Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 213

Author Topic: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game  (Read 258368 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Overlord - A suggestion Game
« Reply #750 on: September 02, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »

Final stand.

Except it's not final, except for this 'hero'.

We intend to win.

Stand.  And win.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 02, 2013, 06:30:23 pm »

I read a book saying she was once an overlord yes.question is what's your history with her?
Why so suacidal over an over and done with overlord?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 02, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »

Take off our mask. Show him. Say hello to our old friend.

Then go into the next room, introduce him to Chemista, take Cerulean, and leave.

Lay low. Build a new base somewhere totally else.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 02, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

Sounds good to run away...but who do we take? Everyone is either dead,hiding, or not knowing of our plan.

How successful are we goimg to be starring from scratch.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 02, 2013, 08:06:58 pm »

So far as  I can tell, this game is not winnable. The GM gave us an opponent that we could not possibly beat and described it as a mission that we had to do because the game would get harder if we didn't. So we did it, manage to pull it off without it going to combat, and what's the result? That heroic hero with plus 22 bonus:

+ 4 (Heroic Hero) + 6 (My Sword Shines in the Night) + 12 (The Howl of Death Shall Cleave My Path)

...swearing revenge against us. Seriously, what were we supposed to do about that? His natural bonus is bigger than the biggest adviser-combination bonus plus roll we're capable of fielding. Even if we put everything we have against him, he rolls a 1 and we roll a natural 12...he still wins. That is the hero who was at the hospital 20-some thread pages ago in the mission that we were advised to do to keep the game from getting harder. And yet, somehow we managed to pull it off anyway by avoiding him, but the game just keeps getting harder anyway, and in addition to the heroic hero we ended up with a new twenty eight hero team introduced to the game.

Shortly afterwards, several of us say how much we like Cerulean and how important she is to us, so the following turn she gets captured and tortured. We pull out everything we have to deal with it, somehow manage to take out the 28 hero team...and instead of getting downtime or rewards or any way to recover....instead we get the unbeatable hero in our lair.

Every time we do something well,  we just get something worse thrown at us.

The game is rigged. There's no way to win. There's no point fighting a hopeless battle.

Take Cerulean, and retire in the Bahamas. Maybe we can't win, but we don't have to lose.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:10:11 pm by LordBucket »

Vash_M87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 02, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »

So far as  I can tell, this game is not winnable. The GM gave us an opponent that we could not possibly beat and described it as a mission that we had to do because the game would get harder if we didn't. So we did it, manage to pull it off without it going to combat, and what's the result? That heroic hero with plus 22 bonus:

+ 4 (Heroic Hero) + 6 (My Sword Shines in the Night) + 12 (The Howl of Death Shall Cleave My Path)

...swearing revenge against us. Seriously, what were we supposed to do about that? His natural bonus is bigger than the biggest adviser-combination bonus plus roll we're capable of fielding. Even if we put everything we have against him, he rolls a 1 and we roll a natural 12...he still wins. That is the hero who was at the hospital 20-some thread pages ago in the mission that we were advised to do to keep the game from getting harder. And yet, somehow we managed to pull it off anyway by avoiding him, but the game just keeps getting harder anyway, and in addition to the heroic hero we ended up with a new twenty eight hero team introduced to the game.

Shortly afterwards, several of us say how much we like Cerulean and how important she is to us, so the following turn she gets captured and tortured. We pull out everything we have to deal with it, somehow manage to take out the 28 hero team...and instead of getting downtime or rewards or any way to recover....instead we get the unbeatable hero in our lair.

The game is rigged. There's no way to win. There's no point fighting a hopeless battle.

Take Cerulean, and retire in the Bahamas. Maybe we can't win, but we don't have to lose.

First of all, don't be so fatalist/negative. Second, the turn is not over yet, there is still much that can be done. Third, this is a story-driven adventure, not just an amalgamation of numbers. And finally, this event is not meant to be won by combat or tactics alone(imo), I'm sure there is a plot element at work here. If we're smart about it, we'll persevere. If we just throw the towel, its not going to be any fun and it will ruin the game's progression.

