Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1014533 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #8805 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:25 pm »

From what I understand, it's less mind control and more 'Hey brain, Robert's a human!' leaving the brain to its own devices to rationalize away the inconsistencies. So basically disguise through suggestion. Not saying your argument is totally invalid, but it still seems to have room for debate. Plus,
No selling stuff without explanation is not cool
I've been explaining it as best I could. IIRC, I also provided a (brief) explanation of why Will would notice the discrepancies. And why didn't Marie rationalize away her suspicions, hm?

And Will's power doesn't come from his brain. It wouldn't be affected by Robert's power.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »

Well yeah, but you should have done it BEFORE no selling. :P

Anyways, Marie doesn't do it because Marie's thought process doesn't cause her to automatically make stuff up to fit what Robin's power is telling it. It's a consequence of her being a creature of nightmare, and thus more used to emotions and ideas than proper senses and stimulus. Besides, I did refuse to just go lolnope entirely. Hence the whole thing about telepathy.

Post explained it better.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:13 pm »

So you want my IC posts interrupted by a lengthy explanation of everything Will knows and how he knows it?

Anyways, Marie doesn't do it because Marie's thought process doesn't cause her to automatically make stuff up to fit what Robin's power is telling it. It's a consequence of her being a creature of nightmare, and thus more used to emotions and ideas than proper senses and stimulus. Besides, I did refuse to just go lolnope entirely. Hence the whole thing about telepathy.
And why does Robert's power work like that?*
And I don't really remember what exactly you're talking about with the telepathy thing. Besides, technically all he ever did was realize something was off. I never said he understood exactly what was going on from the moment he laid eyes on Robert.

*Another consideration: In absence of canonical explanation for how superpowers from the Super Academy universe work, I turn to the source I based Will on: Tattletale from Worm. Without getting into spoilers, Robert's powers would work better on Marie than they would on Will's power...and Will's power would, again, point out the dispecrancy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: March 03, 2014, 09:13:07 pm »

So you want my IC posts interrupted by a lengthy explanation of everything Will knows and how he knows it?

Sure, why not?

Also, everyone assumed you said he knew everything and you never bothered to correct us.

As for the argument: basically, when it comes down to it, it sounds to me like Robert's power works with the aid of the viewer's subconscious. It tells them an idea ("Robert is a perfectly normal, boring  human!") and then they subconsciously conjure up images, sounds, and all that to rationalize that idea and make it make sense. Your mind does this sort of thing all the time for little stuff like filling in gaps in your vision .Because Marie's subconscious (or conscious for that matter) is uniquely endowed with the ability to not give a fuck about rationalizing ideas with senses, well...

As for your arguments, the perception doesn't work, because the power would just subconsciously fill in the little tells all the better, I assume.

Magical energies would still work, of course. But pure thought and perception would not, if that's what it is.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: March 03, 2014, 09:14:19 pm »

Sure, why not?

Also, everyone assumed you said he knew everything and you never bothered to correct us.

As for the argument: basically, when it comes down to it, it sounds to me like Robert's power works with the aid of the viewer's subconscious. It tells them an idea ("Robert is a perfectly normal, boring  human!") and then they subconsciously conjure up images, sounds, and all that to rationalize that idea and make it make sense. Your mind does this sort of thing all the time for little stuff like filling in gaps in your vision .Because Marie's subconscious (or conscious for that matter) is uniquely endowed with the ability to not give a fuck about rationalizing ideas with senses, well...

As for your arguments, the perception doesn't work, because the power would just subconsciously fill in the little tells all the better, I assume.

Magical energies would still work, of course. But pure thought and perception would not, if that's what it is.

Would it work on robots?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:22 pm »

Sure, why not?

Would it work on robots?
No. In fact, Marie mentioned as much as one point, and Pont gave no objections.
Certainly, if there's a camera that records him, it won't be fooled.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

Damnit. I still can't think of 'Robert' and not think immediately of Metal Gear, more specifically thinking of Decoy Octopus. I'm not sure how to react to such.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

I'm the one who started calling him Decoy Octopus without even knowing you were referencing. It just sounds cool.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: March 03, 2014, 09:37:02 pm »

Why would you assume I said that?

