Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Take a penny, leave a penny  (Read 2757 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Take a penny, leave a penny
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:40 am »

Here in the US, there are little trays with pennies near cash registers. The idea is that if you are 1-5 pennies short of your purchase you can take these pennies to make up for it, and likewise, if you don't care about your couple cents change you leave it there for others. Not a week goes by that I don't read a post here about someone who's just 10-50 cents short of buying a game. So I am going to start an experiment.

If you need up to $2.00 to buy a game on steam I will send it to your paypall, or you send what you have to mine and I buy it for you, etc. You get the idea. After you get money again, you repay the amount into the fund plus a little bit to help others. How much extra is up to you and your generosity is what will keep it going. I am opening a new account just for this purpose and seeding it with $20. When it's gone, it's gone. Further, you cannot participate unless you have a paypal account, or are in the US so you can send money directly to the bank account. I am limiting it to $2.00 so we don't end up in some sort of scammer situation. The idea here is that we don't let our friends miss out on sales due to a few cents.

If you do need money, and promise that you have the ability to repay it, PM me with how much you need and where to send it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Take a penny, leave a penny
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:20 am »

Sweet!

This makes perfect sense - I've seen so many people miss out on sales because of this kind of thing. You're amazing for organising this. It'll be a ton of work too...

Good luck!

P.S. Hemmingjay is best Jay!

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:05 am »

I don't even know how to get back into my Paypal or if I need a new one. Good luck with this though.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:18:38 am »

Aren't the fees just going to eat up the funds?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27:37 am »

The fees will occur under certain international circumstances, but are minimal. Because I am funding directly from my bank account and setting a balance, there are no fees to send the money. It's only if there is currency exchanges and then only specific ones. This is because we will be using the gift option and not the exchange for goods and services option. Good question though. Hopefully grateful people will keep fees in mind when they use this. I also do not anticipate a lot of use, just the occasional person in need.

Also, if fees do eat all the money and nobody replaces it, this will simply end. It's an experiment in community relations vs the selfish nature of individuals.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:19 am »

If this starts getting some use would you object to people simply donating funds to keep it going?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:30 am »

If this starts getting some use would you object to people simply donating funds to keep it going?

Yeah, I would never need to actually use the money but would probably be willing to chip in a few bucks just to help out other B12ers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:00:25 pm »

Hey, always willing to spare a couple of bucks to you guys, just be there when I need to get that awesome game that is 3 times the price for us Aussies :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:54 pm »

Great idea!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:43:01 pm »

... Huh, a way to avoid the ridiculous price discrepancies? =o
What a cunning plan.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:15:01 pm »

Reminds me of this.

I like this idea. After I have an income of my own and have enough to safely send to Toady in appreciation for DF and hosting this community, I'll probably contribute.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 03:23:20 am »

What a cunning plan.
Be careful with that. Valve will auto block accounts if they notice suspicious gifting.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »

What a cunning plan.
Be careful with that. Valve will auto block accounts if they notice suspicious gifting.
Suspicious gifting? How would you even determine that?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »

PTW.  I aint got no paypal.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »

Suspicious gifting? How would you even determine that?

Well, someone from (region with sane prices) friends someone from Australia and gives them a game while it's on sale, with no prior correspondence on Steam. It's pretty obvious what happened there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: [1] 2