Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Little lucky breaks you've had  (Read 3119 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little lucky breaks you've had
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 11:41:49 am »

I had a werebeast come onto a map when I was cleaning up after a siege.  "Blah blah the Werebison has come!  Fear the night yakkety smakkety."  Dude promptly reverts to human form and runs off the map.

That happened to me with amusing results.

Early in my fort, no defenses, no military, just got my 2nd wave of migrants.
I have a dozen sheep/lambs (the ewes just finished giving birth). The were-panda appears right in the middle of my flock of sheep. My ewes and lambs scatter, the ram sticks around and proceeds to get his ass kicked and bitten several times.

My emergency squad consists of 7 guys with 2 copper mining picks, 1 wooden axe, 2 wooden training spears that two migrants happened to have randomly and the rest untrained 'wrestlers'

Just as my angry mob arrived on the surface the were-panda reverted to human and booked it for the edge of the map.

My Ram survived. I was dissapointed that I wouldn't be getting a were-panda ram though.

black47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 02:42:51 pm »

A couple of fortresses ago, a minotaur attacked my awfully prepared fortress. An unlucky dwarf was outside and got chased around by it. It actually starts heading for my fortress entrance, which I'm certain would be the fort's doom.
Around 20 seconds later a caravan shows up, but being on the edge of the map, logic tells me they are too late.

This is dwarf fortress though. The panicking dwarf runs around the fortress entrance while being chased by the minotaur. 2 or 3 times around it, instead of getting inside. Just as the minotaur gets to him and starts beating him to a pulp, the caravan guards arrive to the scene as well and take care of the minotaur. The dwarf survives with a few broken bones.

On a less dwarfy universe, the minotaur would have chased the dwarf inside the fortress and killed everyone, and with the depot being outside near the entrance, there was no reason for the caravan guards to ever go inside to help.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 03:53:18 pm »

In what I thought was a sealed-off fortress, Urist McHauler cancels Mindless Drudgery: interrupted by forgotten beast.

Turns out I hadn't replaced the up/down staircase where I breached the caverns with an up staircase to seal the bottom, and that one FB, out of about 5, was the one that couldn't fly.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »

no siege in three years. not sure if it's a lucky break or an unlucky one.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:33 pm »

I have had (in different forts) a weremouse (or was it a rat?) and a werehare.

Now you will know why you... find the night less than scarry.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »

I have had (in different forts) a weremouse (or was it a rat?) and a werehare.

Now you will know why you... find the night less than scarry.

Any way to know what their actual size was? Like small or human sized?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »

Back in 40d, a hunter one-shotted a Titan through the eye. I spent ten minutes frantically looking for the massive invader that had been dramatically announced and was surely somewhere wreaking havoc, only to discover the corpse.

I had an immigration wave break a goblin siege. There was a hunter among them and he shot down both of the goblin squad leaders, causing the rest to scatter.

On a succession map, a Titan got into the fort. Very fortunately, it was made of snow and some random untrained soldier managed to smash the thing with a shield. On the same map, during the same turn, I barely manged to erect a wall across a tunnel built for some previous overseer to....I don't know. Drown caravans? Or something? Anyway, there was an entire army of goblins and trolls that had to be staved off by the aforementioned untrained soldiers (who all died) so that they wouldn't access the main stairwell. This was the first of three invasions that year.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 08:29:34 am »

Not really a lucky break for me, but a VERY lucky dwarf. In a previous fort, I had a miner who fell while removing some up stairs or whatever and came this [] close to dying due to skull jammed through brain. Despite her skull being fractured, her brain was only dented. I think this is the first non-fatal brain injury that I've seen in a dwarf. I got her out of the mining profession before she could get herself wounded any further and despite the problems that you might expect from a major brain injury like that, she was as normal.
Pages: 1 [2]