Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18335 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - A Wild Backstory Appeared!
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2013, 12:29:24 am »

((Yeah, I'm done.))

Go back, get Cheddar, find a place to sleep.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - The Dairy of Walter Corbitt
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:28 am »

Go and sleep. Wake up early tomorrow, and continue research on the Jones family - well, the particular Jones family who lived in the house. Any records of their activities or origins?

((Retcon here, i missed something in my notes.))

Yesterday you did find an obituary for a Jones at 20 Copps Hill. It was for a young man named Alfred, 19 years old. Eldest son of Mr and Mrs Jedidiah Jones. The report says that he committed suicide with a kitchen knife on February 12, 1914.

The morning comes and you get back to work. You see Fortesque in the library flipping through endless newspaper back issues.

You find a marriage certificate for a Mr Jedidiah Jones to a Miss Janet Dye dated 1893. But nothing further in either the library or city records.

It's possible they moved out of town, or simply never did anything noteworthy after the tragedy. From your other information you know the house was briefly rented to a Mr Bogart later in 1914. Then foreclosed four years later in 1918 prior to purchase by your employer.

Read the final diary.

That night your dreams are disturbed by what you've read. They're filled with strange chants, dark figures and things in the darkness you can never quite see.

In the morning you pick it up the last volume. It goes fairly quickly because some sections are damaged and illegible. At last you've read all the entries and made notes of what seem to be the most relevant sections. Finally it's done.

(San Loss 1d4 = 1) You find the accounts of strange ceremonies, bizarre experiments, and descriptions of inhuman intelligences manifesting themselves unsettling but handle it pretty well.

Look up information about court cases involving corbitt

Eventually the library closes, so you leave for the night and come back in the morning.

(2) You spend about four hours in the library archive examining item after item but turn up nothing useful this time.

((Yeah, I'm done.))

Go back, get Cheddar, find a place to sleep.

You get back in time to pick up Cheddar. You sleep until morning.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:41:39 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - The Diary of Walter Corbitt
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2013, 10:18:12 am »

Excerpts from the diary of Walter Corbitt Esq.

--------------Volume 1---------------

March the Twelfth, 1808

A tome was found while digging up ye subjects. Perusing this text promises a studious practitioner the opportunity to converse with a most powerful and wise being not of this world. While I remain skeptical, I must knowe what secrets lie in this long-forgotten volume.

September the Eighth, 1808

The time is right. Months spent deciphering the meanings and intricacies of this folio have finally shown their worth.

September the Ninth, 1808

Last night will forever be printed upon my mind. At the clock’s ring of midnight, my closest colleagues and I set forth upon calling that which we read of in the old tome. The ritual called for the blood of 3 willing individuals, let by the same blade. I am, as of yet, unable to remove the stain of our shared sacrifice from it's surface.

We spoke the words written, and bent our minds to their meanings and the impossible geometries they described. For a moment I thought it was all for nothing. Then with suddenness I felt as if I were standing on the brink of an infinity of nothingness. Then the Dark Man was in our midst. Thus I shall call him, for his is an all over blackness more than any African, as though light itself dares not touch him. His mere presence caused Amelie Hooper, wife of Benjamin, to let out a shriek. In other circumstances I would remark how unfitting such behavior is amongst society. But I must admit so startling and strange was the experience that I almost cried out in fear as well. As quickly as the Dark Man arrived, he had vanished back into the lightless void from which he appeared. I must contact him again.

December the Fourteenth, 1808

My studies continue, some of my colleagues say I overreach and would hold me back. But they can do nothing. To whom would they make complaint? If the public were to learn of this tome, or of the nature of our weekly ceremonies, they would surely try to kill us all. Our knowledge will remain secret, for the present.

-----------Vol 2---------------

March the Third, 1820

The Brotherhood grows. We have begun construction of a meeting place. Our frequent gatherings will attract little attention if conducted openly in a place such as the Christian congregations and the common fraternal orders use.

June the Seventeenth, 1820

Construction is nearly completed and continues apace. The place is to be termed the Chapel Of Contemplation.

February the Twenty Second, 1821

In studying the tome I have discovered “Rigor Vitae”. Upon first study, Rigor Vitae appears to be a method to keep flesh from wearing through the vigors of mortal time. I suspect, though, that it may also be used as protection in the unlikely event that peril may strike me.

November the Thirtieth, 1835

Henry Webber has recently built a house on 20 Copp's Hill As it is a short walk from the Church, I wish to possess the estate and will take steps to do so.

December the Seventh, 1835

Henry Webber has fallen ill. I am quite certain there will be no recovery. I write this as I leave to purchase the deed to 20 Copp's Hill.

March the thirteenth, 1847

The congregation of the Chapel of Contemplation is growing in number. Amongst our new members is Daniel Ellsworth and his son Peter. Daniel is head of the City Council. His influence is sure to be invaluable in the future. Also we have been converting various outcasts and vagrants willing to perform menial and abhorrent duties. I pray that the Granter of Secrets is pleased.

--------------Volume 3----------------

December the Eighth, 1851

Our Granter of Secrets has revealed to me a ritual that will manifest “the hunter who, once satisfied, fades.” My dagger, which spilt the blood of myself and 2 others to first summon Our Lord, must be used again.

((Complicated instructions follow. Some of the diagrams almost give you a headache to look at. They will take (2d6) weeks of your spare time to understand and require the original volume, they're too complex to copy.))

