Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Revisiting my achilles heel: Baths and cleaning  (Read 4165 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting my achilles heel: Baths and cleaning
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28:52 am »

Haven't had any problem with syndrome build-up for dwarves with dwarven bath ( channel with 2/7 of water in it ). Though I always make sure they have gloves and hoods on top of the necessary sock, trouser and dress.

Might it be your dwarves are suffering from lack of hand and head coverings?

Almost all of my syndrome losses I've gotten are from inhalanted ones, so I might just not have enough experience with different ones, really.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 02:38:37 pm »

I don't get what the problem is here, last time (31.25) I tried a dwarven bathtub, I basically just dug a 1 tile wide channel on my main hallway, had it fill up to 3/7 with water using bucket brigade and it worked like a charm.

On the outside there was an evil rain, my dwarves would get covered in the muck, get inside, pass through the flooded channel and they would drop all the muck on the channel and get a coating of water all over, even when the water was already contaminated they would still leave with a water covering, so where's the problem here?

Animals.  Well, mostly animals, a few serfs without proper clothing here and there.  The bathtub works great if the creature stepping on the ramp has shoes or boots (socks are probably just as good), but the insect and vermin killers will catch any and all contagion via their feet, and then carry it into the fort.  When they die you get tantrums (and I'm not sure, but can't some syndrome spread from the dead host it infected?)

That's usually how I first realize I'm on the leading edge of a syndrome outbreak; cats start exploding, guard dogs start keeling over, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I'm alright seeing casualties on the battlefield and even sickened or dead from FB goo while confronting it, but syndrome has some seriously latent effects sometimes.  I've made it my #1 nemesis.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »

I don't get what the problem is here, last time (31.25) I tried a dwarven bathtub, I basically just dug a 1 tile wide channel on my main hallway, had it fill up to 3/7 with water using bucket brigade and it worked like a charm.

On the outside there was an evil rain, my dwarves would get covered in the muck, get inside, pass through the flooded channel and they would drop all the muck on the channel and get a coating of water all over, even when the water was already contaminated they would still leave with a water covering, so where's the problem here?

Animals.  Well, mostly animals, a few serfs without proper clothing here and there.  The bathtub works great if the creature stepping on the ramp has shoes or boots (socks are probably just as good), but the insect and vermin killers will catch any and all contagion via their feet, and then carry it into the fort.  When they die you get tantrums (and I'm not sure, but can't some syndrome spread from the dead host it infected?)

That's usually how I first realize I'm on the leading edge of a syndrome outbreak; cats start exploding, guard dogs start keeling over, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I'm alright seeing casualties on the battlefield and even sickened or dead from FB goo while confronting it, but syndrome has some seriously latent effects sometimes.  I've made it my #1 nemesis.

Socks are good enough, I almost never makes shoes since I runs civilian military. Though animals, can't really do much with them, unfortunately, outside of pasturing them or covering the goop bath with grates/hatches to move animals to other side.

Syndromes don't technically spread, in sense of being a disease, they have to be breathed in, smeared on skin or injected into blood. Contact syndrome's the source of most reports since the frigging thing gets everywhere and sticks around for loooong time. Some of them can have hugely delayed effect, too. Splatters can multiply if it's left around, too, so that don't helps for the contact ones.

Well, come to think of it, contact syndromes are like disease, huh? Well, one that can be prevented by covering up, but still.

My usual procedure is to use hatches or grates to clean up non-bath splatters, I think roads and bridges works, too, but they takes too long for me and dwarves are way too slow to clean up on their own. Civilian militia usually have plenty of boots by time forgotten beasts shows up, anyone with hauling enabled pretty much must have boots and gauntlets for me, that's probably why I don't really experience much contact issues. Helps that only animals I really keeps around are the birds for their eggs, and they're stashed out of the way.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:27 pm »

For example, if your bathtub is a one tile channel, is it a good idea to make the bathtub's floor a floodgate and have it refilled by hand when drained?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 03:57:30 pm »

Have you considered burning the contaminants away?

And have you read this thread?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93780.msg2639091#msg2639091
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »

Micromanagement solution: If most of your dwarves have Masonry enabled, and it makes sense to store lots of soap near your baths, a workable solution would be to immediately cover/deconstruct floor tiles, as soon as you notice that they're contaminated. Obviously, this requires a lot of work on your part, but if you only have 1 well to babysit, it's not too difficult to do the cleanup work after a big fight--a least, provided that everyone in the fort has some idle time to go take a bath.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of washing with Lava--if you had a well in a 3x5 room with a floodgate for a door, and you dropped in 2 tiles of 7/7 magma, would that result in all 14 floor tiles being covered with 1/7 magma which would then evaporate, or would the magma be more likely to drain out through the well itself?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »

Do syndrome contaminants spread through walking even if the walking-spreads-spatter setting in the init file is off for fort mode?

And have you read this thread?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93780.msg2639091#msg2639091
Given the first few posts in that thread, and given the fact that dwarves who survive having all their fat melted off will no longer be able to be damage by being on fire, I gather that if you could get ahold of a burnable artifact mechanism you'd be able to create a well that fireproofs dwarves who attempt to clean themselves. Imagine having a fireproof military wade through magma to defend your fortress, or maybe even wade through it on their way out and then set any melee enemies on fire as they battle. That would be a sight to behold. But I suppose there are probably ways to automate the process of fireproofing your dwarves that don't require a burnable artifact mechanism and are therefore, in that regard, easier.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

Actually on page 4 he ended up solving the whole problem without melting any dwarves. Sphalerite posted a full description of how his self-cleaning well works complete with screenshots.

That's why I asked if he'd read the thread. I meant the whole thread.

