Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 575620 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4260 on: June 30, 2021, 09:59:30 am »

Even in "the main multiverse", the only reason I can see that Beholders are this way or that way is their own hatred of mutation that keeps them more or less the same. I can easily see a Beholder mutation resulting in a variant not being super paranoid if their genetic/dream whatever makeup is not purged from existence at birth.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 01, 2021, 08:56:27 am »

Beholders are intellectual property of the Wizards of the Coast and as such can't be shown in the comic. (Proof!)
This is clearly an eye stalker, a 9 pupil fox, or whatever have you. Compared to the more famous beholder, they can have nicer personalities and can have mommies.

But really, this comic hasn't tried to be faithful to the details of D&D in a long time
Ohey the monster in #32 finally got its screen time, only 1205 strips delayed.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 01, 2021, 09:17:51 am »

In the 3.5 book Lords of Madness Beholders reproduced via asexual reproduction, vomiting a clutch of baby beholders out of their mouth. They would then eat any that were too divergent from themselves physically and chase the rest away from their lair.

The surviving beholderlings would then wander off individually and go find their own lair as they grew.

A rare few beholders are able to cooperate with things, usually only with things they consider underlings or things so powerful that even a beholder has to concede defeat, but Xanathar from the Forgotten Realms has a pet goldfish which he is very fond of.

Theoretically this beholder is just one that Serini met when it was little, adopted and helped work out it's more major neuroses.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4263 on: July 07, 2021, 07:55:13 am »

This would perhaps be a convenient time for the reprisal of Belkar's sheet of lead.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 07, 2021, 08:07:35 am »

He doesn't have it anymore. It was last seen in the hands of an Azure City resistance member.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 07, 2021, 08:44:39 am »

That third bolt looks like it's headed straight for Elan.

Anyone else think this is going to feature a "Look behind you!" moment that gets Sunny to swivel around and remove the zone long enough for a gamechanger spell to go off?

This would perhaps be a convenient time for the reprisal of Belkar's sheet of lead.

Does antimagic block antimagic?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 07, 2021, 09:54:36 am »

I do not think it does. And even if it did, lead is heavy. He would probably carry it in his bag of holding.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: July 09, 2021, 05:35:41 pm »

Okay, so that hammer isn't an artifact.

Also interesting is how Serini, assumes Haley, a Rogue like her, is the leader. Though Haley is, if I remember correctly, second-in-command.

It does not. Ignoring the fact that lead in of itself does not have antimagic properties - it's merely dense enough that a sheet is enough so that some spells that can pierce thin barriers can't penetrate it - two antimagic fields overlapping do not interact or stack. Nor does lead block an antimagic field.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: July 09, 2021, 05:47:38 pm »

If Haley's second-in-command, then she is, at this moment, in command.

Roy's outta it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 14, 2021, 10:02:56 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: July 14, 2021, 10:24:07 am »

Clever Elan! Clever Haley! Yay!
It's kind of amazing to watch the team be successful without Roy, hehe.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: July 15, 2021, 01:01:03 pm »

Yeah I hope this is the "heroes fight before teaming up" scene because I want these guys against Xykon

Edit: Theory -- the halfling and her "evil" friends and family is what is going to enable Redcloak's "there is a better way" character development and betrayal of Xykon.

Also: would xykon be able to protect against an antinagic ray?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:07:02 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: July 15, 2021, 01:42:37 pm »

I'm not sure of the exact limits of antimagic (it's left vague exactly what spells can get though it) it's possible that even Resilient Sphere can block it, but failing that Xykons for sure strong enough to cast other spells that can block it explicitly assuming he has them on his spell list (and presumably will, if the story calls for him to do so)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: July 15, 2021, 02:24:46 pm »

I'm not sure of the exact limits of antimagic (it's left vague exactly what spells can get though it) it's possible that even Resilient Sphere can block it, but failing that Xykons for sure strong enough to cast other spells that can block it explicitly assuming he has them on his spell list (and presumably will, if the story calls for him to do so)

Issue that has people scratching their head is that Xykon's known Epic Spells (The ones that can break through the AM field) dont seem up to punching through the beholder trap - Beholders aren't casting magic that his Epic Dispel can stop, and Cloister doesnt seem useful either.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: July 15, 2021, 02:44:32 pm »

You don't need epic spells to break though an antimagic field, the correct spells remain unaffected, wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall are specifically called out and most are fairly reasonable for Xykon to have, and the door is left open for other spells, wall of force doesn't even specifically say it's fine against antimagic, just that it blocks "most spells" which really opens the door to any spell with such weaselly wordings like Resilient sphere, which is pretty similar to wall of force.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 313