Think of DF now, do you give up and quit a fortress on the first forgotten beast appearance? Do you just give up when your fortress is sieged? The anwser is No, you don't. You fight through it. Even against all odds. Until every single dwarf is dead.

And honestly, if the game was a breeze, i dont think it would've been anywhere near as much fun as we're all having right now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:40:57 pm by Vash_M87 »

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:52 pm »

Remember that the hero is here because we got to rescue Cerulean. Cerulean was captured in a easy mission (potheads - there was not even chance of hero appearing) just because of the dice. The only interpretation i can make is that we should not have rescued Cerulean.

Now it's just German (unknown combat prowess - probably lame)+ ourselves (unknown combat prowess - probably awesome but i doubt better than Psysquid+everything else) to beat a guy that REALLY SEEMS CAPABLE OF CUTTING MOUNTAINS IN HALF.
Chemista can't fight because she's babysitting Cerulean. Cerulean is beaten up as shit.
WE CAN'T RETREAT, because he would kill Cerulean and seriously, if we let her die why did we rescued her in the first place?

I consider this to be end-game. But let's see what happen.

My vote: Incognito[ink] + German X Knighthowl

Edit: Is the SAD system in this room? Just noticed we did not summon anything yet - could somehow drop Knighthowl in there and pull the lever. Fuck everything.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:59:38 pm by Cattani »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:50 pm »

WE CAN'T RETREAT, because he would kill Cerulean and seriously

He didn't kill Gamington, despite the fact that he just unleashed a massacre:

"It is a carnage without honor, without grace, without a fighting chance. Houses are burned, people are flailed alive, no one is spared from such brutality that can only echo in the most horrible annals of the history of B-City."

"Well done, in getting till here," you comment. "What of Lord Gamington?"
"I do not kill those who can't put up a fight, differently from your kin," Knighthowl snarls."

If he let Gamington live, I see no reason to assume he'll kill a defenseless child and her guardian choosing to walk away from a battle. He wants Chemista. So let him fight Chemista while we take Cerulean and make a hasty retreat.

Think of DF now, do you give up and quit a fortress on the first forgotten beast appearance? Do you just give up when your
fortress is sieged? The anwser is No, you don't. You fight through it. Even against all odds. Until every single dwarf is dead.

You're seriously advocating fighting until we're dead? Why? Have you read the Evil Overlord list?

Fighting a losing battle to the end is silly. Run away.

We're alive. Gamington is alive enough that he can be rebuilt. Psysquid escaped. Cerulean is alive.  Chemista appears to have a get away for free ability. Everyone else is replaceable. If Knighthowl knows where our lair is and he's not a complete idiot, every hero in the world knows where our lair is. There's nothing here to defend, and even if we somehow defeat him nothing will be gained because every other hero in the world will soon be knocking on our doors. Take what we have and leave. Rebuild somewhere else.

Vash_M87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »

Think of DF now, do you give up and quit a fortress on the first forgotten beast appearance? Do you just give up when your
fortress is sieged? The anwser is No, you don't. You fight through it. Even against all odds. Until every single dwarf is dead.

You're seriously advocating fighting until we're dead? Why? Have you read the Evil Overlord list?

Fighting a losing battle to the end is silly. Run away.

Thats not what I've said, at all. Last post you just wanted to give up and get the hell out. I'm just saying there are still options. And I feel we should explore these options before giving up and running away.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:39 am »

lFight, and, if necessary, die. GM has either planned all this in advance or is seriously trying to kill us. Either way, we are not letting him anywhere near Cerulean.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #760 on: September 03, 2013, 12:59:04 am »

"I'm not going to let you through," you reply calmly, your eyes narrowing as you call forth from the nothingness your trademark weapon. A staff of Cogs appears from thin air, colored silver. "I'm really not going to let you past this point, Hero," you snarl. "German, leave," you state to your momentary side-kick, who takes the cue to growl at the man before retreating for the last room.

"Now then," you point your silver staff at Knighthowl. "Let me correct you on one thing," you add as you twirl your staff. "It is not Chemista who is the Overlord here," you slam your staff on the ground as the bits and pieces of metal around you start to float and condense, "It is I."
A silver and copper construct twice the size of a human is built within an instant from the scraps around your form, bellowing a terrifying cry of rage as it opens and closes its claws and shows its pointy steel teeth.

