Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress  (Read 5836 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zatathel (Stabrings): Dwarf Fortress 23a Community Fortress
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 10:48:52 pm »

Chapter X: Short, Sweet, & to the Point

16th Opal, 1053

After many months of work, I have finally had the time to sit down and, once again, attempt to convey the continuing story of this outpost.

After the flood, a door was quickly placed at the entry point to prevent future leakage. The walls around the side of the river have been carved out into floors, to better accommodate for travel and construction. I have designated a bridge to be built to the other side of the river, though I believe that, for now, focus should be on this side of the river, even if future construction should occur along the river. In addition, I have designated a new area to be dug out that shall serve as a more formal storage area.

The river has also brought about a new development that I had not thought of whilst it was flooding our fortress: fish. The fisherdwarves were eager to cast their lines into the water and have easily obtained cave fish more our consumption.

Food in general is a much smaller problem this winter than it was in those past. I can remember crawling about in the dirt looking for rats this time last year. Truly this is a demonstration of how far we have come as a fortress.

The fourth year in the fortress is coming up. Hopefully I'll have more time to update.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 12:30:39 pm »

Chapter XI: Bureaucracy

9th Granite, 1054

I’ve become increasingly suspicious about the cave river recently. It has begun to overflow and toss and turn. I hope that it will not flood as it did last year, though we are far more prepared to deal with such a hazard now.

14th Granite, 1054

Mastahcheese II has finally reached her mental breaking point. She can no longer endure her incapacitation, and has retreated into a permanent state of apathy and sorrow. She shall never again know happiness, and she shall, unfortunately, die soon. Strange, living in this fortress seems to have desensitized me to such horrors.

17th Granite, 1054

In celebration of the new year, 500 more copper coins have been minted with the new official design. Personally, I find it quite unoriginal.

1st Slate, 1054

Another wave of migrants have arrived today, but this time with more fanfare, for there are now nobles in our fortress!

In addition to our ordinary citizens, we now have a broker and a young lass as a bookkeeper. I’ll want to keep these bureaucrats happy, so I’ve pre-ordered chairs and tables for them.

Aside from the nobles, we have received:
1 Craftsdwarf
3 Farmers
2 Masons
2 Miners
1 Mechanic
1 Carpenter
1 Horse
4 Peasants

These new men shall be put to use immediately; some of the peasants will be drafted.

Two nobles are now able for dwarfing; reply to this thread if you have any interest. As for Peregarrett, you will be re-dwarfed as the new carpenter.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »

I suppose I shall hold out for Baron.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »

Well, Death 1, Jaguar
Death 2, Depression.

At least I'm one less mouth to feed!
Re-dorf!

This is awesome, by the way.
Keep dem hunters coming.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:12 pm »

Chapter XII: How About a Swim?

6th Slate, 1054

There has been another occurrence of uncanny resemblance in our fortress. The new carpenter has the same name as our old.

The first two times I passed off as a coincidence, but such unique names appearing often and on the same types of people is down-right weird.

10th Slate, 1054

The broker has already decided to demonstrate his power and authority by banning the export of certain valuables from the fortress.

I understand that, being the broker, he technically has the authority to do this, he has no explanation for his actions. My guess is that he’s trying to put us in our place; those bureaucrats are so predictable.

2nd Felsite, 1054

Mastacheese II died of starvation this morning; she was strong, but perhaps not enough so to dabble with this jaguars. She’ll be interred with her fellow comrades, though we’ll need to build another mausoleum soon.

11th Hematite, 1054

Disaster has struck once again in our fortress! Our fisherdwarf was fishing by the cave river when the entire cavern flooded with its water. The dwarf, naturally, was drowned. We must find a way to combat this potential threat if we are to develop along this river.

17th Hematite, 1054

The humans have arrived today with their trading goods. It will be useful now to have the services of the broker, though we’ll have to be careful about what we trade, lest we incur his wrath.

Meanwhile, our jeweler has stopped talking with his fellow dwarves today; I do hope he’s all right.

18th Hematite, 1054

The jeweler has shut himself within his workshop and, according to witnesses, he was taken to drawing pictures of rough gems on the cave walls. I suppose, for the sake of his health, we should try to fulfill his implied request.

25th Hematite, 1054

The jeweler quickly absconded with the first gem that we dug out of the earth, fleeing to his workshop and locking himself in once more. I can hear the sounds of determined work from the outside; whatever it is that he’s making, it will be interesting.

1st Malachite, 1054

The broker and the guild representative have begun a meeting in the new broker’s office. From what I understand, they’re trying to work out a formalized trading agreement.

On an unrelated note, the jeweler emerged from his shop today, looking stronger and healthier than ever, displaying his creation: a rock crystal earring! Our broker has appraised his earring at 4800! This is quite an accomplishment for our industry.

5th Malachite, 1054

The guild representative bid the broker farewell and left the fortress with her bodyguards today. The broker has officially announced that, in exchange for crossbows, the merchant guild has agreed to bring them barrels of the alcohol that they had been missing for so long. This announcement gave our new broker a great air of popularity in our mead-hall today.

27th Malachite, 1054

The broker has finally dropped his ridiculous trade restriction. He’s a great asset to the fortress, though it seems that he is prone to minor instances of pride. His female companion is a quiet one, and I’ve had no trouble with her as of yet. She mostly wanders around the stockpiles, counting quietly to herself; I’ll try to get her a more formal office for such tasks soon. I hope to get to know both nobles better in the near future, to strengthen the community of this outpost.

