Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1009998 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14565 on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:19 am »

You act like no one will try to minmax their stats anyways. It's a symptom of playing games where you can control your stats. It doesn't matter if the game suddenly has more focused stats.

Yes people will minmax their stats. That's a fact of playing RPGs since people like to feel powerful/useful. But the old system was definitely too big on the max and small on the min. It was way too easy to create untouchable characters that would take turns to kill. Now you actually have to make decisions when minmaxing, since all of the stats are more equally useful. If you want to be more tanky something else has to suffer, and that's perfectly fine.

And your point is? People will just end up doing it again. Nothing will change except things getting more complicated for GMs. We do not need this overly complicated system.

How is comparing stats and rolling any more complicated then what we have now? And if people do it again so what? At least we tried to fix things instead of complaining like usual.

We do not need this overly complicated system.

Don't make me break out my SRW formulas. Those things are way more complicated than this simple system.

No mana? Having mana is so useful that not having any left is very disadvantageous

We should probably rename mana to special or something like that. So it'd cover ICARUS's battery and Persona powers and things like that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:44:05 am by USEC_OFFICER »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: May 31, 2014, 10:43:51 am »

I don't think we need it since the old system was working fine. I don't want to completely remake a character using a new sheet for no good reason like this.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:07 am »

so, ignoring KJ non-constructive complaints, we still need to work out how magic works in this system, and possibly while at it, maybe try and iron out the magic affinities that I scetched up the other day

before we can get to the next point - going through the abilities of our characters, fit them into the system, and give them clear limits as to what they can do and what not

edit: also kyle, no reason? You might not feel like the system needed fixing, but everyone else did. Again, as GWG said, it's a majority thing. When the large majroity is unhappy with the system, the system needs to be changed, even if that inconveniences the few who don't think it needs fixing. We will have a vote on that
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: May 31, 2014, 10:47:40 am »

Fuck off.
I'm out.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: May 31, 2014, 10:49:37 am »

*sigh* Why are people so stubborn all the time?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: May 31, 2014, 10:52:47 am »

well, I did say we would have a vote on it. I just proposed the system and so far, feedback has been positive. if there are any things that still need fixing then I am glad to hear it and will try. But just putting a smiley sticker over the engine repair signal does not mean the engine no onger needs fixing. Maybe v3 is just incompatible with Kyle, that's a shame, but come on now. So far he has been against every change that was proposed, while everyone else agrees that change of some sort is needed.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:23 am »

Fuck off.
I'm out.

I'm politely sorry to see you leave. And that's all I'll say on the matter.

*sigh* Why are people so stubborn all the time?

Personality, basic human nature... It's obviously nothing unusual.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: May 31, 2014, 10:59:29 am »

now then folks, how big should a manapool be?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: May 31, 2014, 11:02:12 am »

It depends on how much it costs to use the abilities based off of the mana pool, obviously. If it's just 1 point for each of them then the pool should be small. If the cost is larger, 1~3 then the pool needs to be bigger. Personally I'm still thinking that part over, so I have no idea right now.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: May 31, 2014, 11:03:12 am »

well, the cost should be flexible, to better differentiate between smaller and bigger uses of mana.

Anyway, we still have plenty time, more feedback and ideas are always welcome. let us know what you think, only together we can make the best possible system
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:44:03 am by Akroma »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: May 31, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »

it may be best if you wait a bit with joining, we are currently undergoing plannings for a major change in system and current setting. Please wait warmly for version 3

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: May 31, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »

Ok
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: May 31, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »

With the mana system we have I feel like we have the potential for a lot of creativity and fun stuff. So instead of forcing people to only doing certain things with mana I'd rather provide a list of generic spells/commands/whatever, and at character creation let people pick which ones they want as well as letting them make up their own (within reason of course). The generic mana boosted things would provide a framework for the power/costs of the custom commands, and so hopefully they won't be so OP with everyone scrutinizing characters more.

