Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: OpenTTD  (Read 5827 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: OpenTTD
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »

Any tips?

1) Have a spare keyboard, for when you bite through your keyboard in frustration, because, dem signals
2) the community forum / wiki has decent guides on how signals work, up to very complex terminal station traffic flows.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »

Distance  is great for coal. Like, across the map, use fast trains, 60k or more per run.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »

Alright. Can someone explain Signals to me so I don't have to ask later... ooor should I just look it up?

EDIT: Random trivia. Wasn't this the game that Microprose slipped a Skyranger from XCOM in?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:49:22 pm by Iceblaster »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 02:49:53 pm »

Alright. Can someone explain Signals to me so I don't have to ask later... ooor should I just look it up?
They make trains stop sometimes.
Other than that I understand nothing. There's a bunch of rules and variations on the signals and they act differently depending on the junctions an signals around them and... yeah. Learning OTTD probably takes the same amount of time it would take to learn to draw or play an instrument or construct spacecraft.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 02:51:10 pm »

Well, I find the easiest thing to do is to just make a loop to string a bunch of trains through. Just create two sets of tracks, one with a one-directional signal set one way, the other going the other way. (Accomplish this by dragging the signals the way you'd like the trains to go.) Connect the two stations up that way and you can run three or four trains, depending on distance, from there. For more trains, you'll probably need more platforms, which will require more advanced signal finangling.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

I... just use tunnels and bridges when I need to cross tracks. >____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 02:57:01 pm »

I... just use tunnels and bridges when I need to cross tracks. >____>
The real problems happen when you get to that stage of the game where you need to be conserving rail distance to make a good profit. Then you need to start getting different trains going different places using the same stretch of railroad, and you need to engage signal hyperfinangling mode to prevent the world from exploding.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:29 pm »

If we ever play a game of this I'm sticking to buses :P

They seem to be the simplest thing

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »

If we ever play a game of this I'm sticking to buses :P

They seem to be the simplest thing
Actually, I consider buses essentially just simpler trains. The real simplicity comes when you establish boat and plane transportation, where no track is needed.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:23 pm »

engage signal hyperfinangling mode to prevent the world from exploding.
I just use planes at that point, but thats apparently meh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 04:28:58 pm »

Anyone have an opinion of OTTD vs Simutrans? I've played OTTD, and just downloaded Simutrans, but I really can't see much of a difference, excluding that Simutrans actually gives products desitinations to take them to, as opposed to how OTTD does it the other way around.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »

Does anyone know if this takes a lot of processing power/bandwidth to host? I may be able to put something together if it's not too high and if I can find my missing cord.

Ninjaedit, it doesn't appear to be too high, so I'll look around for that cord.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 01:21:07 am »

Does anyone know if this takes a lot of processing power/bandwidth to host? I may be able to put something together if it's not too high and if I can find my missing cord.

Ninjaedit, it doesn't appear to be too high, so I'll look around for that cord.

I read this as:
"I'll put it together if I'm not too high"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:00 am »

It's been a while since I touched OpenTTD, so let me look up one or two things so I can explain it...

You know what? I'll just link to what I used to figure out signals the first time: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/showthread.php?t=917356 Just scroll down a bit, and there's a wonderful series of images that explains signals perfectly.

It's a wonderfull series of signals with two of the most important ones missing~

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:38 am »

That thread is from 2011. I think some things have changed since then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6