19th Galena, 1054

The jeweler has begun to obsess over his creation, refusing to let go of it and threatening anyone that comes near. He is a valuable, hard-working young dwarf, but if this obsession continues, I may be forced to place him under house arrest for the safety of our community.

To any who have been following this thread, I'll update it periodically when I can; I'll not abandon this thread. As always, dwarves are available, including the two nobles. Reply if you are interested.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46:35 am »

This is going very nicely.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 02:41:23 pm »

He-he-he. You think carpenters are just kind of elfy crafters?! He-he-he...
Carp Enter. Think of it...

Meanwhile, let Peregarrett furnish the Carp Enter Guild's hall.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 10:47:44 pm »

Chapter XIII: Dripping With Delicious Fat

9th Limestone, 1054

Our dwarven trade partners have returned to Zatathel, this time bringing an outpost liaison.

I see that our fortress has finally reached a level of decent respect back at the Mountainhome; I hope to maintain the trust of the merchants by providing quality items.

18th Limestone, 1054

I should have known that we would attract more than the friendly races to our fortress. A kobold thief managed to enter our fortress, and was spotted right at the drawbridge. Unfortunately for the thief, he ran right into Splint II, who decapitated the skulking creature with a single swing of his blade. Upon questioning the merchants, we were able to discover that Zatathel is within range of the kobold group “Lododrombus,” led by the infamous bowman Frostrirnus. More active patrol is necessary on the part of the militia in order to keep these pests at bay.

19th Limestone, 1054

Another thief was spotted, and was quickly dispatched with the help of one of the caravan guards. It seems as if they followed the merchants, knowing that they would lead them to wealth.

20th Limestone, 1054

Today marks to third attempted robbery of Zatathel; it seems as if these creatures possess only the most primitive mental ability, for they do not learn from the mistakes of their dead.

22nd Limestone, 1054

Urist the liaison met with our bookkeeper, and the two females discussed the basic needs of the fortress. From what I understand, the autumn caravan will bring us more picks and seeds, which will fulfill the basic necessities of the fortress.

11th Sandstone, 1054

I passed by the old kitchen today to be met by good news and bad news. The good news: the cooks are practicing their skills; the bad news: their foods are rather experimental.

It will take time before the king will make any plans of visiting this mountain hall for a feast.

27th Sandstone, 1054

The broker has prohibited us from exporting buckets, as if we even would. Buckets are too useful and too inexpensive to sell.

27th Timber, 1054

Peregarrett II personally approached me today, recognizing me as a figure of authority in Zatathel, and asked for authorization of a personal building project. Wishing to put off the conversation, I told him that I could not grant his request without proper plans, which he readily supplied.

I can’t tell yet what he plans to make, but whatever it is, it better not take too much work to complete.

What could our carpenter friend be up to? Find out in the next exciting installment!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 11:16:21 pm »

I am eager to find out, so long as it doesn't result in us dying because we got some deranged glitched out thing with an adamantine bubble in there.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 03:03:46 am »

Soo sweet, the Carp Enter Guild will have it's own muddy lawn at the entrance. I just hope no noble person slip on the mud and fall in the water....

Let there be a wooden bridge 3 tiles wide. And a wooden door of highest quality that is available. And chairs, tables, cabinets, chests and so on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:55:43 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 05:56:48 am »

Nice, 23a. Can I get a military dwarf? Preferably male please. Thanks.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:05 pm »

Nice, 23a. Can I get a military dwarf? Preferably male please. Thanks.
Of course.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:10 pm »

Chapter XIV: Artefact

3rd Moonstone, 1054

I feel off today. I don’t know what could cause this, but I do not feel up to working today. Perhaps I need to take a short walk.

4th Moonstone, 1054

Yes! Yes! Yes! The mason’s shop belongs to me! No one else may have it! Now bring me dark stone my servants. Hearken to me slaves!

11th Moonstone, 1054

Finally! My servants have brought me the required materials! Now I can begin my great project!

14th Moonstone, 1054

I woke up in my workshop today, the past week-and-a-half a blur, to find a strange structure that I vaguely recognize as mine in the corner.

In my confused state, I had called this weapon rack “Ripraked.” Disturbingly, the nature of this creation is similar to that of the jeweler’s. Nonetheless, this is a well-designed piece, and will look nice in my future office.

5th Opal, 1054

Today a baby was born within the barracks of our fortress. I personally saw the lass bring a new life into this world. I was struck with a newfound realization that our fort will, in time, become something more than a large, busy workspace; Zatathel will be the homeland for many dwarves to come. This has given me a new drive to make this colony more homely. Smoothed floors and walls will need to be frequent, a new well is in order, and bedrooms are still an issue. We shall make a palace out of this cave.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »

I am eager to find out, so long as it doesn't result in us dying because we got some deranged glitched out thing with an adamantine bubble in there.
Raw adamantine doesn't occur in "bubbles" in this version - it's all along the far right edge of the map, beyond the magma flow.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »

Raw adamantine doesn't occur in "bubbles" in this version - it's all along the far right edge of the map, beyond the magma flow.

And someone doesn't know what a joke is I see.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5