Knighthowl growls, his eyes narrowing.

His sword comes down, pointed at you.
"Stop lying! There can only be one Overlord, and it is not you!"

"Of course it's not him," Chemista states plainly, slowly sliding into the room from one of the pipes. "Well, technically it is him, but really...did the ink enter your nose so much you can't recognize your dear friend, THE Hero?"
"What?" that question is asked both by your shocked mouth and by Knighthowl.
"Of course he doesn't remember anything, but that's beyond the point." Chemista rolls her eyes. "I'd like to say that I wanted him to become a slaughterer of innocents because, really, he does fit the part quite well doesn't he?" she chuckles. "But the fact is, I didn't. That wasn't my intention."
"YOU LIE!" Knighthowl roars.
"Ah, yes," Chemista nods slowly. "That is the reason I didn't kill THE Hero when I had him at my mercy." She smiles bitterly. "Tell me, Incognito [Ink], before calling me out as an evil, horrible, Overlord who removed your memories and made you into his successor, let me ask you...what do you think of the HEROES now? When I first asked you that question...when I first told you how you all really were, you just said I was lying," her chuckle grew raspy. "In the end, however, you proved yourself more bloody than even I have ever been. How does it feel?"
"Was this all to tell me the Heroes association was...wrong?" you ask, your eyes darting from her to Knighthowl, who seems keener on waiting it out.
Your conjured Golem stands at the ready.
"No, of course not," Chemista snorts. "It would need a bit of a general background information though, and I'm more than happy to oblige," smiling, Chemista slinks further closer to you. "You think I always was a Goo-Girl? There's a reason I hate that imbecile of a Casternews, you know? There's a reason I prefer monsters to humans," she eyes Knighthowl wearily, "At least, some monsters more than other."
"You're stalling for time!" Knighthowl roars.
"I'm still here, Knighthowl," Chemista clicks her tongue, "Let an old lady have her last talk, would you?"
She turns her head towards you.

"I admit, our last battle was quite entertaining. You raided my lair, armed with your creations...you were known as 'The Silver Mechanism' back in those times. Ah, I admit, the battle dragged on for a while before you pulled out your last chance attack and tore apart the ship we were fighting on. I managed to escape, obviously, and you nearly ended up dead. Knighthowl there was in your party, but busy as he was with one of my own Dark Advisors, he could not intervene."
"You cannot be serious," Knighthowl growled, his eyes moving to stare at yours. "You cannot," this time his voice is a murmur.

"You were such a boisterous young thing, armed with ideals and 'Justice is Good' or 'Good is Justice', sometimes you even yelled 'Let the Righteous smite the evil down' and so forth," Chemista's smile is lukewarm now, "Such a naive way of thinking," she hissed. "Such a stupid, stupid way of thinking."
She slowly begins to slink her way around you. "So, with everything I had destroyed, with the need to lay low and you floating around...I decided to do something smart. I didn't have much Mindium left, but what little I had I used. Not to mind control you, no, that would have made my point moot! What little I had I used to completely erase all of your memories. Then, I trained you as my successor."

She slowly takes her position to the side of both you and Knighthowl, forming the head of a triangle with the way you three are disposed.

"Because I wanted to show you the horrors of the Hero association...and you wouldn't have listened to me otherwise!" she snarls. "That's the problem with you heroes...unless someone slams your face against reality, you keep on living off in your fantasy land of goodness and justice. Monsters are just monsters to be killed, torturing them is a sick show, and so on...if you become a Hero, then you're immediately exalted as a noble example...but if you are not a hero, then you are automatically a monster!" Chemista roars. "And the television will portray you as such! Never mind the lab accident that might have caused your mutation! Never mind the way you avoid harming anyone! You can't even go buy the groceries, that the lady you knew for years will show you the door!"

