Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267648 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2013, 09:20:29 am »

After a long period of deliberation, getting things in order and such, return to the factory to comply with the book entity's wish. Also, perhaps text Kat or something to inform her of that.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2013, 03:29:00 am »

”Oh, hey dude. Uh. Glad I didn’t kill you in nudist potato hell, man. So, uh, we’re in the factory where the leyline’s meant to be, and the two girls went home. I think they might have thought I was using potatoes to get them naked, ‘cause that’s kind of what happened, so  I wouldn’t blame them if they thought that’s what it looked like… Anyway, you should be careful. Anyone sees you having just appeared here they might ask questions, but then it’s huge here and I think there’s not even a dozen people.”

Halesey paused for a second to look Larry up and down. How come he went through potato hell and wasn’t naked?

”I had a look around, but I can’t really figure out the leyline thing. I dunno if there should be some kind of ritual or something. I’ve got two ideas left – one is to meditate and feel the power of the book, and the other is to use a bolt of indestructible beans to seek out the power line. You might wanna take cover in case I find it.”

Cast Bolt of Indestructible Beans in a random direction (preferably not at Larry) in the hope that the bolt follows the line of ley power!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2013, 08:27:24 am »

Larry shakes his head.  "Whatever, man- there's power here and I want it."

See if I can track down that ley line.  Don't get beaned.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2013, 08:52:00 am »

Larry, taking a moment to catch his breath, goes once more into a bit of self-reflection, perhaps a holdover from his previous situation of helplessness in a void filled with potatoes.

"If I never see another potato again, it'll be long enough.  I'd say a hearty fuck you for putting me in there, but at least you got me out again.  Thanks."

He supposes that's correct to some degree, if not entirely accurate. At least there was a vortex to swim through thanks to Halesey, anyway.

"Where are we?  Where's everyone else?"

Halesey turns to Larry, disturbed from his tuber contemplation.

”Oh, hey dude. Uh. Glad I didn’t kill you in nudist potato hell, man. So, uh, we’re in the factory where the leyline’s meant to be, and the two girls went home. I think they might have thought I was using potatoes to get them naked, ‘cause that’s kind of what happened, so  I wouldn’t blame them if they thought that’s what it looked like… Anyway, you should be careful. Anyone sees you having just appeared here they might ask questions, but then it’s huge here and I think there’s not even a dozen people.”

He looks over Larry, finding him to be disappointingly clothed, though somewhat scruffy from his potato altercation.

”I had a look around, but I can’t really figure out the leyline thing. I dunno if there should be some kind of ritual or something. I’ve got two ideas left – one is to meditate and feel the power of the book, and the other is to use a bolt of indestructible beans to seek out the power line. You might wanna take cover in case I find it.”

Larry just shakes his head.

"Whatever, man- there's power here and I want it."

Halesey, not overly concerned with this remark, closes his eyes and goes for a spin in place. Still keeping them closed, he points his hand slightly away from Larry and attempts some more magic.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5-1]

A small, bolt-shaped object made of beans shoots out of his palm, flying toward a wall at a high speed and leaving marks quite similar to what he would expect from some sort of rat-shot. They aren't very prominent scratches, his target being a concrete wall, but they're definitely there. In addition, the thing flew straight. That can mean one of two things - magic does not work like electromagnetism at all or he is the luckiest fellow he's ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Larry, quite satisfied that he wasn't on the receiving end of that, tries to track down the leyline. However, he can't really put his finger on where it might be. Things had seemed so much clearer within the potato dimension.

Maybe Halesey has a point about that meditation thing. Isn't that an honestly frightening thought?

Elizabeth, after wondering what to do next, goes with the grand master plan (or at least the only plan that might be in motion right now) and heads back to Import Avenue after sending Kat a quick text to inform her of this choice on her part.

Her rather well-founded fear that the place might have been eaten by some kind of supermassive potato hole proves to not have been justified, as the factory stands, dilapidated yet somewhat reasonably inhabited just like previously.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2013, 09:03:21 am »

”Hum… I thought it might be more… lightning like. Time for meditation, I guess.”

Pick up the beans and pocket them. Lie on the floor, place the randomly opened folder on my face, cross my hands over my chest, and open myself to the tremendous magical power. Not necessarily for new spells, but for the magic inherent in this place.

So… magic… dude. Once I’ve found the leyline – and you said you just need to know what you’re looking for, and I reckon I’ve figured it out that there are… some kind of waves of massive power where we can perform rituals or soak up the power or something – once I’ve found it – or Larry here – then… then I guess we have to come to some kind of agreement with the squatters here. Grant me some more spells if you want dude, but really I want to kind of feel the essence of this place flow through you, if you see what I mean. Course you do, eh. And, hey - you know, there's a woman here, much smarter than all the rest. Suspicious. You wouldn't know her, would ya?

