Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Little lucky breaks you've had  (Read 3114 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little lucky breaks you've had
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

Tell us the tale of some of your interesting lucky breaks you've encountered. When Lady Luck smiles and RNGesus blesses you. 

Being a very new player, my tale is very modest indeed.

I embark with a wide variety of breeding animals, intending to setup (or try to) a thriving livestock industry.
My two pack animals? A male and female horse, a kind of animal I didn't embark with. Rather than butcher them, I get a freebie new animal type  to include in my livestock industry. 

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Little lucky breaks you've had
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »

One of my forts had a carpenter of doom.

I had, for some reason, turned off wood gathering, so my carpenter was braving the wilds to get wood to make... whatever it was.

Kobold thief pops up. WHAM, fist to the skull.  Down boy.  Carpenter continues.  Another thief.  WHAM, repeat.  Another thief.  He hits him so hard he falls over, THEN jams his fist into his skull.

... then I turned on wood gathering before my merchants got so scared of the carpenter they wouldn't swing by.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:58:29 pm »

I had a hunter out doing his thing by the edge of the map, when a Vile Force of Darkness arrived, and a crossbow squad spawned about fifteen tiles from the poor sap. He had ample time to run away, but needless to say, he stood his ground. I was already making burial preparations for the moron when he shot the squad leader in the leg, causing the whole squad to turn and run. He emptied his quiver into the leader's limbs and torso, then he calmly walked inside and grabbed himself a =dingo tallow roast=, leaving the leader writhing in agony by the roadside.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »

The werezebra Cog Kubukmebzuth has come! A large zebra twisted into humanoid form!

Apparently he had escaped the cage I left him in in my previous fort and came all the way across the world for vengeance!

Shame he wandered straight into a herd of wild unicorns...

One of them even earned a name, "Arzesmuthkat" Knightedmansions. The first of three named unicorns so far.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:57:42 pm »

a legendary mechanic stepped into the middle of a goblin ambush. he was eventually chased by a goblin swordsman who did so for over half of the map.

just as the goblin caught up to him, he fell into a cage trap, one that i planted years ago to catch giant sparrows.

the goblin landed one hit on him, but it was blocked by his silk cloak.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:22 am »

Found a half-Terrifying embark where the raining death slime was a bit light on the "death" part.  So I built a giant mushroom for the nobles.  :D

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:44 am »

In my second fort (a sprawling mess of tunnels and such) I have a siege going on with a full squad of goblin archers camped in a tunnel due to their leader being in a cage trap. 

Enter a dragon from the edge.  Who opts to go into the fort via the same tunnel the goblins are in.

They meet.  Salvo of arrows hits dragon while dragon flamethrowers the tunnel.  Dragon collapses and dies.  Goblins realize they've been melted and collapse into piles of ash and pools of melted cooper.  Some cages burn and releash the goblin captain (who runs) and some trolls as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:08 pm »

Every time a goblin snatcher manages to grab a baby from a legendary soldier who then immediately detects him.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »

I got a few in my current fort. I embarked in a terrifying biome that was raining rotten mucus that knocks you out, and was doing a one pick challenge.

After making a sprint for the caverns I cobble together a few blocks and start walling off myself an area. I walled off a small connection to the northern map edge but left a little spot for things to spawn in. A minute later I notice 6 troglodytes sitting there. Close call!

Shortly afterwords I build a door and put it at my surface entrance and lock it. About 15 minutes later I happen to look back at the entrance room and I see a troll knocking on my door! I had just enough time to get someone to throw a wall up when the door breaks. Afterwords the troll gives up and leaves the map, never to be seen again.

Several game years later I have a goblin siege wile a caravan is locked in my base. Strangely they just sit at the southern border even when I open the entrances and try to get them to come within archer range. So the caravan says it is trying to leave but they just sit there for a month before packing up their stuff. I open the entrances and just wait for the caravan massacre to happen. A month later I get that rotten mucus rain for about 5 seconds and it knocks out the entire goblin siege, then my caravan FINALLY decides to leave and walk right into them, easily killing every last goblin! Awesome timing! :D
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:47:49 pm »

Playing Masterwork:

Nongnob the forest giant shows up. Figuring I'm doomed since the pastures are only sealed by a door. Right before opting for mass conscription I check the unit screen. For whatever reason she's friendly and is now hanging out near the central stairwell.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »

I have two. Both are Masterwork, both involve types of werebeasts, which is sort of spoilers I guess. The second story is a larger spoiler than the first.

Spoiler: The Baby (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Brewer (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: my brewmistress is a stone-cold killer who came to my fortress to kick ass and brew drinks... and sometimes we're all out of barrels.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »

On Masterwork, a plains titan exploded 5 ticks after arrival because it was made of "Mutate Pet into Sprite". I put what was left of it in a pair of display cases for the "local history museum".
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:52:51 am »

On Masterwork, a plains titan exploded 5 ticks after arrival because it was made of "Mutate Pet into Sprite". I put what was left of it in a pair of display cases for the "local history museum".

What exactly is the 'mutate pet into sprite' thing?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 01:03:31 am »

What exactly is the 'mutate pet into sprite' thing?

Some mods apply syndromes by creating a material that boils at low temperatures and carries said syndrome.

Since forgotten beasts and titans can be made out of almost any material on the game, there is a chance that they can be one of these materials and simply explode once they are on map.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:57:18 pm »

I had a werebeast come onto a map when I was cleaning up after a siege.  "Blah blah the Werebison has come!  Fear the night yakkety smakkety."  Dude promptly reverts to human form and runs off the map.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2