Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35

Author Topic: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms  (Read 45476 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Build a Colony: The Tragic tale of Rearden's Arms
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:23 am »

Fit the robots with backpack mounted power supplies. Feeds both the gun and the bot.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2013, 12:41:19 pm »

Fit the robots with backpack mounted power supplies. Feeds both the gun and the bot.
The bot has internal supplies, so well. Additionally, if the GM wants to bother with it, the robot and laser rifle probably operate on wildly different voltages and wattages. So you need to install an tranformator into the system.

I don't think not having separate battery systems will be a problem for now.

Action Proposal:

-Damaged bot: Fix self. (If impossible, get the AI researcher to fix you)
-Hank: Continue reverse engineering weaponry
-Other scientist: Finish the blueprints
-Robot 2: Continue processing materials
-Robot 3: Make some power wires for the digging machines.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2013, 03:08:01 pm »

okay consider this my PTW,

also... instead of repairing the broken bot, why don't we take it apart to reverse engineer it. We lose one of our workers, but we start the route to improving them. if we patch it up we're just spending time on it and we should really reverse engineer one sooner or later right?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2013, 03:35:28 pm »

also... instead of repairing the broken bot, why don't we take it apart to reverse engineer it. We lose one of our workers, but we start the route to improving them. if we patch it up we're just spending time on it and we should really reverse engineer one sooner or later right?
Because we already have the blueprints somehow (Did we buy them? I don't know)? No point in reverse engineering something when you have the plans.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:37:29 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2013, 04:06:53 pm »

Because we already have the blueprints somehow (Did we buy them? I don't know)? No point in reverse engineering something when you have the plans.

I see now, yeah I don't see any reason to take the broken one apart then. I doubt it'll help us designing improvements.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »

Why not take the broken one and re design him with a specific task in mind. Like strap a laser rifle where his arm was make a dedicated combat drone. Or mabeye a jackhammer or something.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:38 pm »

Why not take the broken one and re design him with a specific task in mind. Like strap a laser rifle where his arm was make a dedicated combat drone. Or mabeye a jackhammer or something.
...Not a terrible idea, although I'd go with some sort of building tool that happens to make a better weapon than a robo-slap.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »

(Did we buy them? I don't know)?
I think you did? I don't know?
(if not then free blueprints)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »

...Not a terrible idea, although I'd go with some sort of building tool that happens to make a better weapon than a robo-slap.
We don't need a combat drone at the moment. (Also, a weak framed combat drone without combat software is going to be pretty useless), and we only have one of each building tool. We need to reverse engineer those first.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:10 am »

PTW.

Just fix the robot. The arm is good enough, as it can hold more than one tool. At this point in the game, we need a general worker.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2013, 05:48:00 am »

We don't need a combat drone at the moment. (Also, a weak framed combat drone without combat software is going to be pretty useless), and we only have one of each building tool. We need to reverse engineer those first.
The intent would be a construction drone that can be used as a combat drone in an emergency.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »

I don't think attaching a rifle would be enough. We would need to program and upload targeting algorithms and such.
While it's definitely not a bad idea to create those sooner or later, I would just repair and reattach the broken arm as it is.

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »

I would suggest we hold off on the combat drone for now.

I had an idea for what we should aim to design as our first set of combat bots:

First would be a drone designed purely for combat, we wouldn't be using these for labor at all. It would include:
Mk1 Light Combat Drone
2x Laser Rifles in place of it's arms
x1 Extended Battery for longer deployment and more charge for the rifles
x1 combat/targeting software package

These would be cheap to produce and do everything we need them to do for now. It would only need us to research the battery and the software package before we can start producing them. That would quickly get us some guards for our base and some product we can sell to start us off.

Next I was thinking about what we could make that would increase the effectiveness of the Mk1 Light Combat Drones without researching a whole new model of drone. I thought maybe a commander or a heavy weapons bot might help. Then I got an awesome idea:
Mk1 Armored Drone Command Carrier
x1 Heavy Laser Turret as heavy weapons support for the squad
x1 Solar Generator
x1 Medium Capacitor
x6 Drone Carrier Banks designed to both recharge the drones and securely hold the drones in transit
x1Squad Command AI uploaded with navigation, combat, command, and targeting software

This would essentially be an APC piloted by an AI that would command and direct the squad. This would provide better squad organization and heavy weapons support in combat. Plus as a bonus it would greatly increase the range and speed that the squad could be deployed.

We could sell the drones separately as one-offs for X amount of credits (Probably 500?) and then have a package deal to buy 1 ADCC and 6 LCDs. It's what I think would be best to work towards for now.

EDIT: With this plan in mind I think that Rearden should research a combat software package.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:04:12 pm by Oblivion2007 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2013, 02:30:56 pm »

What ever we do, the robots must have an arm of some sort. Partially for stability, partially for other things like climbing, getting up, etc. We could however develop some sort of shoulder mounted laser rifle or ones that can still act as hands.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »

They could simply have four legs for stability. They don't have to look human-like. I'd actually prefer if they didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35