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »

Also meditate

PFP
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2013, 05:48:09 pm »

Also also meditate (in some quiet place)

(this action was entirely random and I apologize)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:36 am »

Now I'd just like Dwarmin to post and we can move this along. Too much action skipping leads to branching timelines and all that.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2013, 02:54:10 am »

Action: Also also also Meditate

((I really have no idea what to do anymore :P ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:28 am »

Halesey, after fetching some indestructible beans, supposes there's little else he can do and tries to meditate his problems away. It hasn't worked a single time before, but hey, there's a first time for everything. He sits down, trying to absorb magic and whatnot.

~So… magic… dude. Once I’ve found the leyline – and you said you just need to know what you’re looking for, and I reckon I’ve figured it out that there are… some kind of waves of massive power where we can perform rituals or soak up the power or something – once I’ve found it – or Larry here – then… then I guess we have to come to some kind of agreement with the squatters here. Grant me some more spells if you want dude, but really I want to kind of feel the essence of this place flow through you, if you see what I mean. Course you do, eh. And, hey - you know, there's a woman here, much smarter than all the rest. Suspicious. You wouldn't know her, would ya?~

~No, not really - nonetheless, do not trust her - people who stare at you are at least 60% more likely to harbor ill intentions toward you.~

Oh. Hm. Well, time to center oneself and all that. He oohms and aahms, hoping to defeat skepticism and all the various noises of the area through sheer persistence. It sorta works, and now he's more empty-headed than usual.

Strangely enough, he does kinda sense something now. Previously, it felt a bit drowned-out in the general white noise of everyday life, but now Halesey feels kind of silly for missing it. There's a big thingy that he can sense, and that is somewhere upwards from here. There's also several smaller thingies, two of them next to him and one not too far from the big thingy.

All of these feel strange, he must say.

Larry, noticing Halesey sitting slack-jawed next to him, also sits down and gets in on the action. For some reason, the presence of Halesey is something he finds disturbingly reassuring, and a meditative state of mind comes shockingly easily to him.

He also becomes aware of something big right above him - not too near, of course, but certainly in an upwards direction. It feels a bit like a second moon for reasons he can't describe, and he becomes mildly anxious thinking about the idea, though why the idea of a second moon disturbs him so, he can't really tell. There's just a sense of atypical wrongness about it, like it shouldn't be there, and yet is anyway, possibly out of spite.

There's also other little dots of something he can feel, but those are smaller and less likely to crush him terribly, he would say. And he's pretty sure two of them are next to him, and he's not dead yet, so they're probably not all that harmful anyway.

Elizabeth, wandering outside the factory, suddenly gets the impulse to meditate. Looking around cautiously, she hides behind a dumpster and sits down. The rain's a bit cold and the wind's a bit uncomfortable, but she is not quite at the point when she would prefer hiding in a half-full dumpster instead of getting a bit wet.

She thinks it's working, too. She hardly even thinks of her earlier misadventures or anything else as she lounges in her corner of the world. Well, aside from that weird thing she can sense from nearby. It feels like a weird ball of something strange, a soft and delicious mystery wrapped in the luminous aluminum foil of a true enigma.

And finally, Kat also chooses to go into a meditative state her desire for recognition satiated as she turns off the police scanner. The peace and quiet helps a lot, and soon she is in the back of her personal headspace, chilling like nobody's business.

What's weird is that she doesn't feel like she's alone, strictly speaking. It feels like someone else is around here. It is a very uncomfortable feeling for Kat for some reason.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2013, 04:49:57 am »

Look for stairs upwards and head up - with stealth! Try to find the strange feeling thing.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2013, 06:09:57 am »

Action: Dive into the mindscape and find out who's riding in my brain.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2013, 11:51:05 am »

(PFP so little formatting))

Larry looked up at Hensly. "Did you feel that too?  Let's check it out."

Check it out

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 01, 2013, 09:09:00 am »

Halesey and Larry, both having felt roughly the same thing, creep around the factory, finding a handy flight of stairs to ascend. It seemed to them like the suspicious pseudo-moon thing was quite a ways above them - certainly more than one floor. They pass one guy on the stairs, but said guy doesn't really seem to take an issue with Larry or Halesey being here.

The two men eventually reach the fourth floor, which seems to be where the factory's former offices are. At least, that's what they guess the place to be - the door leading to the inner workings of the floor seems to be locked, sadly.

Elsewhere, Kat attempts to explore her mindscape, to find what is disturbing her so. However, just as she attempts to find something, it is gone, only the faintest disturbance serving to inform her that something was even there.

All in all, not very encouraging, she must say.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:02:32 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:04 am »

((Can we tell if the disturbance is there or higher up?))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 244