Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [DF 34.11]Fikodtun, Land of the Loving  (Read 10985 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11]Fikodtun,a generic succession game
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:19 pm »

Starting to look like a fort, complete with militia that ignore seemingly sensible equipment requests.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52:40 am »

You leave Vucar alone D:< Just because she's doing nada and is generally being terrible at being a dwarf there's nothing wrong with her apart from everything that makes up her entire being!

Starting to look like a fort, complete with militia that ignore seemingly sensible equipment requests.
Hey now,what did I carve into the mountain? Sillypotty?
Regarding the equipment issues;If you haven't tried it yet try assigning the short sword directly to her using the specific weapon option. If that fails...welp, there's always using her as an ammoblocker.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:48 am »

Wasn't bagging on you, Liw, just appreciating the progress.  The first year is always a mad dash to make things possible.  I tend to find the first two years equally annoying and rewarding, in that you accomplish so little, and always end up having to redesign afterwards.  But at the same time what you do in the first few seasons is vital to making the next few years go well.  Farms, basic ways to defend, and then trying to get enough immigrants to come, but not so many you starve yourself out.

I find I hit my stride around 70 dwarves.  Enough to have a militia squad or two, not so many that you have to micromanage the labors.  I'm year six, I think, so I hoping to either kit out the militia and solidify defense, or if that is done, start some sort of mega project.  Forewarning, I love giant mausoleums.  And if things stay too peaceful, trying to find a way to keep the game interesting.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

I'll take an overseer's position.

If someone is dwarfing people, go ahead and dwarf me (miner, mason, stonecrafter, or manager, any one of those works)
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »

I wasn't able to update yesterday because my week's been a little cluttered. I'm okay now though. owo

17th of Malachite, 252 AU
I don't really think we'll have to worry about our food stocks for a while now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll be completely honest, Uvash sucked ass at architecture but his production management skills aren't half-bad despite the fact that all of the workshops are at minimal safety and hygiene conditions. The only thing that looks well-done in those workshops are the walls, and those are just polished up a little. In any case, the food stockpiles were pretty well set up beforehand, all I had to do was make some rock pots (THANKS FOR NOTHING VUCAR) using the Stonecrafter who immigrated here and set the food workshops to repeat. Now all I have to do is move the butcher shop so it's near the kitchen rather than next to all the other workshops.

21st of Malachite, 252 AU
Gettin' real sick and tired of your shit, Glazedoor citizenry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this isn't at a very good time either since she was supposed to be polishing the damn dining room, not pushing more useless fucks out of her uterus. I might as well just isolate all the female members of our fortress and have it so that they are only released one day every two years, and during that period they can fornicate all they like. At least it should keep the new infant ratio down, because where I'm from the birth rate is atrociously high (therefore spawning my hatred of the little assballs).

On a side note, the fortress apparently reached the status of Village from the Mountainhome. I don't know why they'd want to make other dwarves think that this fortress is even anything like a nice little village you'd like to call your own, but hell, dwarves are fucking stupid.

26th of Malachite, 252 AU
EVEN THE MANAGER GAVE BIRTH NOW
IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN A WEEK
THEY'RE LITERALLY JUST FOUR FUCKING DAYS APART

The rest of the month's entries seem to be filled only with images and strange scribbles resembling phalluses.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:02 am »

Wasn't bagging on you, Liw, just appreciating the progress.  The first year is always a mad dash to make things possible.  I tend to find the first two years equally annoying and rewarding, in that you accomplish so little, and always end up having to redesign afterwards.  But at the same time what you do in the first few seasons is vital to making the next few years go well.  Farms, basic ways to defend, and then trying to get enough immigrants to come, but not so many you starve yourself out.

I find I hit my stride around 70 dwarves.  Enough to have a militia squad or two, not so many that you have to micromanage the labors.  I'm year six, I think, so I hoping to either kit out the militia and solidify defense, or if that is done, start some sort of mega project.  Forewarning, I love giant mausoleums.  And if things stay too peaceful, trying to find a way to keep the game interesting.

No worries,no offense was ever taken.
Yes, whilst the first year is basically survive or die trying the other years bring in the finer nuances of Dwarf Fortress, might it becreating industries, an army, or w/e, however without the first year there is no thing such as a fortress as boring as the first year might be.

I wasn't able to update yesterday because my week's been a little cluttered. I'm okay now though. owo

You still have plenty of times to finish your turn. No need to rush or force yourself to update.
I'll take an overseer's position.

