Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Antivegan  (Read 3593 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Antivegan
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »

Has anyone done as a challenge a no plant fort?  Chopping trees is fine, but no growing plants for food or drinks, subsisting on meat, fish, eggs, milk, cheese and mead?  Pretty much living exactly the opposite of the elves?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antivegan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:17 pm »

It'd be hard to survive on traded booze alone.  Unless you still allow plant gathering, and just forbid growing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »

Modding milk to have a reaction or some other means to make it a drinkable drink would probably make such a fort possible.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:57:37 pm »

A few minutes on google reveals that humans are disgusting creatures that will literally eat anything.

Behold, a dynamic duo of fermented dairy products.

Kumis, an asian beverage made from mare's milk
Mursik, an african fermented milk ...product... made from milk that has been allowed to ferment inside specially prepared gourds.

That you can make alcohol from milk is unsurprising, given that it contains maltos and lactos, as well as glucose sugars. The fat and protien content however, may prove troublesome.

But that's the LAST thing I want to imagine.... inebriated and raucous dwarves that reek of sour milk. Ugh.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:40 pm »

It probably doesn't blend well with the normal vomit and blood a dwarf is covered in either...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:06 pm »

Mead? Dunno how bugged it is, does only 1 beekeeper work at a time still?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »

Beekeeping is a lesson in EXTREME micromanagement, because you also have to watchdog the actual work tasks themselves.

You can have multiple bee keepers, and this "can" increase the rate of production, but it makes the pernicious bug in the beekeeping system more pronounced and agrivated.

Basically, the game does not properly track and lock hives for tasks.

What does this mean?

Urist McBeekeeper decides he wants to collect honey. Sure. No problem. But now there is an "install hive" job. Urist decides that the nearest hive is suitable. However, his fellow beekeeper, Ducim McBeekeeper has decided to harvest that hive for honey!

Does urist do the sensible thing, and pick a different hive to select from, or do the dwarven thing and announce "Install hive cancelled: Job item missing or misplaced"? Oh hell no.

He walks to the hive he was GOING to get bees from, AND STANDS THERE FOREVER.

No announcement. No cancellation. No locking on the hive to stop Ducim from processing it before he gets there. Nothing. Just Urist standing around like a dipshit, looking for a hive that doesn't exist anymore.

The way to fix it? Use the U menu to check the building that issued to the collect live bees/install hive job, then cancel it manually. This causes Urist to re-evaluate where to get bees from.

The more keepers you have "tending" hives, the more they will derail each other, and screw up bee keeping, and the more you have to spend time just holding their little deformed hands to manage their workflow for them.

Beekeeping can produce a LOT of honey, and thus mead, if you manage it carefully. (Especially if you mod bumblebees to be installable! The you can double the hiveboxes on the map!) The problem is that it makes getting a root canal seem pleasurable, when trying to make it work.

Urist will literally die of thirst or hunger, looking for the hive that doesn't exist anymore, if you don't intervene.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »

I didn't know this about the honey industry.  Maybe this idea will be less likely to induce overseer tantrums in a future version.

Regarding traded booze, how frequent is mead as a trade good?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:37 am »

It's not traded at all unless you sell it to others.

EDIT: You know what, I'm going to try this, and see if I can't figure out how to make a milk processing reaction so booze is less of an issue.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 01:51:43 am »

Two minor notes on the stuck beekeeper problem:
just to clarify, the wonky job must be cancelled by toggling the 'c' option on the hive that issued the order. Switch to 'do not install', then back to 'install colony when ready'. _Nothing else_ will properly get rid of the screwed-up job.
Beekeepers won't actually starve/dehydrate, they'll abort the installation job when they're past the normal hunger/thirst thresholds. But if you don't clear up those jobs it means one beekeeper per broken hive will spend its entire time standing in one spot counting grass blades.

There's a 'too many hives' note that shows up whenever you have over 40 occupied hives. I don't know what it actually does (it says something about 'reduced output', which suggests honey gets produced at a slower rate or something like that); but it may well be that the effective maximum for beekeeping is forty hives.

I'm also not sure of the production speed of hives - in dry/hot biomes, i was getting frequencies of about three seasons per harvest. Considering one harvest produces _one_ honey which converts to five mead, while a single dwarf consumes about four drink per season, it should be hard to provide enough booze even for twenty dwarfs with a full battery of hives.

Yeah, for a booze source that makes a kind of real-world sense and can keep a fort supplied to any degree, you'll probably need to mod fermented milk.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:54 am »

If you mod bumblebees to be installable, you can have 80 hive boxes. The 40 box limit is PER honey producing species. I know, because I routinely poked bumblebees to be installable.  Considered modding in honeypot ants as another installable, but thought better of it.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:39:30 am »

Isn't it possible to burrow beekeepers around an assigned beehive to avoid the multiple beekeeper problem entirely?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:37 am »

That would probably make that even worse.

It isnt just one keeper taking a hive for  honey that causes the problem, it is also keepers looking for hives that are ready to be split.

The logic for choosing which hive to use for a given task seems to be "Which one is closest, and suitable", but that isn't gospel. Since hives arent tracked or locked by tasks properly, dwarves can all race to the same wild hive location, or split hivebox, after another dwarf collects it for bees.

Since the hives are not locked or tracked correctly, i dont really know if burrow restrictions would be beneficial. they may be very deleterious, or even expose other anomalous behaviors. (Like burrow restricting a moody dwarf away from the workshop he has claimed before begins construction on an artifact)

Sounds like a good science experiment, but I think what will happen is that Urist will STILL want to pick hive boxes that are outside his burrow for doing install colony jobs.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:36 am »

For me the main problem with mead is that you can't set pressing honeycombs to auto like web collecting or tallow processing.
This means you have to watch for every harvest and personally queue the job, which gets frustrating as number of honeycombs usually fluctuates near zero.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:01:37 am »

I saw a while back a mod that adds reactions to create alcoholic beverages from animal blood and extracts which I suppose would be useful for such a fort.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5