Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1011823 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #10965 on: April 08, 2014, 06:54:38 am »

Exactly. Why do people eat certain types of food according to their taste? Because they like the food. Why do people who enjoy rollercoasters wait in lin for hours to ride a rollercoaster? Because they enjoy riding on rollercoasters. Why do most people fight for their lives when in danger? Because they like living. That's pretty much it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: April 08, 2014, 06:59:10 am »

Honestly, The whole Seham plot was a bit hamfisted and poorly executed. Yeah, The players screwed it up. Thats the major rule of gming. Next, how about we put that whole thing behind us and instead Rp some before I start my plot.

As for the meaning of Life. What meaning? Any that scientists came up with are stupid. Life is what you make it.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: April 08, 2014, 07:00:19 am »

Life is shipping.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:12 am »

Exactly. Why do people eat certain types of food according to their taste? Because they like the food. Why do people who enjoy rollercoasters wait in lin for hours to ride a rollercoaster? Because they enjoy riding on rollercoasters. Why do most people fight for their lives when in danger? Because they like living. That's pretty much it.
Assuming you ignore all the reasons people really have to do those things.
The like specific kinds of food for the taste, or because they're healthy, or because it makes them feel like they're supporting some cause or another.
People wait in line for rollercoasters because they're andrenaline junkies, stubborn, and/or stupid.
People fight for their lives when in danger...well, yes, because they like living, but there are reasons for that beyond the circular logic you're trying to imply is there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:25 am »

To be frank, those plots were atrocious in my opinion. Your plot is better. But to be superior to something atrocious does not mean that it's good either.
I never said it was. I'm just saying...if no one else's Evil Plans get complained about, why mine?
Because there's had more pressing parts to complain about. If @Ragnarok's plot didn't get into all the system and lore problems, people probably would have. It's just that it had far more controversial parts to it.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:45 am »

Assuming you ignore all the reasons people really have to do those things.
They like specific kinds of food for the taste, or because they're healthy, or because it makes them feel like they're supporting some cause or another.
People wait in line for rollercoasters because they're andrenaline junkies, stubborn, and/or stupid.
People fight for their lives when in danger...well, yes, because they like living, but there are reasons for that beyond the circular logic you're trying to imply is there.
They like specific kinds of food for the taste, or because they're healthy, or because it makes them feel like they're supporting some cause or another.
Yeah. Specifics still support my claim here. They eat the food because they like it because of [reason].
Again, the specifics here boil down to 'because they enjoy the experience of riding on rollercoasters'.
Which specific ones for this scenario?
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: April 08, 2014, 07:08:40 am »

Life is meaningless. People assign it meaning in accordance to their beliefs.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:42 am »

Technically life is for the purpose of makng more life, but I think we're discussing semantics.
Sig! Onol

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: April 08, 2014, 07:13:09 am »

I'm with Empiricist on the meaning of Life.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: April 08, 2014, 07:15:03 am »

I am with me on the meaning of life. :D

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: April 08, 2014, 07:15:29 am »

Technically life is for the purpose of makng more life, but I think we're discussing semantics.
I wouldn't argue that to be a purpose, but rather something that life tends to develop that allows it to proliferate enough in noticeable quantities. After all in a population of lifeforms, the ones that do create more life will dominate the population simply due to their replication rather than any innate purpose, hence, this apparent principle may be effectively illusionary.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: April 08, 2014, 07:16:06 am »

I wouldn't argue that to be a purpose, but rather something that life tends to develop that allows it to proliferate enough in noticeable quantities. After all in a population of lifeforms, the ones that do create more life will dominate the population simply due to their replication rather than any innate purpose, hence, this apparent principle may be effectively illusionary.
So you're agreeing with me?
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: April 08, 2014, 07:17:39 am »

Actually, I'm disagreeing with the idea that life is technically for its own proliferation. It is a mechanical tendency, not a purpose. I prefer not to assign a "purpose" as it implies that there was an intent in the creation of it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: April 08, 2014, 07:21:28 am »

Yeah. Specifics still support my claim here. They eat the food because they like it because of [reason].
...Your point was basically saying that the only meaning for life was circular. My point was that there are non-circular reasons for all those things you're talking about. The [reason] makes it non-circular. It completely destroys your point.

Again, the specifics here boil down to 'because they enjoy the experience of riding on rollercoasters'.
...Only if you try to force it to fit that view, and strip off all the other stuff that doesn't fit your point.

Which specific ones for this scenario?
All of them. "Fighting for your life" means that you lose all of them if you don't.
Besides, I could write a multi-volume treatise on the subject and you'd just boil it down to "It's because they think life is good".

Life is meaningless. People assign it meaning in accordance to their beliefs.
You are also not Sanure.

I'm with Empiricist on the meaning of Life.
You are.

Actually, I'm disagreeing with the idea that life is technically for its own proliferation. It is a mechanical tendency, not a purpose. I prefer not to assign a "purpose" as it implies that there was an intent in the creation of it.
Indeed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: April 08, 2014, 07:31:09 am »

...Your point was basically saying that the only meaning for life was circular. My point was that there are non-circular reasons for all those things you're talking about. The [reason] makes it non-circular. It completely destroys your point.
I wasn't saying that the meaning for life was circular.

...Only if you try to force it to fit that view, and strip off all the other stuff that doesn't fit your point.
Like what? Adrenaline junkies like riding on roller coasters because they enjoy the adrenaline rush they get as a consequence of riding on roller coasters.

All of them. "Fighting for your life" means that you lose all of them if you don't.
So they fight for their lives because they don't want to die. They don't want to die because they enjoy living. Wasn't that my point?

The intent in the creation of life (for humans at least) is generally to have an orgasm, but that's not connected to the issue.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1030