March the Twelfth, 1852

It has been forty-four years since I first discovered the ancient tome that has led me to such great power.  Our Lord Granter of Secrets has revealed to me the process to become that which is more than Man. I will become immortal and command my own loyal subjects.

((There is some damage for several pages after this entry, their contents illegible))

May the Twenty Fifth, 1853

Those ignorant fools! If they knew who I was, they wouldn’t dare speak a disparaging word in my direction, let alone file a lawsuit against me. I was tempted to send The Hunter for them in their sleep, but their case has failed. It is enough.

May the Nineteenth, 1866

The plan is going splendidly. I rarely need to make an example. Very few times, however, I have forced a follower to Obey Thy Master’s Will. After only four stern commands was I able to turn the new minister Michael Thomas to my cause. He will carry out the plan, out of fear if nothing else.

June the Twentieth, 1866

I reach the end of this life. Many of my peers do not understand what is to come, which is just as well. Soon I will cross the threshold to everlasting life and power! The plans are set, my will is writ and Thomas named executor. I mustn’t tarry, for the beginning of my transformation is at hand.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2013, 10:20:18 am »

Share findings with Fortescue.

"Found out house owners - in order, Henry Webber, Walter Corbitt, the LeDeux family, the Jones family, a Mr. Bogart and then Mr. Reeve. LeDeux, immigrants, both died by misadventure in 1890, Jones family eldest son killed self with kitchen knife. Much tragedy in the house, apparently."

Then look up both Henry Webber and this Mr. Bogart in the library first, then the archives.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:27:58 am by Harry Baldman »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »

Meet up with other team members.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

((I'll get to you when the others post Harry. Your guy is busy researching, I'm just confirming that mastah here walks to the library in the morning like you already did.))

Meet up with other team members.

You get up a bit late on Wednesday and decide to check in with your fellow investigators.

At least two of them said they would be researching at the library or city clerk's offices which are located on the same street. That seems like the best place to go.

After a short journey you arrive and find Fortesque researching Walter Corbitt, one of the first residents of the house, he's found an odd news story about him and is looking for more. Meanwhile Boganski is working his way through the list of later residents and has come to the final names on the list.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »

"good work. But 'misadventure? sounds suspicious as hell to me. Maybe we should go back to where this all began....."

Broaden searches to both corbitt cases and anything involving Henry Webber

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2013, 12:24:16 pm »

Tell them about the crazy guy I heard about from the paper salesman, then help with their research.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - The Death of Walter Corbitt
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2013, 10:25:03 am »

Share findings with Fortescue.

"Found out house owners - in order, Henry Webber, Walter Corbitt, the LeDeux family, the Jones family, a Mr. Bogart and then Mr. Reeve. LeDeux, immigrants, both died by misadventure in 1890, Jones family eldest son killed self with kitchen knife. Much tragedy in the house, apparently."

Then look up both Henry Webber and this Mr. Bogart in the library first, then the archives.

Henry Webber was apparently a somewhat noteworthy person in his day. In the old newspapers there are occasional mentions of him, even a few advertisements for his import/export business. It all seems normal for a succesful merchant. There is no hint of scandal, unsavory behavior, or unusual tragedy in his life. Other than his sudden illness in 1835 anyway.

There is no information about Mr Boggart at all. He seems to have made no impression on the newspapers, nor did his time in Boston generate any birth, death or marriage records at the Clerk's office.

After a long day of research it is once again evening and the library and city offices close.

It's evening on Wednesday, what do you do?

((btw Patrick Hunt hasn't posted in a few days but I'm going to assume his Harvey Jones guy showed/shows up at some point and shares his notes on Corbitt's dairy. So you have that knowledge IC.))

"good work. But 'misadventure? sounds suspicious as hell to me. Maybe we should go back to where this all began....."

Broaden searches to both corbitt cases and anything involving Henry Webber

Tell them about the crazy guy I heard about from the paper salesman, then help with their research.

The pair of you scour the remaining sections of the archive and are rewarded with two more stories about Corbitt.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After a long day of research it is once again evening and the library and city offices close.

It's evening on Wednesday, what do you do?

((btw Patrick Hunt hasn't posted in a few days but I'm going to assume his Harvey Jones guy showed/shows up at some point and shares his notes on Corbitt's dairy. So you have that knowledge IC.))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:28:02 am by Joben »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - The Death of Walter Corbitt, Aficionado of the Arcane
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:03 am »

Relax, begin studying the magic diagrams.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:29 am »

Relax, begin studying the magic diagrams.
Help on this, see if I know anything of them from my magical background.
The Derail Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2013, 05:50:32 am »

Boganski, upon noticing the other two start examining a book and having little better to do himself, decides to take a crack at it himself.

Take a look at diagrams, though purely on an aesthetic level without seeking comprehension. After all, this is nonsense at best and actively harmful at worst.

"Perhaps if Corbitt is buried in house, we dig up corpse and dispose of it? Or burn it? Hopefully would improve something."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2013, 10:26:20 am »

Pierre walks towards the rest of the group and stands next to Boganski.

"We could just skip digging up the corpse and burn the entire house. It would be easier." He says, shrugging.

Look at the diagrams, see if anything comes to mind.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2013, 10:28:12 am »

"Impractical - burning drops property value too much. Improving value what we're there for."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:12 am »

He shrugs "whatever you want, just don't expect me to go into the basement again."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14