Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18339 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - The Death of Walter Corbitt, Aficionado of the Arcane
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2013, 11:24:48 am »

"Why not? You know what to expect now."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:34 am »

"I suppose, but how do you fight a knife? I mean, it's supposed to be a damn inanimate object."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2013, 11:48:40 am »

Relax, begin studying the magic diagrams.

You begin to study "Call The Hunter Who Fades When Satisfied"

One thing you understand right away. Whatever this does you need "A dagger of pure metal" to make it work.

((This will take a many days to learn, and you can't really rush it. The material has to be absorbed as much as read. You'll be done in 2d6 weeks. You can continue playing in the meantime. It will just be assumed that you read and think about it a little more when you have some spare time.))

Relax, begin studying the magic diagrams.
Help on this, see if I know anything of them from my magical background.

It's pretty weird. It seems to call for a prop so to speak, "a dagger of pure metal," and a skimming of some sections seem to detail words to be spoken and gestures to be made. That could fit into either stage magic or occult practices as far as it goes.

But that link doesn't go far. A few purported occult books you've looked at have fairly clear instructions; a dead goat and a magic phrase and there's the Devil. Hardly more difficult than placing a phone call. This isn't like that. 

There are strange diagrams of twisting and interlocking lines, each segment carefully labeled. There are two pages that look almost like equations, accompanying them are drawings of what appear to be optical illusions, geometric shapes that can't exist. It is completely incomprehensible at first, second, and indeed third glance. But it doesn't look like nonsense. It's well ordered and organized.

((If you decide to study it along with him and compare notes I will reduce the time by 1d3 weeks and you will both learn it at the end.

Also for future reference if someone knows a spell they can teach it to a student quickly. At least more quickly than someone can learn one from a book on their own. Mechanically it's a ~40% chance each week to teach someone a spell you know.))

Edit: Amended, after the brief look which I'm not going to retcon, Harvey Jones decides he wants to be secretive and will no longer share the book.

Boganski, upon noticing the other two start examining a book and having little better to do himself, decides to take a crack at it himself.

Take a look at diagrams, though purely on an aesthetic level without seeking comprehension. After all, this is nonsense at best and actively harmful at worst.

"Perhaps if Corbitt is buried in house, we dig up corpse and dispose of it? Or burn it? Hopefully would improve something."

There's something about a dagger, and what may be a chant. There are strange diagrams of twisting and interlocking lines, each segment carefully labeled. There are two pages that look almost like equations, accompanying them are drawings of what appear to be optical illusions, geometric shapes that can't exist. Every word and line is drawn with exacting precision. It's a bit weird aesthetically, one page will look like some sort of witchcraft nonsense, the next like a mathematical proof.

Pierre walks towards the rest of the group and stands next to Boganski.

"We could just skip digging up the corpse and burn the entire house. It would be easier." He says, shrugging.

Look at the diagrams, see if anything comes to mind.

The diagrams themselves are baffling. From the name of the spell...or whatever, and a few paragraphs of fairly plain English it seems to be instructions for interacting with some sort of creature.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:34:23 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2013, 01:04:39 pm »

Continue reading but don't allow anyone else to see the book.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

"No matter the state of things, we must not rely on foolish witchcraft to solve it - consorting with such things will prove either worthless or hindering in the task, considering that ill-considered witchcraft is what presumably caused it. What is the plan now? I suggest we go back and into the basement - it is likely to be the root of the problems at hand. That is, unless any of you have better ideas."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:45 pm »

Continue reading but don't allow anyone else to see the book.

It is so noted, Harvey Jones will no longer share Corbitt's diary or the spell contained therein.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2013, 09:15:23 pm »

"No matter the state of things, we must not rely on foolish witchcraft to solve it - consorting with such things will prove either worthless or hindering in the task, considering that ill-considered witchcraft is what presumably caused it. What is the plan now? I suggest we go back and into the basement - it is likely to be the root of the problems at hand. That is, unless any of you have better ideas."
Follow him, since the other guy won't let me help.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:33 am »

((Bump?))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »

((Rescuing it from page 4. I'd love to run a turn, you guys are nearing the end I think and I'm not busy today. :) ))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2013, 02:58:07 pm »

Erm... head to the house, then. Take the magician with me. He looks competent and fearless enough.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »

Follow Boganski. Be on guard for flying daggers. Once again promote the idea of burning the house down

((sorry if I haven't been posting enough. Uni starts again tomorrow and I've been kinda busy))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »

Erm... head to the house, then. Take the magician with me. He looks competent and fearless enough.
Darn straight I am. Just make sure I put Cheddar somewhere safe, first.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »

((sorry if I haven't been posting enough. Uni starts again tomorrow and I've been kinda busy))

((No problem. Real life always has to come first. At least once a week would be fantastic though if you can manage it. I don't know about everyone else, but I start forgetting what's going on once the update interval hits about 2 weeks.))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Back to the Corbitt House
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:22 am »

Follow Boganski. Be on guard for flying daggers. Once again promote the idea of burning the house down

Darn straight I am. Just make sure I put Cheddar somewhere safe, first.

It's now Wednesday evening and the three of you arrive back at the house, having first stopped off to leave Jackson's precious rabbit in more safety than you allow yourselves.

The Corbitt Place, as you now think of it, seems even more withdrawn and gloomy in the gathering shadows of evening. The small-paned windows stare shockingly, as if blinking through a lethal stupor which wards off madness by dulling the memory of unutterable things.

((Patrick Hunts/Harvey Jones's presence is retconable just start from the assumption you went too if you want to have gone.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Back to the Corbitt House
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2013, 09:29:19 am »

Step inside. Door's still gone, right? Check if windows are still unbolted and if the house hasn't changed in any obvious way.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14