Not to mention that first page is hilarious.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »

Would it be an exploit to build a floor over the top the outdoors?  I was initially thinking just to cover the outdoor pastures, but why not just build thousands of bricks and blocks and start by making a nice tower off the highest point of the map, then build a floor as far as you can.  By then you'll have master masons or potters or glassmakers, probably all three, and you'll be protected from the elements in the first place.

Bonus points to make floodgates evil rain collection points to give the evil rain to siege goblins, if this is possible.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »

No, I wouldn't call that an exploit. Building a glass dome over the world to protect yourself from the rain sounds very dwarflike.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

I'm thinking of a device I'm going to call the "bath pulse".

Here's a really rough design.
u- entrance
n- exit
=- space for water to flow
D= water source
#= Fortification

n
D==========#
    u

A dwarf wants to path from u to n. However, something upon his entry triggers a flow of pressurized water! The dwarf is swept down the channel and clambers out at point n, completely clean. Contaminants continue down the channel to a fortification. Water passes through; contaminants don't.
Provided the pressurized water mechanism takes a while to turn itself off, contaminants are contained in a single square dwarfs won't walk in.

Working out the specifics on this is something I don't have time for, unfortunately.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »

The simplest way I can think of is to put a track across the bottom of your bathtub and occasionally send a minecart with a burning artifact through. It should burn away all the contaminants. You might have to drain the water out first to stop it from slowing down the cart. 

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 09:38:08 pm »

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried depressurized water (cornered) allowed to spread to 2/3 tiles wide and then dumped into a grate that's NOT in the walkway, say 4/5 blocks down stream?

Should only be at 1/7, maybe 2/7, most of the time, and should get most of the contiminants out of the way, if not properly destroyed.  At the end of that system perhaps use an atom smasher and/or if your dwarfs never seem to get pushed down that far you can just remove the grates and let the stuff flow to the edge of map drain?

I may try that setup with my next waterfall construction, but it'd take a lot of tweaking.  Right now that waterfall has 7/7 on the lower level under the grates.  Not sure you can do it that way, but it'd work as a foot washer anyway.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 10:46:20 pm »

Personally I use a bath/toilet combo.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the water gets too gross, the second safety hatch opens and water rushes through, sending it down the stairs to the level below where it washes through fortifications out of the map... Or at least down below where it needn't be a worry. The level below is 2 wide, so even if a dorf (or giant war jaguar) gets washed down they usually end up safe and can walk back up and get inside. It's worked out well so far, but granted I don't remember if it's had to deal with actual contagious syndromes yet; most of the time my dwarves just get boiling extract spit in their eyeballs.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

@Button, that's a mighty dwarfy setup right there.

I wonder if I could get a constant SLOW stream of water moving that never rises above 4/7.  That way the contaminants will wash away on their own, albeit slowly.  Diagonals maybe, but the right flow would be hard to achieve.
Recently made a dwarven bathtub that did just that. It was surprisingly simple.

I made a channel 3 tiles wide and 5 tiles long (wanted a buffer of a couple of tiles for my 3 tile wide hallway). The source end of the bathtub was a single tile wide and about 4 tiles or so long. There was a pressure plate set to 0-2 water and a floodgate that was holding back non-pressurized water (used a diagonal to kill pressure. The drain end was a few tiles long leading to a grate below which was the drain heading to the map edge.

Code: [Select]
Z+0
########...###########
######VVVVVVV#########
######.......#########
######VVVVVVV#########
########...###########

Z-1
########...###########
######AAAAAAA#########
...............^X#....
######AAAAAAA####.####
########...###########

The main hallway in this diagram is a N/S 3 wide passage. Water is coming in from the east via a pump stack so it is pressurized. Pressure is reduced via the diagonal jog just prior to the floodgate.
Only thing I didn't like is that the system wasn't self starting. When the dwarf linked the 0-2/7 water pressure plate to the floodgate, the floodgate didn't open even though the pressure plate had no water on it. So I linked a lever to the floodgate and flipped it. Once the pressure plate got wet, it worked properly and the floodgate opened and closed as the water level rose and fell on the pressure plate. The result was that the traffic area of the bathtub stayed pretty constant at a water level between 2 and 3. Saw plenty of dwarves path through the water (I placed the bathtub between the main fortress and an "outside" area that was designated as a meeting zone to keep cave adaptation at bay. I figured that spot would have a lot of traffic since they'd go to the meeting area while on breaks and their food and booze were on the other side of the tub. In any case, of the dwarves that went through the tub, I saw no tendency for them to be pushed towards the exit. And the rate that the tube was self cleaning was rather fast. I'd see a splotch of red as crap got washed off the dwarf, then over a span of 10 seconds or so real time, the splotch would migrate to the left leaving things nice and clean behind. The ramp and floor tiles were pretty much cleaned immediately. However, the wall tiles on the lower level got contaminated and stayed that way unless a dwarf with the cleaning labor well .... cleaned.

Things of note. The water source from the right must be pressurized. I figured that out when I decided to stop the water and let the system drain (I hadn't paved the drainage channel and some trees were starting to grow. Figured that I should handle that problem before they grew large enough to block the system. When the water level in the source side dropped to somewhere between 5/7 and 6/7 the floodgate stopped opening and closing. I suspect what happened was getting a smaller slug of water in that single tile diagonal to the floodgate caused the pressure switch to toggle from on to off to on too quickly and the floodgate missed its cue. Also it seems that the length of tiles from the floodgate to the ramp area is useful in buffering the flow. Right at the floodgate the water does get to 5/7 or 6/7 pretty frequently. But that's to be expected since you're getting water from the 7/7 tile every time the gate opens. But a few tiles later, the flow is smoothed out.
Pages: 1 [2]