that our newly cut gems will satisfy the merchants.

9th Sandstone, 1053

One of our miners that had been bedridden with injury has gone mad today. He has taken to running about wildly, tearing off his clothing and screaming in a false language. I hope he has it in him to snap out of it, before something bad happens.

12th Sandstone, 1053

Yet another terrible occurrence whilst hunting! Mastahcheese II was in battle with one the jaguars when she was brutally injured by the beast.

Because this beast did not actually kill anyone, it is not worthy of receiving a legendary dwarven name. Nevertheless, this is yet another reminder that we are in an uncivilized section of the world, and that we must a strong in order to survive and endure.

7th Timber, 1053

(The writing on this page of the journal is scribbled, as if it was hastily done.)

A hear a scream coming from the residential area, and can see the young lad running towards me. By Armok! A flood is coming into our fortress!

I am not pleased.

This is certainly a development. This fortress has plenty of dwarves available to be named; if you are interested, please post.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 11:38:58 pm »

Them Jaguars, man.

Awesome job on this, by the way.
The Derail Thread

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 01:10:02 am »

Flood in the fortress! Everyone in the carpentry and build a raft!
BTW, have you redorfed me?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 02:13:28 pm »

I haven't yet downloaded your pre-made binary; before I do, I'd just like to know how many of the "improvements" you mentioned are automatic versus having to be manually activated. I just want this game to be as like the original version as possible, only without the annoying bugs.
The 3 "improvements" included in the patched EXE are purely technical in nature - they disable usage of the C runtime's small block heap, force serialized heap access, and stop memory allocation from being rounded up to the nearest 16 bytes. The only reason I included them was so it would be possible to load DFHack-23a (the first patch allows DFHack to properly free memory allocated by DF, the second one prevents it from randomly crashing when allocating/freeing memory, and the third one just reduces memory usage by a little bit). The only patches included in that EXE are ones that fix blatant bugs in the game, some to your benefit (dwarves getting stuck, artifacts being hauled around forever) and some to your possible detriment (Sheriff/Mayor/Baron getting unhappy thoughts if you don't meet Justice-related demands, giant cave spiders properly generating webs that your dwarves can get stuck in).

The only way you'd get actual "improvements" to gameplay would be to load DFHack-23a, and that would give at least 2 automatic improvements (one being Dwarf Manipulator, and the other being Chasm/Melt keys available outside of the Stocks screen) which will eventually have to be manually enabled (once I merge the new "plugin enable/disable" logic added to DFHack for 0.34.11).

Does anyone know how to make the dwarves in this version eat seeds? According to the 23a version of the wiki, they'll eat non-cooked seeds, but in my fortress, they aren't. Is there some sort of required command?
Dwarves have never been able to eat raw seeds in any version of DF. If the wiki claims that they can, it is wrong - please tell me where you saw that bit of misinformation so that I can correct it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:16:58 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 09:45:12 pm »

Quietust, thank you for the information; I'll see those patches immediately. As for the misinformation, I actually misread the article, which now makes me feel quite foolish.

Flood in the fortress! Everyone in the carpentry and build a raft!
BTW, have you redorfed me?
I have a peasant currently doing the woodcutting and the carpentry. If you wish, I'll dwarf you as him (or her, I cannot remember). Otherwise, I'll wait for an actual woodworker to come.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5