So the generic list of commands would be something like:

Alert (1): Guaranteed to dodge the next attack aimed at you.
Strike (2): Will automatically hit with your next attack.
Valour (3): Deal double damage before defense is applied.
Guts (2): Heal half of your HP.

etc. etc. While custom commands would be like:

Summon Minor X (2): Summon a minor ally to help you.
Overcharge (2): Increase your evasion by some amount until the start of your next turn.
Daunt (5): Reduce enemy defenses by half until the end of your next turn.

So... If 5 is the average per stat then I think that you should get 2 points of mana per point in the appropriate stat. That's probably a bit too generous with the mana, though that depends on how quickly it regens and how long dungeons are.

Still thinking about the specifics/affinities of the magic system though.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: May 31, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »

Let's see for an example character. After running a few mathatons, I'm upping health to 6 hp per point, and mana gets 2 points per point of mana.

As for uses of abilities, I am proposing to sort them into negliable, small, medium and big. Negliable uses are mostly flavours, like Nuriel stylishly igniting a cigarette would certainly cost no mana, but also standard magical attacks during combat. Small tasks cost 1 mana, and require no roll. Medium tasks need to roll at least a 3 to be succesful, or have a small drawback, and cost 2 mana. Big tasks need to roll at least a 6 to succeed, or a 3 and have a small drawback, or no roll but at a bigger drawback, and cost 3 mana, and require at least a mag of 9. Even bigger feats of magic become avaiable with a mag stat of 12 and 15, and progress similarly. Each character sheet should provide examples of what magnitude we are talking about in each class, and the GM should look over that carefully. In terms of damage, a neglieable mag attack just rolls with mag as damage, then mag*2, mag*3 etc, or increase number of targets an AoE can cover etc etc.

example drawbacks could be an attack dealing a bit (a d3 for small, d6 for medium?) damage to the caster, the caster being immobile (gets auto hit) while casting, a turn of charging, higher mana costs etc. It provides ample amount to differentiate characters from eachother.

I am thinking, if you guys think it might be a good idea, of allowing the addition of extra drawbacks to a spell to reduce mana costs.

anyway, here's an example character

Icarus (Independant Comabd And Rescue Utility System)

[backstory here once I get to writing the thing]

Stats (80)

Health: 10 - 60 HitPoints
Mana: 9 - 18 Mana
Speed: 13 (14)
Skill: 12
Strength: 9
Mag: 9
Defence: 12
Resistance: 6

Perk (I guess they carry over): Brisk - Speed roll is increased by +1

Ability: Overdrive. Icarus sends energy into her systems to for a short time, greatly increase her combat abilities. Not all stats can be buffed, details in backstory. Because her current body (any ideas for names?) is not the high tech military hardware she used to pilot, her abilities are currently locked at minor acts, until the ICARUS-05 (medium) and/or the HYDRA-01 (big) have been attained

Negliable: Sensors. Unless whatever Icarus is scanning is actively shielded against scans, her Sensors can gather a large amount of information hidden to the naked eye. [locked]: Flight.

Small: Doubling of a single stat, increase by 1.5 of two stats. (TN: No roll, cost 1 mana)

Medium: Tripling of a single stat, doubling of two stats, increase by 1.5 of 3 stats (TN:3, cost 2 mana)

Big: etc (TN:3, minor drawback - deals d3 damage to body, cost 3 mana)

higher levels will be statted when they become avaiable.

This is an example of the magic system I propose, and the way Icarus for example would be using it. As for affinities, someone else should think that up, as unless Icaurs is equipped with special ammo or weaponry, her damage is just plain old physical damage. The current body is still weak to lightning, but is not fire resistant, with all the latex skin and all. The ICARUS-05, as we have it, lightning weak, fire resistant. The HYDRA-01, when we ever get to that, fire resistant, weak to the divine.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:31:16 pm by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1030