With heated words, Chemista ends her tirade. "And the only reason I'm saying all this is simple, really. You want your memories back, THE Hero? Why don't you just let Knighthowl capture you and bring you back? Of course, they'll blame me for corrupting your mind. You'll go through the Asylum for a few days and then come out as the example of Righteousness you were in the beginning! I'm sure the puppy here will be very happy!" she snarls pointing at the Heroic Hero, who growls back.
"But I'm not going to let you run from this choice," she adds with a bitter and hollow laugh. "The Zeppelin is gone. There's Psysquid aboard, and whoever else managed to escape his slaughter," she eyes Knighthowl. "I'm leaving the call to you. Are you THE Hero...or are you Incognito [Ink], the Evil Overlord?"

"Don't listen to her!" Knighthowl yells then. "Silver, don't listen to her," his tone is surprisingly warm now. "She's a monster. They lie and they betray whenever they want," Chemista snorts. "She's using you! She's mind controlling you! Please don't listen to her! The HEROES association can help you get back into the light! Let us kill this Overlord and be gone from here!"

"As a side note," Chemista says plainly, "Know that Knighthowl never won a single spar against THE Hero."

Her right hand forms a blob of viscous green goo. "And I have my own tricks, in case you decide to keep on fighting on the Good Side...I will not make it easy."

You look to Knighthowl, and then you look to Chemista.
You clench your staff as your Golem waits behind you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who do you choose?

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

"What?" that question is asked both by your shocked mouth

We really shouldn't be shocked by this. We first suspected Chemista might be playing memory games twenty eight pages ago, and a couple of us called this very specific scenario of us having been the hero.

Heroic Heroes bonus are on the +12 scale.
The Overlord/THE Hero are on the +14

Then why was Knighthowl getting +22, and why did we only get +8 even when we were Overlord+Chemista+Cerulean?

Who do you choose?

I think we need to find a way to take a third option

Unfortunately, Chemista is right. We've seen how the heroes act here. We've seen what they do in the asylum , and we've seen them make a show out of torturing children on television. I don't really want to go back to being one. I would like to get our memories back. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that if we go with Knighthowl we won't end up with memory wiping just the same.

Sorry guys...I don't like either option. I propose we leave B-city. Thank Chemista for her revelation. Apologize to Knighthowl. Take Cerulean and retire in the Bahamas.

Live.

This is end-game. If we choose to be the Overlord, we continue to be a tool of Chemista's. If we choose to be the hero, we betray everyone we've come to know since she found us.

Take the third option.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:54 am »

They took our daughter. For that they die. WE ARE INCOGNITO.

Then, we fight Chemista - unless she bends to us completely.

And they hurt my Fluffy  >:(
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 03, 2013, 01:33:39 am »

I shall note that we do have a submarine.

Saying that, we don't have a choice. We annihilated an entire city block. The HEROES league will execute us for doing that. If they don't, well, then that only shows how corrupt they are, and our quest against them is righteous. Same way escaping won't work. They'll hunt us down.

((Try not to kill him, disable if possible.))

Heroic Heroes bonus are on the +12 scale.
The Overlord/THE Hero are on the +14
Then why was Knighthowl getting +22, and why did we only get +8 even when we were Overlord+Chemista+Cerulean?
Special ability stacking, I assume. Besides, the Overlord hasn't been in real combat.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 03, 2013, 01:44:52 am »

Take the third option.

I do not think we can back away from fighting at this moment. The HEROES will hunt us down out of principle, and Knighthowl will sure as hell not let us get away.

Knighthowl, you are a good person, but the society you serve is corrupt to the core. I always stood for equality. I always stood for democracy. What we have now is essentially a racket in the guise of heroes "protecting" everybody from "monsters", who are, inside, as human as as any Homo sapiens. And it's not just genocide my former organisation is guilty of. They brainwash people. They spin webs of elaborate lies to cover the truth. They rule what essentially is a butal dictator state. I am not an evil overlord, but I am fighting agains heroes. I am a revolutionry, Knighthowl. Fighting for the same ideals as I did back then. And Chemista, I realised I must have been a former hero the moment I ordered a wholesale massacre of innocent people, you know, that kind of mentality can only come from that job. Not to mention what you did is the plot of roughly 80% of those cliched B-movies you see on television on Sunday nights.

So, Knighthowl, how about one final spar?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:50:25 am by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 213