...So, because Marie's subconscious doesn't care about rationalizing stuff, Robert's power doesn't work on her? He'd better watch out for scientists, then.
And you don't need to rationalize if you know. I'd say Will would be even less into rationalization than Marie.

Why? Robert's power works on people, not powers. Will's power certainly isn't part of his subconscious; it's much too vocal (whenever I feel like it wouldn't clutter things up and/or would be funny) and separate from Will's consciousness for that. His power would, unaffected by Robert's, be telling Will things that are off with what Robert's power was telling his subconscious. And, since he hasn't really needed to rationalize anything ever since he got his power, the fact that he is rationalizing stuff would also clue in his power that something was wrong. If nothing else, it starts a feedback loop that his conscious ind couldn't help but notice.
Sig

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »

...So, because Marie's subconscious doesn't care about rationalizing stuff, Robert's power doesn't work on her? He'd better watch out for scientists, then.
And you don't need to rationalize if you know. I'd say Will would be even less into rationalization than Marie.

Well, I suppose the idea of Robert is that it makes you 'know' he's 'human', hence the rationalization. Even scientists wouldn't be immune, because the mind just works that way afaik.

That said, I was going to ask about the apparent seperation of Will's mind and his power. And yeah, that works just fine, thank you.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: March 03, 2014, 09:51:14 pm »

I go out for dinner and an argument on whether Will should continue being a mary sue by no selling a characters power breaks out.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: March 03, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »

Robert's power is like that one device from the Vampires of Venice episode of doctor who. It make the brain assume they thing you are looking at is human, and the brain fills in the gaps. E.I. if you looked at his reflection, you wouldn't see a human, but something else. It kinda warns you of danger. In Robert's case, your brain sees a human, since he doesn't show any danger. Also, Does his power work on perception or rationalization?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: March 03, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »

Robert's power is like that one device from the Vampires of Venice episode of doctor who. It make the brain assume they thing you are looking at is human, and the brain fills in the gaps. E.I. if you looked at his reflection, you wouldn't see a human, but something else. It kinda warns you of danger. In Robert's case, your brain sees a human, since he doesn't show any danger. Also, Does his power work on perception or rationalization?
This is pretty much what I said.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: March 03, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »

This is pretty much what I said.

I figured :P Still, is it perception or rationalization? cause if it is rationalization, then Sen is immune to the power as well.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: March 03, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »

Well, I suppose the idea of Robert is that it makes you 'know' he's 'human', hence the rationalization. Even scientists wouldn't be immune, because the mind just works that way afaik.
And why doesn't Marie's mind "just work that way"? After all, her psychology has always proven to be essentially human, which makes sense as she is (as I understand it) formed from the (nightmarish components of the) subconscious of humanity.

That said, I was going to ask about the apparent seperation of Will's mind and his power. And yeah, that works just fine, thank you.
Well...it's a thing. I'd say more, but like I said...spoilers. So read Worm, it's worth the read anyways.

I go out for dinner and an argument on whether Will should continue being a mary sue by no selling a characters power breaks out.
It's not Mary Suing unless it causes Will to take over the narrative. It certainly isn't Mary Suing if it doesn't have any impact on the plot!

Robert's power is like that one device from the Vampires of Venice episode of doctor who.
Helpful, since all I've seen are the adipose episode and the Fires of Pompeii one.

It make the brain assume they thing you are looking at is human, and the brain fills in the gaps. E.I. if you looked at his reflection, you wouldn't see a human, but something else. It kinda warns you of danger. In Robert's case, your brain sees a human, since he doesn't show any danger.
Huh?

Also, Does his power work on perception or rationalization?
Will's? Not really. Again, it's based on the power of Tattletale from Worm; you can see it in action in this interlude, although be warned: It contains (minor) spoilers.
If not Will's, or really even if it is, learn how to use pronouns unambiguously.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 1030