If someone is dwarfing people, go ahead and dwarf me (miner, mason, stonecrafter, or manager, any one of those works)

My apologies however the roster is full as it is considering this is a circling succession game (I might need to update the threat name)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 12:44:03 pm »

Not to try and cause any drama, but here is a thought:

Should we start an alternate/reserve list for anyone interested in case either 1) turns go fast or 2) someone is unable to complete their turn for whatever reason?

I totally understand keeping the roster small for the purposes of continuity and because Liw made the game, his rules trump.  Just figured I'd toss it out there as an idea in case the game continues to draw interest.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

Back to talking about the actual game, I had a thought:

There is a tower on the map.  Whoever makes the first refuse and corpse piles, and butcher shops, may want to make sure those things are secured to prevent crawling hand and hair induced death by necromancer.  Bonus points for a pit to the magma sea.  My current solo fort just finished a giant atom smashing drawbridge to facilitate such security.  You basically dump all the offending items under a raised bridge, then lower it, smashing the unfortunate parts into oblivion.

Liw, based on the claim of english not being your first language, I could not tell that at all from your first year.  Good job!

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:26 pm »

Back to talking about the actual game, I had a thought:

There is a tower on the map.  Whoever makes the first refuse and corpse piles, and butcher shops, may want to make sure those things are secured to prevent crawling hand and hair induced death by necromancer.

Oh, don't worry, the refuse and corpse stockpile's actually already underneath two trapdoors which can easily be locked in case of an emergency. Any of the bones that take up space down there can be used to make crafts, and crafts don't get reanimated. owo
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 02:11:14 pm »

Awesome! 

Without opening up the save, do we have an accessible brook or water source?  The embark showed a brook, but I haven't seen one of any of the pics, and I am forcing myself to resist exploring the save.  I'm curious to know if we need to try to find the caverns or if we can route some water for wells from a more readily available surface source.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 04:14:59 pm »

No, there's no brook or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if the caverns did. I haven't begun digging down yet since I'm still in the process of getting Glazedoors' fist out of its own ass but once we're self-sufficient I'll see to it that there's at least some kind of pump stack prepped so that my successor can pump water out of there. (I'm just hoping that no forgotten beasts find contentment in sitting on top of our pump stack while a dwarf tries to operate it. omo)
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 09:20:30 am »

Not to try and cause any drama, but here is a thought:

Should we start an alternate/reserve list for anyone interested in case either 1) turns go fast or 2) someone is unable to complete their turn for whatever reason?

I totally understand keeping the roster small for the purposes of continuity and because Liw made the game, his rules trump.  Just figured I'd toss it out there as an idea in case the game continues to draw interest.

I might just do that, ie. a secondary roster in case people drop out... speaking of which!

Secondary roster is up for sign up's!

Liw, based on the claim of english not being your first language, I could not tell that at all from your first year.  Good job!
Err...thanks? But I never claimed english not being my motherlanguage, which is true non the less, however my claim was that I had a cold making it somewhat hard to focus on writing thus making gramma/spelling-errors more likely. Err...ummm...I troughoutly thank thee non the less.

No, there's no brook or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if the caverns did. I haven't begun digging down yet since I'm still in the process of getting Glazedoors' fist out of its own ass but once we're self-sufficient I'll see to it that there's at least some kind of pump stack prepped so that my successor can pump water out of there. (I'm just hoping that no forgotten beasts find contentment in sitting on top of our pump stack while a dwarf tries to operate it. omo)

Hey now, the place ain't half as bad as you describe it. Sure, I went out of my way to design everything mildly annoying to deal with (eg. just placeworkshops whereever I wanted them, but at least they aren't in the hallways!) however at least the bedrooms are okay-ish additional the farm is somewhat self sufficent, just needs wheelbarrow's to stop the annoying "needs seeds" spam. Oh and we have a gate! So all in all the fortress does have it perks, just barely any good ones. *cough**hack*yeah okay,it really is as bad as you make it look.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:24 am »

Liw, well derp on my part.  I must have totally misread your post.  No offense meant.  I wrote it with a head cold, so maybe that's why :).

As for water or any other comments, I'm not telling you guys what to do, just thinking out loud.  Since it's a newbie friendly game, I'm trying to put out questions that might be helpful to new overseers, and to keep posts and conversation going as we have a rather long turn lengths.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 11:20:15 am »

Note about the long turns: just because you can take 3 weeks for your turn doesn't mean you should take three weeks for your turn. If you have to, that is fine, but if you can keep it quick, all the better.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »

Sign me up for the secondary roster
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8